Presenting for the new year: 2600 Combat, ported to the 800.
- Joysticks in port 1 and 2.
- Start/Select as on the VCS, Option switches B&W/Color, 1 and 2 change difficulty switches.
- Based on existing, well-commented disassembly.
- Players and missiles mapped from TIA to GTIA. Combat doesn't use the ball or more than four total replicated sprites, so it fit within GTIA limitations. Collisions were the main problem as it's expensive to map from GTIA collisions to TIA collisions when replication is involved. Horizontal flip was just implemented lazily with a bit reverse table.
- Playfield mapped to mode 7 for the score and mode 8 for the map. Kernel is ripped out entirely and replaced with plain frame loop.
- Sound is just using a slightly revised version of the TIA->POKEY emulator I've been using in past 2600 ports (there was one mode that needed fixing).
Happy holidays, everyone.