IGNORED

The good old Pitfall II.. only a little different !

TIX

Hello again, and a happy new year to everyone !

Another all time favorite of mine: Pitfall II sprite hack coming up :-D

I have worked on this on and off for the past month,

every single sprite has been tweaked (some more than others)

The hardest part was to stay inside the fixed color strips, and keeping with the sprite sizes to the point as to not alter the game play..

I have played and completed the first mission (the second was always impossible for me), so I think its perfectly playable !

Check some screenshots:

post-65-0-10970100-1546520453.jpg

post-65-0-60579200-1546520470.jpg

post-65-0-33441700-1546520570.jpg

post-65-0-47225600-1546520680.jpg

post-65-0-79842500-1546521784.jpg

• Like 15

Harry is dead theory :skull: :skull: :skull:

I believe that he was bitten by a vampire bat or poisonous scorpion, and the happy ending (including from all things mc hammer and a snake charmer at the bottom of the earth !?!?!) was a hallucination caused by the poison as he slowly falls to sleep... Have you seen the movie "The Descent" ?

:dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

. .only joking :P

No I have got Rhonda covered !

I'm asking about the mc hammer looking character :P

I was just about to post it's not Vanilla Ice, but MC Hammer, but saw this posting :)

By the way, it also looks a lot like Volendam (NL) traditional clothing (regional costume?).

While googling for a good image, I found this:

post-20947-0-33057900-1546801879_thumb.png

source: https://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/nl/geheugen/view?coll=ngvn&identifier=NOMA01%3AN6629

It's from 1984. The description say: Black man in Volendam-pants wearing wooden shoes.

So, MC Hammer was the 2nd black man to wear this pants :D ;)

• Like 1

Damn you beat me too it....but as Dutchmen we probably had the same association.... Volendammer Klederdracht !

SO the mystery is solved it is this guy (they couldn't make the trousers black because of the black background....so that explains that :D )

a48423928021d539c950f59170937520e869ea19

• Like 2

I was just about to post it's not Vanilla Ice, but MC Hammer, but saw this posting :)

By the way, it also looks a lot like Volendam (NL) traditional clothing (regional costume?).

While googling for a good image, I found this:

attachicon.gifvolendampants.png

source: https://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/nl/geheugen/view?coll=ngvn&identifier=NOMA01%3AN6629

It's from 1984. The description say: Black man in Volendam-pants wearing wooden shoes.

So, MC Hammer was the 2nd black man to wear this pants :D ;)

I suggested Vanilla Ice instead of MC hammer because the character has a WHITE face. Well, pink, definitely not a brown face though. Otherwise I woulda said MC.

Edited by Gunstar

I kind of agree with Pixelmischief... the changes dont have a large impact on the game. Certainly not in the same degree as the Moon Patrol or Pole Position work.

Having said that, its good work and they look nice! I think compared to the original they are better implemented. The only issue I have is that Pitfall Harrys head bobs too and fro so much its a little distracting to me.

Edited by sargie

Nice artwork. I haven't downloaded and tried it yet because I usually browse via my tablet, which has no emulators on it. Not sure how many item images were changed.

One graphical change which would change the gameplay is to make those Condor wings a pixel smaller. Those things a quite tricky to run under.

sorry, not too active at this time, holidays zonked me and have terrible colds/flu going around... all testing and such have been placed on hold, only making what I hope are helpful comments and link referrals. I am sure myself and others will be more active soon..

Hey thanks for the feedback !

Actually I was going for a little different, that's the title of the topic anyway ;-)

The critter sprites are too small and too monochrome (ish) to make a big redesign.. I tried to give them a little more character.

The change I am most proud of, is the full run animation of Harry in so little pixels, very happy with him :-D

Also I have redrawn all the static characters Harry has to rescue (Rhonda, the lion, the other lost explorer and the charmer)

All the changes have to do with sprite editing, they don't have any impact to the game play.

Cafeman I hear you, the condors and especially the bats are brutal, maybe another easier version is in order ?

Apart from the hallucination (mc hammer) theory,

I believe originally Harry rescue a random Indian snake charmer who was lost in the caves and later the same guy (same sprite) rescue him back..

I have changed this guy's sprites with an explorer type (pith helmet and all), how this explorer came to know the magic rope trick.. is a mystery.. :lolblue: :lol:

..also since I managed after 30 years to work my way into the second level, I observed the new piranha fish in motion and I didn't liked them..

so I reedit them, final version coming soon !

Edited by TIX
  • Like 2