IGNORED

Drop-in Lynx II speaker replica

Passive Matrix

So I was thinking about putting together a replica of the Lynx II speaker unit using modern parts. New speakers of the right size and impedance are readily available but I have run into a problem identifying the 2-pin female connector.

Does anybody know if these connectors are still manufactured today or if equivalent compatible parts are available? I haven't been able to locate a part number but I would think it would be an 'off the shelf' product seeing as how Atari was looking to minimize manufacturing costs at the time.

Would a connector that was the same size suffice? I assume it is not essential for it to 'lock' into place and that as long as it was firmly connected the friction would hold it together.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

post-64752-0-05955200-1544547798.jpg

Real question is...how would it sound against these replacements currently available?

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/Lynx%20Speaker.htm

Yes good quality replacements are already available, but Best Electronics requires a minimum $20 USD purchase and international shipping is not cheap either. I wanted to make up something cheap for those who are not confident with a soldering iron.

Yes good quality replacements are already available, but Best Electronics requires a minimum $20 USD purchase and international shipping is not cheap either. I wanted to make up something cheap for those who are not confident with a soldering iron.

I'm with ya there and genuinely curious to hear your solution in action. I haven't a source for the plugs as I would just cut the old wire off and splice it onto the new to have the connector. I know you want something easy for those whom aren't comfortable or access to an iron. Keep us updated!

I got my replacement speaker from eBay. The plug doesn't fit perfectly but the speaker works excellently :)

Ah I suspected a similar plug with the same sized holes would do the job, my problem is I am a bit of a perfectionist ;)

I wonder if 3D printing is accurate enough to make exact copies?

Looking closer I noticed the letters JAE on the plug. A quick google takes me to Japan Aviation Electronics Industry, Ltd. I wonder if I am on the right track? Perhaps I should send them an email?

post-64752-0-41828800-1544588406.jpg