IGNORED

Atari 5200 Jungle Hunt vs Colecovision

retroeight

I started playing around with retro games again and Jungle Hunt was always one of my favorites. I tried it on a CV emulator attached to the TV. It just didn't seem "right". I remember having it for my Atari 5200 back in the day. Now... I don't have an Atari 5200 so I had to watch some videos on YouTube of the game play and graphics. I have to say the 5200 has very sharp graphics compared to the Colecovision. Is the a8 as good as the 5200? The Atari 2600 version is junk as you can hardly play the rock scene. It is all messed up. Just garbage.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

I played both on emulators... The 5200 version was harder because you couldn't fully see the vines in front of you which made it hard to judge where it'll be when you jump. No such problems with the CV, 2600 or even the arcade.

And of course the 8-bit version is exactly the same as the 5200

• Like 1

The 5200 version has better colors, multi colored sprites and finer details. I love the colecovision but its version of jungle hunt with mostly solid colored sprites, colors that seem off and flat backgrounds doesn't compare. The 5200 buries it. Of course the arcade is the best version...as it should be

• Like 1

I grew up with Jungle King in the arcades & Jungle Hunt on the Commodore 64. I believe I have seen a Jungle Hunt arcade cab and even a Pirate Pete cab once (No idea why Taito did that one...I guess to get a little more mileage out of the Jungle Hunt 'engine')

For as much as we made fun of it bitd, 2600 Jungle Hunt really did provide us with a crazy amount of challenge and fun. I can still hear the final 'boss' music right now as I type this...haven't played the game in decades! That says something.

The issue that I have with the 2600 version is the rock stage. Going under the rocks is part of the game. How the controls work just plain suck. I do agree the game is great of that issue was fixed.

Edited by retroeight

I played both on emulators... The 5200 version was harder because you couldn't fully see the vines in front of you which made it hard to judge where it'll be when you jump. No such problems with the CV, 2600 or even the arcade.

And of course the 8-bit version is exactly the same as the 5200

Of the three that you mention here, only the 2600 version fully shows the vines at all times. The 5200, CV, and arcade all have the vines going completely off screen

when they're swinging away from you.

I grew up with Jungle King in the arcades & Jungle Hunt on the Commodore 64. I believe I have seen a Jungle Hunt arcade cab and even a Pirate Pete cab once (No idea why Taito did that one...I guess to get a little more mileage out of the Jungle Hunt 'engine')

I'm curious where you saw a Pirate Pete at? I still consider it a prototype at this point.

• 2 weeks later...