IGNORED

Does an editor like this already exist and I've just overlooked it?

Omega-TI

I'm looking for a Windows editor for TI text files in TIFILES format. Does one already exist?

Basically when I'm viewing files on my TIPI over the network, I'd like to be able to simply click on a specific file and have it load up in an editor ready to go, instead of having to load a program and then go through a bunch of convoluted steps to see it, let alone edit it.

I'm looking for a Windows editor for TI text files in TIFILES format. Does one already exist?

Basically when I'm viewing files on my TIPI over the network, I'd like to be able to simply click on a specific file and have it load up in an editor ready to go, instead of having to load a program and then go through a bunch of convoluted steps to see it, let alone edit it.

There is no way to do this in Windows when a file does not have an extension, which is the case for nearly all TI files. Even when there is a filename with a dot in it, it does not imply an extension in the conventional DOS/Windows sense.

...lee

• Like 1

There is no way to do this in Windows when a file does not have an extension, which is the case for nearly all TI files. Even when there is a filename with a dot in it, it does not imply an extension in the conventional DOS/Windows sense.

...lee

True enough, but it would be relatively easy to click one extra button when Windows asks "How do you want to open this file?" All we would have to do is get the editor into the list.

post-35324-0-86120200-1545837273_thumb.jpg

Classic99 map the TIPI drive to a drive letter then make that a dsk in classic99.. use your editor of choice..

Greg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Classic99 map the TIPI drive to a drive letter then make that a dsk in classic99.. use your editor of choice..

Yeah, that works, but to be honest, I've got too much much crap on my TIPI and I was looking for a "Lazy Man's Way" of going through all the folders and clutter for deletion or editing. Thanks though.

• Like 1

Can't you just use Fred's or Michael's programs? That's how I look at most of my files for folder review.

As for extensions, it is easy enough to add ".TI" or something of your choice to the filename. Will that trip up the TI DSR/TIPI? I don't know.

Once upon a time Heatwave and Reef BBS added an extension to all downloaded TI files to simplify PC file management. I abandoned that at some point and now only follow the convention with my own files, as I prefer to know it is a TI FILE and I like being able to sort/search/mark based on extension.

Using TIImageTool means you have to work with a disk image as storage, so I am not sure whether Omega has it in his desired work chain. if you have a TIFILES file in the PC file system you would first have to import it into a disk image.

Every now and then I consider to add an editing function in TIImageTool so that you can change files and save again. It seems easy, given that I already have an editor inside. However, I'll have to implement a rollback function first: Until now, you can only add a new file to an image, or you can read a file from the image. If you could change it, I'd first have to delete the file, then add it again, and hope that the new version has enough space on the image.

• Like 2

The question is which TIFILES should be considered editable. DV80 is likely, then maybe also DF80 (if not compressed object code), what about DF128? The bad thing (in this context) is that we have so many file formats, where PC operating systems typically only have an unstructured byte stream.

• Like 1

The question is which TIFILES should be considered editable. DV80 is likely, then maybe also DF80 (if not compressed object code), what about DF128? The bad thing (in this context) is that we have so many file formats, where PC operating systems typically only have an unstructured byte stream.

Agreed. I would say 'for sure' on the DV80 TI-Writer format, with and without the formatting codes at the end of the file. Probably DF80 as well.

In my case personal case as a TIPI user it would be nice to be able to edit a 4A/DOS batch file on the PC. For other people having the extra memory on a PC might be beneficial for editing large text files that are too big for the TI or some of the programs on the TI to handle.

Can't you just use Fred's or Michael's programs? That's how I look at most of my files for folder review.

Yes, for everything on the TI, I've been using << Fred Kaal's new Editor >> as it's an awesome program, but truth be told, I find maintenance easier via the PC. Since I install new stuff via the the PC/TIPI WiFi link anyway, having a PC-side editor would sure make life easier.