IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2019)

carlsson

Here are my times for this past week (February 25th through March 3rd) on modern systems...

Browser based:

Drawception - 5 min.

Surviv.io - 21 min. in 2 sessions

The Uber game - 14 min.

I played some Drawception again, or, rather, looked at how my games turned out. Then I played Surviv.io which is a war game in overhead view where your goal is to fall last of all players. Then there's The Uber game which is a kind of multiple choice adventure where you play a Uber driver who has to make quite a few decisions during a week of work.

• Like 4

i can't help feel like in a way i'm partly responsible for that- I picked up my Switch 11-27-18. i'm not sure if I'm proud or ashamed, lol.

It looks like I'm going to be helping contribute to the Nintendo Switch time on the tracker in a major way, because this past week was a really big week for the Switch around here! :)

To8F77v.jpg

Ineligible

Kirby's Adventure (NES, played on Nintendo Switch Online) - 5 minutes

Super Mario Bros. (NES, played on Nintendo Switch Online) - 10 minutes

Nintendo Switch

DOOM - 866 minutes

Night in the Woods - 290 minutes

Sonic Mania Plus - 435 minutes

Tetris 99 - 30 minutes

Yoshi's Crafted World Demo - 20 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,656 minutes (27 hours 36 minutes) [1,641 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,641 minutes

NES: 15 minutes

You may notice that most of the times are rounded to 5 minute increments, since starting Tuesday I decided to use the Nintendo Switch parental controls mobile application on my Android tablet to track my gaming time instead of tracking it manually. It's a shame that there isn't a daily gaming time tracker built into the Switch like there was on the 3DS, but the mobile app works well enough even if it isn't perfectly precise. In any case, I really dived into my library of Switch games this week and spent a fair bit of time enjoying most of the Switch games I currently own.

First up was DOOM, which I'm now nearing the end of my second play through of (this time with the difficulty turned up to Ultra Violence). I had such a great time playing through it the first time that I decided to go back and do a second play through to try and find every collectible and earn every weapon and armor suit upgrade. I'm only two levels away from the end at this point and I've already succeeded in finding every collectible and upgrading all my armor and weapons to max, the only exception being the rocket launcher for which I still have one weapon mastery challenge left to complete. It's been a ton of fun all around and I'm sure I'll end up playing through DOOM one more time later in the year before it's sequel DOOM: Eternal comes out.

While I was working on DOOM I also did a full play through of Sonic Mania Plus, and hot darn is this ever a great game! It really feels like the Sega Genesis sequel to Sonic & Knuckles that I've been waiting for since 1995. It's not a perfect game, since most of the levels do feel overly long to me and kinda drag on, the giant ring entrances to the special stages are a little too well hidden compared to the ones in Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, and I find the new special stages that you have to complete to earn chaos emeralds (which are very similar to the special stages in Sonic CD) to be way too difficult. So I've definitely got some complaints about Sonic Mania, but in spite of those gripes I still think it's a phenomenal game that plays just like the Genesis originals and is chalked full of charm and nostalgia. I can definitely see why a lot of fans consider Sonic Mania to be their favorite entry in the series, but for me I still like Sonic 3 & Knuckles a bit better.

Next up was Night in the Woods, which my wife and I actually played together. This is a difficult game to describe but in many ways it's kind of like a cross between a side scrolling platformer and a choose your own adventure book. The basic gist of the game is that you play as a 20 year old anthropomorphic cat who just dropped out of college and is making the shameful return to her small rural home town to move back in with her parents. You control her as she goes about her days walking around town, catching up with old friends (most of whom have moved on to bigger and better things during the 2 years she was away at college), and just generally dealing with post-adolescent angst and depression as she tries to figure out what exactly to do with her days now. There's a lot of light platforming, a few Guitar Hero style rhythm mini games tossed in, and a pixel art rogue-like game you can play on her computer; but the majority of the game is just spent reading dialogue and making decisions about how to respond to it. I don't want to spoil any story details, but suffice it to say the game's story is absolutely hilarious, extremely relatable, and very touching all at the same time. It's a pretty weird game, but if sounds like your cup of tea then I'd highly recommend giving it a try.

