IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2019)

carlsson

It was back to our usual gaming routine around here this past week, with a little over 16 hours of gaming time logged. :)

K9Zdixj.jpg

Ineligible
Jurassic Park (Sega Genesis) - 81 minutes
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy) - 97 minutes
Spider Fighter (Atari 2600) - 56 minutes
Splatterhouse 2 (Sega Genesis, Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 158 minutes
Super Street Fighter II (Sega Genesis) - 104 minutes
Thunder Force III (Sega Genesis) - 43 minutes
Tomb Raider II (PlayStation) - 326 minutes

Nintendo 3DS
3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 126 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
991 minutes (16 hours 31 minutes) [126 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Sega Genesis: 386 minutes
PlayStation: 326 minutes
Nintendo 3DS: 126 minutes
Game Boy: 97 minutes
Atari 2600: 56 minutes

This week the misses got back to her game of Tomb Raider II in earnest, and I spent most of the week just durdling around playing a handful of different Sega games and trying to decide on what to play next. First I started playing 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on the 3DS whenever I had a few minutes of spare time, but for some reason in spite of my love for the classic Sonic games I just wasn't having very much fun playing it this time around so I took a few days off from gaming.

Midweek the misses got a copy of Super Street Fighter II for the Genesis in the mail, so we played that together for a while, then the next day I got a copy of Jurassic Park in the mail so I spent some time with that game as well until I eventually got stuck on the third level; which I'm pretty sure is the level I always got stuck on and could never beat when I had this game as a kid. I wasn't feeling much up to banging my head against a proverbial brick wall this week, so Jurassic Park went back in the game drawer and I decided to play through Thunder Force III on hard difficulty. I don't think I had ever beaten it on hard before, but I managed to pull it off this time and only used one continue to boot.

Looking for something to play next I settled in on my old favorite Game Boy game, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. I guess I just wasn't feeling terribly enthused about gaming this week though, because I only played it for an hour and a half before saying, "Meh, that's enough," and putting it back in the drawer. I did end the week on a good note though, revisiting Splatterhouse 2 via emulation (which really kicked my butt when I played it last October) and actually managing to beat it this time! It's a super tough game and I feel no shame in admitting that I had to use a guide to figure out how to beat every boss from about the third level onward, because even once I knew how to beat them it still took me a couple dozen tries to actually pull it off. It was still a lot of fun though and I think I'd like to track down a physical copy of Splatterhouse 2 at some point.

Well, I think that about covers everything for this week! Until next time, and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours. :)

• Like 3

I got sidetracked this morning, but here's my Modern Gaming for the past week. It's all Switch, all the time right now. :)

Switch:

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild -- 1284 minutes

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate -- 472 minutes

My son and I have had a friendly competition going for our copies of BotW just to see who does what and how quickly- it's been fun to compare notes with him on the different things we've done and how we tackled the puzzles.

• Like 3

Finished up Wind Waker this week!

GameCube

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 504min (Finished up the game earlier this week. Did not 100% it. Didn't get all the different treasure chests (but got a vast majority of them) and don't think I had the full complement of hearts but not sure how many is max. I think I ended the game with 14? There's kind of a little boss rush area before the end where you have to go back and re-defeat four of the bosses. The sand pit one gave me fits this time around. I had no trouble the first time, and I don't know if they're supposed to be harder the second time around, but it was rough. I could not get it to target the main boss... it kept targeting those little worms that swim around. Ended up using up three of my bottled fairies on him before I finally got him. The closest I have come to rage quitting this entire playthrough. Luckily, you have a few chances to go out and resupply before the end. Gannon, by comparison, was pretty easy. And the whole stabbing him in the head? Awesome. Great game. Now.. what to finish next...)

post-21069-0-08783900-1548118174_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Week 03

Top games
1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 1284 min.
2. Spider-Man (PS4) - 1075 min.
3. COD Black Ops 4 (Xbox One) - 736 min.
4. Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker (Gamecube) - 504 min.
5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) - 472 min.
6. Pitfall the Lost Expedition (Gamecube) - 360 min.
7. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (3DS) - 126 min.
8. Peggle 2 (Xbox One) - 89 min.

Top systems
1. Switch - 1756 min.
2. PS4 - 1075 min.
3. Gamecube - 864 min.
4. Xbox One - 825 min.
5. 3DS - 126 min.

