IGNORED

One minor flaw with ambidextrous joysticks

tripletopper

I noticed one thing unusual about right handed joysticks. The Sega-made Sega Master System joystick, which has a right handed joystick, maps left-to-left, which means if you’re rapid firing the 1 button, you’re rapid firing with your middle finger if you want access to both buttons simultaneously, and boy, that is tiring.

Thankfully, the Beeshu joystick for the Master System and Turbo Grafx 16 have a right-handed stick mode, AND the buttons are mapped with the main button on the index finger. (the one you press fastest) which for most games work perfectly.

But I own one game for the TG-16, and know of another I might like which might a problem with, has the buttons reversed. Namely Side Arms, and possibly Pac-Land have te same problem. With a normal joypad and a Turbo Stick, and the Beeeshu Ultimate Stick when left handed, have Left shoot in Side Arms and (assuming the controls are the way I think) Left Run on the Left, and the respective rights on the right. I also own a Colecovision Tutankham and Front Line, which have a similar problem.

But because the right handed mapping is Index-to-index, It’s reversed.

I don’t know if the controllers are as easy as a pin swap or not. I know some machines are, some machines aren't. I also assume it’s cheaper to buy a physical pin swapper for a system that works for instead of an electronic converter, especially if one doesn’t currently exist.

If a PIn-swap adapter can be made for the TurboGrafx 16 that a) is cheaper than the Tototek PS2-> TG16 adapter, and b) has less delay because there’s no processing, I’d like to purchase one, and use it with my Beeshu.

But if not, I’ll use a PS2 -> TG16 adapter from Tototek and flip the buttons on my discrete input telephone operator switchboard device. By the way, I only see 2-button mapping for the TG16 on the Tototek website, I heard Street Fighter has a 6 button mode, and Forgotten Worlds has a 3 button mode. Any other "more than 2 button" games I should be aware of? And does anyone own a Tototek PS2-> TG16 or PC Engine adapter, AND a 3 button and/or a 6 button game?

Also wondering if any games for a pre-Genesis system have a similar problem with righthanding the game. Especially ones where there is no software-based button swap option.

I think with the sega two button controllers you could just swap pins 6 and 9. I don't think pin swapping would work with a turbografx controller. Maybe you could open it up and rewire the buttons with a switch.

How is the sega control stick joystick; do you like using it. The Beeshu joystick looks alright; never seen one before.

I think with the sega two button controllers you could just swap pins 6 and 9. I don't think pin swapping would work with a turbografx controller. Maybe you could open it up and rewire the buttons with a switch.

How is the sega control stick joystick; do you like using it. The Beeshu joystick looks alright; never seen one before.

The Sega handle feels a little blocky. But the main problem is the middle-finger pumping for shooters and other similar games that require rapid pressing of the 1 button and needs the 2 button.

The Beeshu has a better handle, a nice arcade-style clicky joystick, like all the Beeshu sticks AND for most game is correct by reversing 1 and 2 and having the rapid fire press be on the Index finger, not middle. That’s true of the NES version, the TG-16 Version, and the SMS version.

So I can use a pin swap adapter and have both my Sega Stick be proper 1 on index, as well as use my Beeshu in games where left=left action, like Tutankham, Side Arms and Pac Land. Are there any games like that on the NES or SMS? The SMS is each, just use the Sega brand arcade stick.

But the one system where that helps the most, the TG16, which has 2 games I know of with that flaw, is not as simple as pin swap.

Is the NES as easy as a pin swap? And NES games that need it?

I have a Competition Pro stick for the 5200, and lefties would like the "main" bottom button on the right. is there a pin swap adapter for that? Does the 5200 have distinct pins for top and bottom fire?

Except for the 5200 and the TG16, this discussion is mainly hypothetical. The TG16 is not as easy as a pin swap. I would like a pin swap dongle for the 5200 to service my leftie friends. I might consider an SMS version if I find a game with left-to-left righty mapping. If you know of such a game, let me know.