Photo

The mystery of the brown Music Synthesizer

12 replies to this topic

#1 Intymike OFFLINE  

Intymike

River Patroller

• 3,265 posts

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:48 AM

Normally one would say, the grey Music Synthesizer is for the North American market and the brown one is for the international market.

But from the three brown Synthesizers I own, one has the NA labels on it. It seems a small amount of brown ECS stuff was made for people who wanted fitting extensions for their Intellivision I.

Maybe that's already known.

My four Music Synthesizers:

IMG_9421.jpg

The International label with model no. 4630:

IMG_9411.jpg

IMG_9420.jpg

The NA labels with Model No. 4188 and also the special orange label:

IMG_9413.jpg

IMG_9416.jpg

IMG_9417.jpg

Edited by Intymike, Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:49 AM.

#2 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 9,578 posts

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:09 AM

The first rule of Intellivision Club is that there are countless exceptions to the rules of Intellivision Club.

#3 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 12,028 posts
  • The P-Machinery AGE is almost here!

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:32 PM

Intymike, would you consider selling or trading one of those?  I'd be interested in an Intellivision music keyboard.

-dZ.

#4 cmart604 ONLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 12,288 posts
  • Running out of things to buy.

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:24 PM

The first rule of Intellivision Club is that there are countless exceptions to the rules of Intellivision Club.

Lol!

#5 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,815 posts

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:16 PM

In 1984, Intellivision Inc acquired Mattel's Intellivision inventory. This would have included items in various stages of packaging. Things like this might have been a result of their completing what they had from the loose items in their inventory.

#6 Intymike OFFLINE  

Intymike

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,265 posts

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:34 PM

In 1984, Intellivision Inc acquired Mattel's Intellivision inventory. This would have included items in various stages of packaging. Things like this might have been a result of their completing what they had from the loose items in their inventory.

Intellivision Inc slammed Mattel Electronics stickers on the hardware?

#7 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,815 posts

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:35 PM

I don't think they would throw them away.

It could have been Mattel. Very few of these were manufactured, and the end of Mattel Electronics was near.

Edited by mr_me, Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:39 PM.

#8 intvsteve OFFLINE  

intvsteve

River Patroller

• 3,327 posts

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:37 PM

I agree with mr_me's thoughts.  It seems likely that at the very end, Mattel / Intellivision Inc. / INTV Corp. would just use existing inventory to meet whatever rapidly shrinking demand remained.  We've seen this a lot with consoles, so it should not be too surprising that it happened with these.

It's an awesome item!

#9 Intymike OFFLINE  

Intymike

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,265 posts

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:47 AM

Intymike, would you consider selling or trading one of those?  I'd be interested in an Intellivision music keyboard.

-dZ.

I probably will part from one of the brown ones. But the shipping costs from Europe to the US would be very high.

#10 SiLic0ne t0aD OFFLINE  

SiLic0ne t0aD

River Patroller

• 2,398 posts
  • Rock 'N Roller, Space Patroller

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:30 AM

I need to get a Inty keyboard too.. I hope more homebrews will make use of it.

#11 First Spear OFFLINE  

First Spear

Stargunner

• 1,367 posts

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:05 PM

This reminds me of something. Growing up in New Jersey, it seemed that the area (specifically northern NJ) got Intellivision stuff sooner than other places on the East Coast. Was NJ some kind of test market or "first run" region for Mattel back then? We had a console failure once, a friend also did, and we were both able to drive about 40 minutes north and get a repair.

Normally one would say, the grey Music Synthesizer is for the North American market and the brown one is for the international market.

But from the three brown Synthesizers I own, one has the NA labels on it. It seems a small amount of brown ECS stuff was made for people who wanted fitting extensions for their Intellivision I.

Maybe that's already known.

My four Music Synthesizers:

attachicon.gifIMG_9421.jpg

The International label with model no. 4630:

attachicon.gifIMG_9411.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_9420.jpg

The NA labels with Model No. 4188 and also the special orange label:

attachicon.gifIMG_9413.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_9416.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_9417.jpg

#12 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 3,815 posts

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2019 11:42 AM

Mattel had an Intellivision "sales" office in Englewood, NJ. In Canada, there were ten intellivision service centres, two of them were in Toronto.

Mattel probably had good Intellivision distribution in 1981/82 but retailers started dropping them in 1983. I never saw an ecs computer module on store shelves, didn't even know it was released. Did anyone here see the music keyboard in a store in 1983?

#13 m-crew OFFLINE  

m-crew

Quadrunner

• 5,202 posts

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2019 12:58 PM

Mattel had an Intellivision "sales" office in Englewood, NJ. In Canada, there were ten intellivision service centres, two of them were in Toronto.

Mattel probably had good Intellivision distribution in 1981/82 but retailers started dropping them in 1983. I never saw an ecs computer module on store shelves, didn't even know it was released. Did anyone here see the music keyboard in a store in 1983?

Im sure I seen one in a dept store back then.
Not sure if it was Eatons/Simpsons /or Sears
But I do remember looking at it and thinking wow.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users