IGNORED

Vita OLED 3G model: discharges battery after a day.

Gamemoose

I recently bought a PS Vita OLED model that just happened to have 3G/cellular network capability. The person I bought it from said the battery doesn't hold a charge over a day when turned off. I replaced the battery in hopes that would be the issue. Like before, the Vita had no charge after a day of being turned off. I removed the SIM card and turned off the GPS to no avail. Doing a Google search showed others had this problem as well but no real solution beyond what I did.

Anyone in the AA community have this issue with their Vitas? I'm glad I have a Vita again and the price, even with the issue, was right. I don't mind plugging it in when not in use but still would be nice to take it to work and put in a drawer without having to charge it.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Update: after doing more digging, I found that some people had problems with the cellular modem sucking power when the Vita is off. Yesterday I took the plunge and removed the modem, using a small drill bit to take out the screws as I stripped them. Apparently Sony doesn't want you removing that card.

After a full charge followed by an unplugged sit overnight, I checked the Vita with fingers crossed when I got up. It powered up and displayed a full battery charge! The only issue now is the Vita throws an error on startup stating there's a problem with the cell network. After pressing OK, all seems well.

• Like 2

I believe that wireless signal receiver can be replaced with an SD card slot, but of course your system has to be hacked in order to use it. Neither of my Vitae are 3G, so I just use a cartridge slot adapter for one of them, and the (stupidly expensive, cough) proprietary memory card for the other. Tsk tsk, Sony.

My first system can hold a charge on standby, but goes through its battery pretty quickly while I'm using it. The battery is probably going to have to be replaced eventually, and I'm not looking forward to that.

That's crazy. Can't you just turn off 3G in software? This is the Vita model I have and I'm pretty sure I can do that. I'll dig it out and see ...you really shouldn't have to resort to a screwdriver.

Obviously, cellular service on a Vita is a huge waste. ;)

You can flip on Airplane mode which kills the cellular connection. However in my case the card still seemed to continue to seek a tower or something. From what schnibbles of info I can find on this issue, there were rumblings of some units having 3G card issues. Sony would then replace the card and all was good it seemed. It was probably such a small number which is probably why there isn't much out there on this issue.

If your Vita can hold a charge overnight, chances are your modem is fine. Mine must have been in that small cluster of bad apples that the previous owner didn't want to deal with.

• Like 1