Wrapping up the week, I ended up activating a 7 day free trial of Nintendo Switch Online to check out the Switch's NES emulator and Tetris 99; and I definitely think the service is worth 20 bucks a year. The selection of NES titles is pretty nice, Tetris 99 is just insanely cool (especially considering that it's 100% completely free), and the ability to do online multiplayer and backup all your save game data to Nintendo's cloud storage system makes Nintendo Switch Online a pretty worthwhile investment to me. As far as next week goes it'll probably be a lot more of the same around here, though the misses is planning on getting back to Quake II on the PlayStation at some point and she's looking forward to trying out some Switch games as soon as the 8BitDo adapter she ordered off Amazon to let her use her Wii arcade stick with the Switch (along with an original Game Boy styled 8BitDo SN30 Pro controller for me) arrives in the mail next week.

Until next time and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 3

Keeping the Switch train going:

I picked up a few digital games this week because I couldn't resist. Ape Out is an unexpected gem with a pretty cool soundtrack, and OutRun makes me feel like I'm back in the arcade at the machine.

It's a long story on how i actually got the game, but I finally picked up Disgaea 1 complete yesterday- all the memories of hours playing this game on the PS2 came flooding back.

I was sick a couple of days, so that meant extra Zelda time! I've done some pretty crazy stuff in the game, and just lack one Divine Beast and the fight with Ganon himself to finish. :)

Ape Out -- 54 minutes
Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker -- 118 minutes
Disgaea 1 Complete Edition -- 128 minutes
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild -- 1924 minutes
OutRun -- 68 minutes
Tetris 99 -- 208 minutes
  • Like 3

Xbox One

PUBG: 1,276 minutes

Switch

Civilization 6: 22 minutes

Lots of nights on the PUBG train & my buddy and I pulled off my 17th win Saturday night! (All those hours/days playing this game and I've only won 17 times. Ridiculous. It makes each win feel like a true accomplishment!)

post-11342-0-99665600-1551711468_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

X360

Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine 53

Xone

Death Squared 182

Lovers in a Dangerous SpaceTime 330

Overcooked 1116

A spasm of co-op games this weekend with the original Overcooked leading the way . . .

Monaco is such a great game. I really enjoyed playing it!

Monaco is such a great game. I really enjoyed playing it!

Thanks for the comment. I had heard great things, but never played it before. My wife and I tried it out as a 2 player co-op, and I'm not sure we really experienced the game's potential. She had a lot of trouble just reading the map and understanding what the graphics were trying to depict. "Which way is that guy supposed to be facing?" "Is there a door for this room on this wall?" Stuff like that. We also struggled with what to do when guards started chasing us and really didn't have much fun with it at all. Are we doing it wrong? Do you have a recommendation about which characters to use when only playing with 2 players? Any general advice?

• Like 1

When I was playing, it seemed like it was largely situational- the best overall roles i thought were Mole, Locksmith, and Hacker.

The Cleaner comes into his own because he can greatly simplify the game on the crowded later levels. The noise is not an issue unless you need to clean 4-5 people in a row. Lookout helps you see coin placement and lets you know when you can ignore security measures/run around because there aren't any shooting guards nearby.

Locksmith is useful in reducing safe cracking time but most of the later levels have C4, wrenches, and rocket launchers. Redhead can be faster getting through locked doors.

I felt the game was kind of fiddly to learn and there was a learning curve- mostly I think it just comes through playing it a bunch. I thought this looked like a pretty good guide, too, when it comes to tips on the specific classes:

https://www.destructoid.com/monaco-tips-and-tricks-252472.phtml

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

I didn't time this one, thinking that it was tracking the time in the save file, but it doesn't appear that it was...

