IGNORED

What is the best console emulator that will play NES, SNES, SEGA, etc.?

jakeandcupcakes

Hi everyone,

I am new here, and this is my first post, but I was wondering what you guys would consider the best console emulator for playing NES, SNES, Sega, and maybe PlayStation?

I got an atGames Legends Flashback console from a friend for Christmas and have been enjoying NES and Sega Genesis games, but it doesn't have SNES support which is what I want mostly. I was thinking of upgrading to an all around retro game console emulator if such a thin exists.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thank you,

-J&C

There's a whole forum dedicated to emulation right here: http://atariage.com/forums/forum/5-emulation/

If you have a PC and just want to emulate on that, I would suggest RetroArch. If you want a dedicated console and want to go cheap, start with a Raspberry Pi 3, a case, and an SD card and download RetroPie or Lakka.

• Like 2

Other options are modded Wii/Xbox or SNES/Playstation Classic (both can be hacked). All have some pluses and minuses. If you want Playstation-gen, it depends what your tolerance for glitching is since the only near-perfect solution is emulating on a PC.

I hear it's possible now to sideload Retroarch on Xbox One, it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

There's a whole forum dedicated to emulation right here: http://atariage.com/forums/forum/5-emulation/

If you have a PC and just want to emulate on that, I would suggest RetroArch. If you want a dedicated console and want to go cheap, start with a Raspberry Pi 3, a case, and an SD card and download RetroPie or Lakka.

Ah, didn't know there was a dedicated forum! Thank you! Also, I was thinking of doing RPi3 for a dedicated console and this just strengthens my idea.

Other options are modded Wii/Xbox or SNES/Playstation Classic (both can be hacked). All have some pluses and minuses. If you want Playstation-gen, it depends what your tolerance for glitching is since the only near-perfect solution is emulating on a PC.

I hear it's possible now to sideload Retroarch on Xbox One, it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

Thanks for the info!

Well I know it's a bit on the extreme side of things, if you were willing to drop nearly $400 you could get the SuperNT HDMI console, and then the SD2SNES which basically runs once they patch in the SDD1 every single NTSC and PAL game on the market minus 2-3 Japanese obscure titles that'll never get added due to the size of them beyond the scope of the FPGA itself.

If you had those you could enjoy the entire SNES library using just the one kit cart with no worries at all and no emulation either. But if you're going budget, I'd get something like the Nvidia Shield console and load a SNES emulator to it, then get a USB SNES wired controller for the experience and be done with it that way just side loading all the ROMS you care about.

Cheapest logical choice, SNES CE + Hakchi mod hack so you can throw virtually any SNES game at it and they more or less all work since the emulator in the SNES CE covers the DSP, C4 (Megamanx2/3), SA1 (Mario RPG, Kirbys), and the FX games (Starfox, Yoshi, Doom, etc.) I'd guess like 98-99% compatibility going that route.

• Like 1

Anyone have a link for adding roms to the mini SNES game console?

I literally just googled part of your question - adding roms to the mini SNES - and got all kinds of links, come on now, it's the age of information anyone can find with minor effort......

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...