Photo

Interesting way to brick your Colecovision

2 replies to this topic

#1 Ingramokhll OFFLINE  

Ingramokhll

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:22 AM

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the Coleco scene, and unfortunately discovered a new way to totally jumble the graphics on a near mint machine.

I connected my Adam module to test it and noticed the glitch soon after. I assumed it was the power supply but it turns out that one of the brass rivets in the expansion port broke loose and shorted something out.

I'm assuming the VRAM is shot, so I've already ordered the 5V upgrade, but I also got a good deal on a Canadian system with lots of accessories. My plan is to put the Canadian motherboard in the really nice case of the bricked console if the boards are the same (just for a nice collector piece) then mod the not-so-nice Canadian one. Anyway, I just wanted to give everyone a heads-up to watch for those loose rivets.

I've also been experimenting with Adam data drive repairs that I'll detail in another thread if anyone is interested.

Thanks for adding me to the community!!!

#2 ChildOfCv OFFLINE  

ChildOfCv

Star Raider

• 81 posts

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2019 12:28 AM

The VRAM isn't connected to the expansion slot.  Chances are that if something destroyed the memory, it's a short between (pick any two) +5V, -5V, and +12V.  The left side copper guide is right next to those pins.

And that being the case, if the memory is the only casualty, you should count yourself lucky.

#3 ChildOfCv OFFLINE  

ChildOfCv

Star Raider

• 81 posts

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2019 4:19 AM

Actually, perhaps you should check the voltages on those contacts.  With one probe on the metal cage or some obvious ground, the 3 contacts starting on the bottom from the far left should be -5V, +5V, +12V.  If they aren't, then it is likely that the power supply is actually what got fragged.

For that matter, first test the pins straight out of the power supply.  They're labeled on the supply itself so you can match them up.

Edited by ChildOfCv, Thu Jan 3, 2019 4:22 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users