Xbox One

Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 - 600 minutes (Guessing on this one... I know I played it most of the day on Saturday and a bit more on Sunday. I know they're made for kids, but I enjoy these games. Just lots of stuff to do. Some of the puzzles are mildly difficult and I got a little lost on what to do on a couple of the stages. The game looks great. There's tons of characters to unlock, but the game seems to focus on some far more than others. There are certain obstacles or elements in the game that only characters with certain skills can interact with. For example, something that looks like gold metal can only be destroyed by someone with a heat-based beam attack. There are several characters that have this kind of ability, but it always defaults to Iron Man. I mean, you come upon one and stand close to it and it shows a pic of Iron Man, go to the character select screen and it already has Iron Man highlighted. I got to where I would specifically try to find someone else with the same ability, or even create my own Lego superhero with the ability I wanted to avoid using the same ones all the time. I feel the game gets boring if all you do is use Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Groot, Ms Marvel, Thor, Black Panther and Black Bolt all the time, but it seems 90% of the puzzles can be solved with these characters, even though there are probably 200 characters in the game. Another complaint is the controls. Especially the flying controls. Say you’re playing Iron Man and you’re hovering in mid air and you want to just look around. Too bad. Looking up makes you fly up and looking down makes you fly down. What’s worse is the camera doesn’t necessarily move so that you can see what it is you’re wanting to look at. Fly up to the top of a building and start to descend… find out you weren’t over the top of the building because the camera sucks so you have to fly back up and try again. Or, there’s a collectable hidden somewhere nearby and you couldn’t see it from the ground, so you try flying up to check somewhere else, but you can’t because just looking around makes you move. I don’t remember this being a problem in the first Lego Marvel Superheroes. And maybe there’s something I’m missing, who knows.)

• Like 4

I didn't time this one, thinking that it was tracking the time in the save file, but it doesn't appear that it was...

Xbox One

Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 - 600 minutes (Guessing on this one... I know I played it most of the day on Saturday and a bit more on Sunday. I know they're made for kids, but I enjoy these games. Just lots of stuff to do. Some of the puzzles are mildly difficult and I got a little lost on what to do on a couple of the stages. The game looks great. There's tons of characters to unlock, but the game seems to focus on some far more than others. There are certain obstacles or elements in the game that only characters with certain skills can interact with. For example, something that looks like gold metal can only be destroyed by someone with a heat-based beam attack. There are several characters that have this kind of ability, but it always defaults to Iron Man. I mean, you come upon one and stand close to it and it shows a pic of Iron Man, go to the character select screen and it already has Iron Man highlighted. I got to where I would specifically try to find someone else with the same ability, or even create my own Lego superhero with the ability I wanted to avoid using the same ones all the time. I feel the game gets boring if all you do is use Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Groot, Ms Marvel, Thor, Black Panther and Black Bolt all the time, but it seems 90% of the puzzles can be solved with these characters, even though there are probably 200 characters in the game. Another complaint is the controls. Especially the flying controls. Say you’re playing Iron Man and you’re hovering in mid air and you want to just look around. Too bad. Looking up makes you fly up and looking down makes you fly down. What’s worse is the camera doesn’t necessarily move so that you can see what it is you’re wanting to look at. Fly up to the top of a building and start to descend… find out you weren’t over the top of the building because the camera sucks so you have to fly back up and try again. Or, there’s a collectable hidden somewhere nearby and you couldn’t see it from the ground, so you try flying up to check somewhere else, but you can’t because just looking around makes you move. I don’t remember this being a problem in the first Lego Marvel Superheroes. And maybe there’s something I’m missing, who knows.)

You can see the exact total minutes played of an XOne game if you go to your profile on XBox.com > choose My Games and then click on the game > Achievements. Along with the achievements, it displays the minutes played and other stats.

I don't know if this example will work, but here is a link to a game on my profile: https://account.xbox.com/en-us/GameInfoHub?titleid=402672897&storeId=BS32QFXVPWBC&activetab=main:mainTab2

• Like 1

You can see the exact total minutes played of an XOne game if you go to your profile on XBox.com > choose My Games and then click on the game > Achievements. Along with the achievements, it displays the minutes played and other stats.

I don't know if this example will work, but here is a link to a game on my profile: https://account.xbox.com/en-us/GameInfoHub?titleid=402672897&storeId=BS32QFXVPWBC&activetab=main:mainTab2

Trying it, but the website seems borked or something. Won't let me log in or go to "my account". Every time I click on it, it gives me an error. Request took too long. HTTP Error 400.

