IGNORED

NES High Score Club Round 4 - Bump 'n' Jump

asponge

The game for this round is Bump 'n' Jump.

post-27362-0-50182200-1546179988.jpg post-27362-0-22914100-1546179995.png

Game Rules:
None

Score Post Deadline: Sunday January 13 at 11:59 PM CST.

Scores so far:

mbd30: 289,260

asponge: 127,800

jblenkle: 56,520

S.BAZ: 40,360

roadrunner: 33,130

mr_intv: 29,700

empsolo: 24,940

Season Standings:
15 mbd30

12 asponge

11 S.BAZ

8 empsolo

6 roadrunner

5 bubufubu

4 Mister-VCS

2 jblenkle

General HSC Season Rules:

• The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • No point pressing.
  • Round points are awarded according to the number of participants. Every player earns 1 participation point plus 1 point for every player they outscore. For example, if there are 8 players, the player with the highest score earns 8 points, second 7 points, third 6 points, etc. down to the last player who earns 1 point.
Edited by asponge
  • Like 2

post-27362-0-59221600-1547777127.png

I've never really put much time into this game until today. Good pick mbd30.

I have a couple of scoring tips that aren't in the manual for other newcomers:

• Jumping on that pickup that drops shrubbery and whatnot yields 500 points.
  • On level 3, if you take out the pickup another one will immediately spawn so you can rack up some points by jumping on each spawned truck.
  • If you happen to hit the screw that brings you to the repair shop, continually tap the A button to increase your Power in order to collect the extra as a bonus at the end of the level.

Does anyone know if there is a trigger to spawn the "repair shop screw" or does it just show up randomly? Also, I will sometimes get a 5,000 point bonus at the end of a level. I looked this up and what I found said that you can get a 5,000 bonus for jumping an obstacle at the last second. I'm unable to replicate this. Is what I read true, or I'm I scoring this bonus through some other means?

Edited by asponge

attachicon.gifBumpNJump.jpg

I've never really put much time into this game until today. Good pick mbd30.

I have a couple of scoring tips that aren't in the manual for other newcomers:

• Jumping on that pickup that drops shrubbery and whatnot yields 500 points.
  • On level 3, if you take out the pickup another one will immediately spawn so you can rack up some points by jumping on each spawned truck.
  • If you happen to hit the screw that brings you to the repair shop, continually tap the A button to increase your Power in order to collect the extra as a bonus at the end of the level.

Does anyone know if there is a trigger to spawn the "repair shop screw" or does it just show up randomly? Also, I will sometimes get a 5,000 point bonus at the end of a level. I looked this up and what I found said that you can get a 5,000 bonus for jumping an obstacle at the last second. I'm unable to replicate this. Is what I read true, or I'm I scoring this bonus through some other means?

Having under 10 P will cause the repair shop to appear. Unfortunately sometimes it spawns in places where you can't access it.

Also, I will sometimes get a 5,000 point bonus at the end of a level. I looked this up and what I found said that you can get a 5,000 bonus for jumping an obstacle at the last second. I'm unable to replicate this. Is what I read true, or I'm I scoring this bonus through some other means?

You definitely get the 5k bonus from successfully landing on the designated target at the end of the level. It's just that some of the game's hit boxes are a little wonky.

Thanks for all the tips, mbd30. I'm not good enough to get anywhere near your score, but they're helping.

With regard to my score, I only had one life going into level 6, and I nailed it... getting both the pit stop and the 50k bonus from not crashing any cars. That was an extremely lucky run. I could have had over 300k if I practiced level 7 more. Level 7 is really hard. The furthest I've gotten is level 9.

I'm happy with my score so now I'm trying for progress. It would be awesome to be able to beat this. There are 16 stages and no continues, and randomness is a major factor, so this is among the most challenging NES games. People talk about Battletoads being the toughest but this is right up there.

Ok I'm fed up with this, time to move on.

I keep crashing 01 cars in the 1st level!

Also I lose the ability to jump sometimes, don't know what's going on.

Again the score disappeared before I could get my camera ready. But, I did find out you can hit reset and you score comes on the screen!