Total 4646 minutes and 8 different games on 5 different systems.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild goes from 67 to 1284 minutes in a week and takes the title, despite that Super-Man also increases its numbers. In the all-time stats, we finally got a second game above 10K minutes in form of COD Black Ops 4.

• Like 4

I have times to report!

Browser Based:
Animals Connect 3 - 20 min.
Jungle Connect - 53 min.
Sport Vii/Zone:
Bowling - 30 min.
Falcon Beertender - 4 min.
Find Same Picture (Mah-Jong Pokémon) - 27 min.
Place Virtuoso Kick (Football) - 32 min.
Tennis - 6 min.
It started with finding a Vii style console I bought a couple of years ago. There seems to be 13 per dozen of these Chinese knock-off consoles, and a random mix of which games are included. To be honest I didn't find a single console online that 100% matches the one I've got, but some of them are quite similar. This one has 8 sports games built in (supposedly 32-bit) using wireless controllers, plus a cartridge that contains another 15 crappy games of 8 or 16-bit quality. Since it all was manufactured well after Y2K, I decided it goes into the modern tracker.
Perhaps what I found most interesting is the Falcon Beertender, a promotion game from the Swedish (!) brewery Falcon made for the PC. Somehow these Chinese have managed to port it to the SoC in question, unless of course the game from the beginning is something of an integrated Java applet or similar, as I doubt the onboard hardware (supposedly something like a 6 MHz 6502) really has the capacity to emulate a Pentium II/III.
While I could not determine if the "Mah-Jong Pokémon" game origins from another source, I went online to find the world of Mah-Jong Connect, Pokémon Connect and other games in the same style of which I played a few browser based ones on http://www.mahjong.com.
  • Like 2

All time is on the Switch this week.

SSMBU has been my 'bedtime' game, so I spend a few brainless hours trying to work through the Adventure Mode and unlocking the characters. I finished the Bird Divine Beast in Zelda but got kind of burned out playing this week; I think I'm likely going to set this one down until later on.

The newest acqusition was a copy of Octopath Traveller- I posted in the Switch forums that I felt like this was a love letter to RPGs in gameplay, graphics, and sound. This game has the most lush soundtrack I have heard so far in a Switch game (and the other games I've played have some pretty darned good soundtracks).

Nintendo Switch:

Octopath Traveller -- 1036 minutes

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate -- 450 minutes

Zelda: Breath of the Wild -- 1002 minutes

• Like 3

Xbox One

COD Black Ops 4: 994 minutes

Peggle 2: 387 minutes

Not much new here. I really want to get back into The Witcher 3. Still grinding with my mates on BO4, but we all seem to be pretty close to reaching our breaking point with the game. I'd love to jump back into PUBG, but I don't think the rest of the guys are down with that. I fear it will be Battlefield V.

However, there is some significant gaming news on my front. I bought a Switch! The NES was integral in reviving my love for gaming (which started with the 2600) but I was very disappointed with the Wii. Other than Wii Sports & Mario Kart, I can't think of another game I enjoyed. I refused to get the Wii U, even though I loved the idea of NES Remix (thankfully I grabbed it for the 3DS).

The Switch seems different. I have some small road trips upcoming for work, so the idea of a portable console appealed to me. I'm looking forward to BoTW, Super Smash Bros & Mario Kart, but for now, it's another Switch exclusive that will be eating into my gaming time. I'm looking forward to learning enough to be successful at the game. :)

Switch

Civilization 6: 577 minutes

• Like 3

Week 04

Top games

1. Octopath Traveller (Switch) - 1036 min.

2. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 1002 min.

3. COD Black Ops 4 (Xbox One) - 994 min.

4. Spider-Man (PS4) - 812 min.

5. Civilization 6 (Switch) - 577 min.

6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) - 450 min.

7. Peggle 2 (Xbox One) - 387 min.

8. Halo: Master Chief Collection (Xbox One) - 137 min.

9. Retro Game Challenge (DS) - 67 min.

10. Jungle Connect (Browser based) - 53 min.

Top systems

1. Switch - 3065

2. Xbox One - 1518

3. PS4 - 812

4. Sport Vii/Zone - 99

5. Browser based - 73

6. DS - 67

Total 5634 minutes and 16 different games on 6 different systems.

Another week, another game in top. Octopath Traveller comes from "nowhere" and straight into first place. Systems wise, the Switch makes up for 54% of the total play time, and the Chintendo type of knock-off systems also debut.

