Photo

Pain, suffering, and being a kid with a TI

53 replies to this topic

#51 matthew180 OFFLINE  

matthew180

River Patroller

• 2,594 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:24 PM

Personally, I Have had about equally bad luck with disks as with tapes. I have two drives that scrape the coating right off the disks, ruining perfectly good sets.

Tape players need proper maintenance of pinch rollers and tensioning devices to track the tape steadily...

<snip>

Just some observations... :cool:

Your problem night not be the hardware.  This has been reported previously on AtariAge, but I think it is worth repeating.  How the media has been stored for all these years has a huge impact on being able to read / write it.  Baking magnetic media in an oven to dry it to the proper humidity levels is apparently not uncommon:

https://strandgames....-code-recovered

https://audio-restor....com/baking.php

There are a lot of results if you do some searching.  Unless you tapes and disks have been sitting in a nice temperature and humidity controlled environment, chances are they might need some baking.

#52 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Sunbaenim

• 13,495 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:38 PM

It's neat that we now have so many different and more reliable ways to store and retrieve our TI software these days.

1) SD card in a cartridge (FlashROM or FinalGROM)

2) SD card on the TIPI

3) SD card in a Lotharek HxC

4) On a PC accessed via HDX

.... or jusy plain backed up on AtariAge, other websites, USB sticks, CD's, etc.  While I wax nostalgic for the past as I approach geezerhood, classic storage methods are one thing I'm happy to leave in the past.

#53 Casey OFFLINE  

Casey

Moonsweeper

• 319 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:54 PM

One problem is that not all of the TI software is that flexible.  Video Chess, for instance, will only save and load a game from CS1 - there's no option for any other device.  Kind of surprising because other very early cartridges (Household Budget Management, as an example) will happily save and load from TIPI.FILENAME.  Unless there is a hacked version of Video Chess somewhere.... :)

#54 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Sunbaenim

• 13,495 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:19 PM

One problem is that not all of the TI software is that flexible.  Video Chess, for instance, will only save and load a game from CS1 - there's no option for any other device.  Kind of surprising because other very early cartridges (Household Budget Management, as an example) will happily save and load from TIPI.FILENAME.  Unless there is a hacked version of Video Chess somewhere.... :)

<< HERE >> is a thread you really ought to see....

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users