IGNORED

Keyboard issue and which Best Elec keyboard is better?

Swami

My stock (NTSC) 800xl is now only printing a constant line of asterisks. I removed the asterisk key and it keeps doing it. It has the mylar liner with the metal back plate. Cleaned the mylar contact to the mobo with alcohol and did not help. Sometimes, it does not print at all, but if I push down on where the asterisk key was, it starts printing the number 5 constantly.

I replaced it with the keyboard from my stock PAL 800xl, which is a mechanical Type #2 keyboard, and it works fine again.

Question #1: Is this a simple issue with the bad keyboard or a dead mylar?

Questin #2: Best Elec has the upgraded lifetime mylar keyboard and an unknown version of the mechanical keyboard that is probably 35 year old NOS. Which is the better keyboard?

Thanks!

check out this topic:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/105170-600800xl-keyboard-variants/

i own a type 1 and a type 5. Contrary to the review, my type 5 has a nice feel to it and isnt rattly so im not sure if the reviewer just had a very tired one?

anyhoo, hope this helps :)

Call or email Brad at Best and ask him some questions about the two keyboards. But a suggestion -- know what you want to ask before you call or email him, and be concise. I've bought a few keyboards from Best, but I don't remember what I bought. However they have all been fine.

My only bugaboo about XL keyboards is making sure I get one that has two mechanical connections for SHIFT. Otherwise, it is difficult to push without the key binding.

-Larry

Best does still advertise NOS mechanical keyboards for sell but I am not sure which "type" they are.

I don't know how easy it is to clean mechanical versions of XL keyboards, but on the 800 I just got with it's mechanical keyboard, about half a dozen keys weren't working, but after merely removing the key caps to reach the mechanical arms and clean them with some contact fluid, the keyboard works like new again now.

Best does still advertise NOS mechanical keyboards for sell but I am not sure which "type" they are.

If he has a mix, then it might be like 800xl mobos, where I asked him if he had fully socketed one, and he said yes, but would charge me double for one ($150!!), since they were mixed together and would have to have someone search through them. I didn't know if I could get him to figure out which mechanical ones he has or not.

Has anyone bought a mechanical keyboard from Best?