Q*Bert Arcade vs. Ports

Q*Bert

3 replies to this topic

#1 classicgamer74 OFFLINE  

classicgamer74

Moonsweeper

• 276 posts

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:29 PM

In this episode I compare the classic arcade game Q*Bert with its ports like Atari 2600, Colecovision, Intellivsion, Atari 5200, NES, and a special 7800 Homebrew.  This will be the first in a series that I call AVP (no, not Alien vs. Predator...Arcade vs. Port.)

I have to say that Q*Bert is one of my all-time favorite arcade games.  I loved the characters and the seemingly simplistic game play.  As I got better at the game, I realized that it is challenging but yet fun.  Do you guys agree?

Please subscribe if you haven't already.  Thank you. 

#2 thetick1 OFFLINE  

thetick1

Dragonstomper

• 838 posts

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:43 PM

Yep it's one of my favorite games of all time.  I play the arcade version using MAME quite often.  As a kid I played many Q*Bert hours on my C64.  The C64 port was a really good computer port:

I also had the VIC-20 port and it was just awful:

Edited by thetick1, Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:49 PM.

#3 classicgamer74 OFFLINE  

classicgamer74

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 276 posts

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2019 1:56 AM

Yep it's one of my favorite games of all time.  I play the arcade version using MAME quite often.  As a kid I played many Q*Bert hours on my C64.  The C64 port was a really good computer port:

I also had the VIC-20 port and it was just awful:

Oh Lord.  You aren't kidding!  That is the worst port I've seen!  Now I can't unsee it!!!

#4 Cynicaster ONLINE  

Cynicaster

River Patroller

• 2,582 posts

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2019 11:51 AM

Atari 2600 Q*Bert is one of my all-time favorite home ports of an arcade game.  There is definitely a strong nostalgia component to that assessment, and I realize that, objectively, it isn't even all that great of a version.  But since I can play the arcade version on my MAME cabinet at any time, I don't really have any use for any version of the game that is not either a) the real thing; b) essentially the real thing (i.e. emulation of the real thing); or c) a nostalgic experience.  Since the 2600 version is the only one that can meet criterion 'c,' that leaves only 2 versions that I ever play.  

I had a VIC in the early 80s, but I never had Q*Bert for it.  A few years ago I heard somebody describing how awful that version is so I downloaded it out of curiosity.  WOW man... just... damn.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Q*Bert

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users