In case of any latecomers who didn't post yet, I will add your minutes to next week's stats.

• Like 3

Sorry for late update, travelling for work this week.

Octopath continues to suck up all my free gaming time, dang it, lol. Working my way through all the Chapter 2 stuff on the characters. I also got all the single-player Smash characters unlocked, too.

Nintendo Switch:

Octopath Traveller -- 1447 minutes

Super Smash Bros Ultimate -- 376 minutes

• Like 1

PC (Win10)

Stellaris (323 min)

Man, this game keeps evolving, you wouldn't even recognize version 2.2 from 1.0. Unfortunately, that means relearning it every time I get the itch...which always seems to coincides with an upcoming Civ 6 expansion launch...

XB1

Halo: Master Chief Collection (122 min)

Still pecking away at Halo CE co-op, 3 missions to go.

PS4

Spider-Man (288 min)

Guarantee I'll have this completed this week (as I've already done that today, lol).

• Like 2

Ugh, for the second week in a row I am too sick to do a proper picture and writeup this week. I kept waiting all day to see if I would feel better and could get out of bed and get something done, but no dice. Maybe next week I suppose. For now, here's my household's times for the week.

Ineligible
The Activision Decathlon (Atari 2600) - 6 minutes
Barnstorming (Atari 2600) - 5 minutes
Boxing (Atari 2600) - 5 minutes
Eternal Champions (Sega Genesis) - 58 minutes
Freeway (Atari 2600) - 3 minutes
Grand Prix (Atari 2600) - 4 minutes
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Game Boy) - 70 minutes
Mortal Kombat (Sega Genesis) - 43 minutes
Splatterhouse 2 (Sega Genesis) - 147 minutes
Tomb Raider II (PlayStation) - 163 minutes

Nintendo Wii
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - 573 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,077 minutes (17 hours 57 minutes) [573 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo Wii: 573 minutes
Sega Genesis: 248 minutes
PlayStation: 163 minutes
Game Boy: 70 minutes
Atari 2600: 23 minutes

• Like 2

Week 05

Top games
1. Octopath Traveller (Switch) - 1447 min.
2. Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Wii) - 573 min.
3. COD Black Ops 4 (Xbox One) - 475 min.
4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) - 376 min.
5. Stellaris (PC) - 323 min.
6. Spider-Man (PS4) - 288 min.
7. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 233 min.
8. Civilization 6 (Switch) - 189 min.
9. Halo: Master Chief Collection (Xbox One) - 122 min.
10. Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Tides of War (Xbox) - 80 min.

Top systems

1. Switch - 2012
2. Xbox One - 830
3. Wii - 573
4. PC - 393
5. PS4 - 288
6. Xbox - 80

Total 4176 minutes and 11 different games on 6 different systems.

Octopath Traveller grows even stronger from last week, while most of the others are falling behind. PUBG is back on the tracker again, and so are the Wii, original Xbox and PC gaming in general.

• Like 4

Xbox One

PUBG: 977 minutes

Apex Legends: 160 minutes

COD Black Ops 4: 96 minutes

Switch

Civilization 6: 25 minutes

I think we're finally done with Black Ops 4. I gave Apex Legends a try, a new free Battle Royale game that is the current cat's meow, but I didn't care for it at all. It had some interesting twists to the format which I enjoy but overall, it didn't do much for me.

As you can see, my buddies & I jumped back on the PUBG train. We had A LOT of fun, including taking home a chicken dinner last night. We'll see how long this lasts. :)

• Like 2

PS4

Spider-Man (165 min)

Finally finished the game. Man, the Screwball challenges in the DLC were like mini rogue-likes. I think it took 40 tries for the final chase, which is fine in an instant-reload tough platformer, but not a AAA with a loading screen.... But I loved this game over all. Not only looking forward to the inevitable sequal, but I hope they branch out into a Marvel Gaming Universe. The setting is great.

Heavy Rain (1305 min)

I've got the three latest Quantic Dreams games, and haven't played any, so I decided to start with oldest one. I liked it, nice and relaxing compared to Spidey. Decent story, adequate voice acting. Apareantly there's like 18 different endings, so I may pick this up again in the future.

XB1

Halo: Master Chief Collection (185 min)

Almost done Halo CE in my co-op campaign. The final mission was giving us some trouble.

The Witness (848 min)

Forgot that I got this on XBL last year, fun open world puzzle game. Finally got to the point where the Town puzzles make sense, but man, are they tough...

• Like 4