IGNORED

PS2 turns 20 next year, isn't that crazy?

I still remember getting mine on Launch Day! Standing in line overnight at WalMart (who had 12 I think it was), They sold out so we ran to Target (who, I believe got in 18), and who were smart and handed out Vouchers at 6AM or something...My friend ran up excited before 7AM, saying they've got one left at Circuit City!! Would I like to "split it'? Hell yeah, we got a voucher for one at Circuit City (who only got 6) and we ebayed that one splitting the profit...Much later we'd ebay one we bought at K-Mart as they allowed "Lay Away"...Sent that one to Hawaii, where shipments were still just barely trickling in, and most people there were getting theirs on ebay (sold for $380, in case you wondered)...

I also remember KayBee Toys messed up the launch so bad, I was quite mad at them, ...They did "Pre-Orders". They claimed that you put $10 down and they'd call you when they came in and you'd pay the difference. They got in 10 or 12 and they forced those at the front of their Pre-Order list (which was Not me) to buy a bundle...I can't remember specifics but they made you buy a game, a memory card and either a DVD remote or an extra controller...I told them there was no way I'd buy all of that when I signed up just to buy a console. Unfortunately, they were the only store in town to get memory cards so I had to buy one there. Afterwards I didn't shop there for a very long time ( couple of years I think), but went in 6 months later to get my $10 back from my "pre-order". This was at least 9 months after I'd put money down, and even after getting in multiple shipments, they never had bothered to call me. They told me I really screwed up their accounting...And I told them they really screwed up the pre-order by changing the deal and trying to get more money out of their "valued" customers haha...

That launch day at Target, they were offering a discount (It was either 10% or 20%...I'm really thinking it was 20%!!) if you signed up for a Target Card, or I believe they turned your Target Card from a reward points type card into a full fledged credit card (a Visa)...So I did that, (Now having my first ever credit card) and spent well over $800 that day! I think my grand total with all the games I bought plus extra controller etc., was $882+!! I'd also been saving for that day for a while and had extra days off from work and everything. I really treated it like a holiday. Good Times!!!

For the record, I have 4 PS2s (One is slim) and all still function just fine :)

• Like 6

Don't make me feel any older.

I can still remember coming home late one evening to find a massive parcel literally dumped on my doorstep, i had won a launch day PS2 from Special Reserve.

I was a Dreamcast owner at the time and didn't find the inital PS2 games i bought all that great..Extermination, Ring Of Red, Red Faction etc.

It took the wondrous Silent Hill II, GTA III and Vice City to really convince me of the Playstation II's merits.

I went onto buy a Game Cube and Xbox having sold the PS2, came back to it years later and bloody hell, God Of War II, just blew me away visually.

Gave my PS2 away to friends but thought of it soon being 20 is frightening.

Where has the time gone?.

Ring Of Red is actually totally awesome, though surely a rather niche game. Probably not the most flashy "launch" title to have, but as an innovative strategy it was excellent. I remember it got something like 8/10 in Edge and in those days it was a superb accolade.

PS2 JRPGS and horror games, plus some other obscure titles is the only thing I ever tried collecting. Gave up fast, but still have 20-30 odd quality titles such as Project Zero or Metropolismania. Now I think about it I want to play all of them so much... the awesome .hack series... Digital Devil Saga - one of the best battle systems/soundtracks ever, BoF: Dragon Quarter - a study in melancholy, the all conquering DQ VIII, and zillion others.

I'm moving too often atm to have anything other than a Pi, but one day it will be my number one purchase. I read somewhere it's actually possible to load games from USB stick now? If true it would be amazing, that HDD setup always looked a bit tricky/cumbersome to me.

• Like 2

Ring Of Red is actually totally awesome, though surely a rather niche game. Probably not the most flashy "launch" title to have, but as an innovative strategy it was excellent. I remember it got something like 8/10 in Edge and in those days it was a superb accolade.

PS2 JRPGS and horror games, plus some other obscure titles is the only thing I ever tried collecting. Gave up fast, but still have 20-30 odd quality titles such as Project Zero or Metropolismania. Now I think about it I want to play all of them so much... the awesome .hack series... Digital Devil Saga - one of the best battle systems/soundtracks ever, BoF: Dragon Quarter - a study in melancholy, the all conquering DQ VIII, and zillion others.

I'm moving too often atm to have anything other than a Pi, but one day it will be my number one purchase. I read somewhere it's actually possible to load games from USB stick now? If true it would be amazing, that HDD setup always looked a bit tricky/cumbersome to me.

Don't get me wrong,as a game,i loved Ring Of Red.

It was just that all the Sony hype about the PS2 was regarding how it dwarfed the Dreamcast in terms of polygon power etc, it wasn't until.the key games i mentioned i started to see it's potential being used.

Games like MDK 2, Resident Evil:Code Vernonica,Unreal Tournament etc looked weaker if anything of PS2 with jaggies and washed out textures.

PS2 hit it's stride soon enough, but it's complex architecture did see it have an underwhelming start in life.

I was always dissapointing we saw MOH Frontline rather than Allied Assault as i had loved the series on PlayStation 1.

