Photo

Atari Flashback and Tempest 4K: Bad without proper controls?

Atari Flashback Playstaiton 4 Xbox One Nintendo Switch Spinner Trackball Roller Paddle Tempest 4000 Atari 2600

6 replies to this topic

#1 tripletopper OFFLINE  

tripletopper

Moonsweeper

• 323 posts

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:06 PM

I just tried Tempest 4000 for the Xbox One, and I think the controls are awful, but only on "round" levels.  Sometimes I press left to go right when stopped. Also I thought a more appropriate control is to use the analog stick as a radial control.  Just roll the left stick to indicate the position along the orbit where you are, not left to go anticlockwise, right to go clockwise.   You got analog controls.  Why not use them?

For the modern systems, why isn’t there a 2600-> PS4 and a 2600->X1.  They obviously make them for PC.   You need them for Paddles, Trackballs, Spinners, Indy 500 controller, and Keypad (maybe, but a USB numeric would work too).

Since Nintendo makes Labo kits, why not Atari make a plastic Labo-like Joycon attachment.

First Paddle games already work with Switch Wheel.  If you keep both hands on the wheel, there is a natural limit to how far clockwise and anticlockwise you can rotate it.

Second for Trackball games, a Joycon could be placed in a hamster ball for trackball games, and have radio controller manaul button pressers for the up to 6 buttons on the Single Joycon.

Third, a similar setup, except with a cylinder for Major Havok.

Fourth, a joycon could be put in a similar device with a wheel that you spin.

Finally, for the light gun games, a visible light "camera gun" could be used to literally shoot the targets, instead of using a cursor that centers automatically.

Do other people agree with me, that Atari controls on modern systems are not well thought out with the default controllers?   The analog stick does like to center, and I think that hurts most Atari analog games, especially paddle games.

#2 negative1 OFFLINE  

negative1

Dragonstomper

• 796 posts

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:20 PM

Discussion about the controls for flashback here:
http://atariage.com/...22#entry4174745

later

#3 ubersaurus OFFLINE  

ubersaurus

Quadrunner

• 5,327 posts

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:01 AM

The short answer is that it's such a niche market and number of games that use them, it's not likely to be worth the money to produce them with the licensing needed to get them to work on those consoles. And then most likely you'd have to go back and patch the games to recognize those specialized controllers, which would also cost money.

• jhd likes this

#4 JeffVav OFFLINE  

JeffVav

Chopper Commander

• 156 posts

Posted Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:22 PM

Atari Flashback Classics uses the touchscreen to simulate trackballs and spinners/rollers, complete with inertia.

#5 Atariboy OFFLINE  

Atariboy

Quadrunner

• 7,700 posts
  • River Raider

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:40 PM

For the modern systems, why isn’t there a 2600-> PS4 and a 2600->X1.  They obviously make them for PC.   You need them for Paddles, Trackballs, Spinners, Indy 500 controller, and Keypad (maybe, but a USB numeric would work too).

Hopefully Jeff can correct me if I'm mistaken, but Atari Anthology back 15 years ago or so almost had USB Stelladapter support. Been a long time since those threads though, so it may have been Klove talking about Activision Anthology instead.

Probably was going to be PS2 exclusive feature I assume, since the Xbox controller ports, while USB, were of a proprietary physical design. And I imagine it probably would've only supported the joystick, but it would've been neat to see happen had time constraints allowed. 

I'd of loved to have seen the Switch version support something like this, since it's not as locked down as the competition is.

Edited by Atariboy, Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:48 PM.

#6 tripletopper OFFLINE  

tripletopper

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 323 posts

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:44 PM

Hopefully Jeff can correct me if I'm mistaken, but Atari Anthology back 15 years ago or so almost had USB Stelladapter support. Been a long time since those threads though, so it may have been Klove talking about Activision Anthology instead.

Probably was going to be PS2 exclusive feature I assume, since the Xbox controller ports, while USB, were of a proprietary physical design. And I imagine it probably would've only supported the joystick, but it would've been neat to see happen had time constraints allowed. 

I'd of loved to have seen the Switch version support something like this, since it's not as locked down as the competition is.

Isn’t the whole point of Stelladapter controls is to accept existing controls that are not easily replicable with modern control schemes, like trackballs, rollers, spinners, keypads, and paddles.  Most fo the Atari games used bizarre controllers by today’s standards.  A joystick and one button is replicable with a standard pad, and Street Fighter players use digital sticks, but doesn’t the d-pad serve the same function.

The analog pad is not the same. Don’t some of the games, like Missile Command and Super Breakout RELY on the factt he joystick doesn’t center.

Trust me, playing Warlords and Breakout with a modern thumbstick in "absolute mode" is TIRING and frustratingly inaccurate.

And the switch can have a Labo trackball, roller, and spinner combo pack, and the wheel acts likes a true paddle.

#7 Tempest Nut OFFLINE  

Tempest Nut

Star Raider

• 85 posts

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2019 4:52 PM

I just tried Tempest 4000 for the Xbox One, and I think the controls are awful, but only on "round" levels.  Sometimes I press left to go right when stopped. Also I thought a more appropriate control is to use the analog stick as a radial control.  Just roll the left stick to indicate the position along the orbit where you are, not left to go anticlockwise, right to go clockwise.   You got analog controls.  Why not use them?

Since Nintendo makes Labo kits, why not Atari make a plastic Labo-like Joycon attachment.

First Paddle games already work with Switch Wheel.  If you keep both hands on the wheel, there is a natural limit to how far clockwise and anticlockwise you can rotate it.

Second for Trackball games, a Joycon could be placed in a hamster ball for trackball games, and have radio controller manaul button pressers for the up to 6 buttons on the Single Joycon.

Third, a similar setup, except with a cylinder for Major Havok.

Fourth, a joycon could be put in a similar device with a wheel that you spin.

Finally, for the light gun games, a visible light "camera gun" could be used to literally shoot the targets, instead of using a cursor that centers automatically.

Do other people agree with me, that Atari controls on modern systems are not well thought out with the default controllers?   The analog stick does like to center, and I think that hurts most Atari analog games, especially paddle games.

You can build your own USB rotary controller that will look like a USB mouse and a USB keyboard to the Xbox one if I'm not mistaken, It does to windows so I'd think it would to the Xbox one?

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Tempest Nut, Mon Jan 7, 2019 4:53 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Atari Flashback, Playstaiton 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Spinner, Trackball, Roller, Paddle, Tempest 4000, Atari 2600

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users