Sony dropped the ball with Wipeout Fusion and Syphon Filter Omega Strain as well,which surprised me.

Also saddened nothing came of plans for new instalments of G-Police and Colony Wars to be part on the online side of PlayStation 2 :'(

• Like 2

I remember a video that was circulating on the web pre-uoutube of anti Sony fanboys throwing the PS2 off a roof. We were still playing the Dreamcast and PS1, and luckily didn't know about fanboys. That would change. While I still have more memories with PS1, PS2 finally brought gaming into the main mainstream. I didn't get one until Guitar Hero released sometime in 2005.

• Like 1

Both the PS1 and PS2 are really affordable for the most part. Both have some zingers when it comes to price, perhaps PS2 a bit less abusive in that way, but they're both easy to dive into for cheap enough fun without seeking handheld games instead since much of those got off unscathed by the price wars. While the PS2 for me is spent as much of anything there I don't care for anymore and those that I do can be had in better shape on PC, the PS1 though, I bother with it still and even if it appears more dated the quality and variety are there.

• Like 1

Also have to mention Burnout...Burnout II in particular on PS2.

For a non Racing game fan like myself, the Burnout series upto Revenge, was heaven sent.

Damned if i didn't have some bloody great times on that machine.

I was really into Burnout as well. Really disappointed that Burnout Paradise had no crash mode. But I played them on Xbox.

• Like 1

I bought my first PS2 about 9 years ago. It was the first console I bought since the Wii a few years earlier (which I didnt play much after the first few months). It was cheap, and I didnt care if I didnt like it. In 2010, games were already inexpensive. Over a hundred games later, I still love the system. Was the first to have the greatest RPG ever IMO, Dragon Quest VIII.

• Like 1

I purchased the PS2 on launch day which was midnight at the local mall. I think the store was Software Etc or EB games but it may have changed names by then I really can't remember. I waited in line outside of the mall which was locked and guarded by police officers. I had preordered the system and the store manager informed me that the store was going to get 80 systems on launch day. He told me that if I didn't show up at midnight that I wouldn't get one on launch day. I was around the 20th person in line that night. The cops would only let a few customers into the mall at a time. When I finally got into the store there was another policeman working as a security guard in the store. I got my PS2 and bought Madden 2001 and Time Splitters. I was working for the local Budweiser distributor and started work in the morning at 5:30. So when I got home I hit the sack and I didn't even hook the system up and play with it until after work. The price for the PS2 seemed like a good deal because you got the DVD also and at that time DVD players were still pretty expensive. To me, the graphics upgrade from the PS to PS2 was better than the PS2 to 3 and the PS3 to 4.

• Like 2

I think it went during my last epic clear out, but i hung onto the original release of The Getaway for some years, because it had the British Telecom (B.T) logos on the vans in the game.

Lol, Getaway. Probably one of the heaviest disappointments of my gaming life. I got super-hyped by that cover story in Th Edge which showed photo-realistc gfx and promised the "living, breathing" city. And it was all pre- GTA 3. The end result was...well, eh, let's just move on haha.

But yeah, I still have it for the reason that they did photo-capture a little local pub I was working in at the time, called The New Inn. You can still see it driving around pre-hipster era Shoreditch :D

About PS2's early start, I don't think it was so bad. After all you did get heavy hitters like Time Splitters, FF 10, MGS 2, Ico, Zone OF Enders, GTA 3 and others. Of course, it was coming after Dreamcast with its innovative fireworks and beloved franchises and was also (slightly) technically inferior to the likes of Xbox and Gamecube. So some multi-plat games did perhaps look a little less flashy (I specifically bought GC to play RE4) but in the end it didn't really matter.

About people saying it's a cheapest system to collect for...seriously? I mean, I guess I don't know what other system's games are going for, and probably don't want to know. When I had a quick look at "PS2 RPG" on ebay yesterday there was plenty of 50$+ ones...

• Like 3

I could appreciate the ambition of The Getaway and it was nice to have a game set here in Blighty for once , but the actual game itself..let's just say it's sequel (somehow) managed to turn out even worse.

The first Timesplitters didn't impress me much, but i feel in love with the later games (which i played on Xbox) and i was a huge fan of the developers much over looked Second Sight (poorly timed release going out alongside PSI Ops).

ZOE was nice enough, though i confess i only bought it for the MGS II Tanker Demo that came with it.

Much prefered MGS III Snake Eater and Peace Walker to II myself.

When they were rare as hen's teeth around launch, I didn't even bother trying to get one. But I had (fairly older) a co-worker I barely knew call me from Florida on vacation. She was in line and they had many, she had heard me talking about it. Did I want one. Good god did I, thank you to this day Marie for thinking of me.

Though it doesn't show up on launch game lists, the earliest game I remember really getting into was Swing Away Golf. OTOH, I have to admit PS2 didn't really "gain steam" with me until later games. But eventually? I have to say it's one of my most played, most loved, systems. The time I spent on GTAs, Tekkens, Crashes, Final Fantasies....obscene.

• Like 3