Edit: Okay, deleted cache and cookies and that fixed it. And I was way off... I guess I was being conservative? Anyway, the XBox site says I played 1519 minutes... Almost twice what I thought. lol

So carlsson, I guess change my time. =)

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 4

PC (Win10)

Civilization VI (811 min)

Just some more Civ this week. Looked like I was going to pull out a science victory in my Maori game, but the Americans won with a culture victory 2 turns before that. D'oh, I don't remember the last time I've lost at endgame (I've lost/given up plenty of times mid-game), so that was interesting. Tried building my culture to hold it off, but it didn't quite work out. Started another game with Aquitaine (France) on a real world Europe map. Currently allied with England and Scotland and not getting along well with Spain.

• Like 4

Week 09

Top games
1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 1924 min.
2. Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 (Xbox One) - 1519 min.
3. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 1276 min.
4. Overcooked (Xbox One) - 1116 min.
5. DOOM (Switch) - 866 min.
6. Civilization VI (PC) - 811 min.
7. Sonic Mania Plus (Switch) - 435 min.
8. Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (Xbox One) - 330 min.
9. Night in the Woods (Switch) - 290 min.
10. Tetris 99 (Switch) - 238 min.

Top systems
1. Xbox One - 4423 min.
2. Switch - 4163 min.
3. PC - 811 min.
4. PS4 - 150 min.
5. Xbox 360 - 53 min.
6. Browser based - 40 min.
7. Gamecube - 30 min.

Total 9670 minutes and 23 different games on 7 different systems.

As promised, this is a record week going by total number of minutes. While the old records of number of games (29) and systems (11) remain untouched, the old play time record of 7837 minutes is ... not sure if "obliterated" is the right word but something similar. Spectacularly the Classic tracker had unusually low figures the same week.

Well, if we concentrate on the actual games this week, Breath of the Wild takes the title, with Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 in second place after a recount. On the systems side, it is a two system battle Microsoft Xbox One vs Nintendo Switch. In a regular week, either of them would have ruled the list but here it is a tight battle with only 260 mins (4 1/3 hours) inbetween.

On the all-time stats, PUBG just exceeded 40K minutes (40344) and the tracker itself just exceeded 250K minutes (250397). A total of 428 games have been tracked so far, some as little as 2 minutes.

• Like 4

XB1

Armello (507 min)

I've had this on my Steam wishlist for a while, but just picked it up for under $5 on XBox. Fun board game style of game with cards and dice, and some replay value with different characters and win conditions.

Injustice 2 (224 min)

Not big into fighting games, but enjoyed the first game's story mode, and this version is fun, too, though I'm not a fan of the lootbox style upgrade system they've incorporated.

• Like 4

Dedicated Handheld by Basic FUN!

Oregon Trail 55

PC

The Pinball Arcade 31

Wii

Disney Guilty Party 45

Rhythm heaven fever 46

X360

Battle block theatre 70

Lara Croft GoL 176

Xone

Death squared 186

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime 261

Overcooked 217

Road Knight 26

My wife and I managed to get full stars on all of the stages in Overcooked and we finished the story mode of 'Lovers.' Road Knight is a bit of an oddity as it is one of the XBox creators or community games or whatever. It was free and looked like Spy Hunter. It is now uninstalled - LOL.

• Like 4

Halo 2 (PC) 65 mins (online via Project Cartographer)
Skyrim SE (PC) 300 mins lol I thought Skyrim was played out for me but I'm back after 2 years and I can play it again. Dragon wings + flying mod is so fun...

Winged Argonians have been mentioned somewhere in lore so to me it doesn't break the lore. A Dragonborn that looks like a dragon...

post-29698-0-13365800-1552284827_thumb.png

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 4

I don't know what I'm doing to myself, but i bought the Zelda DLC this weekend. I've also been messing around Tetris but certainly not enough to win Nintendo's 'competition'.

We bought Lego Harry Potter and Just Dance 2019- my non-gamer daughter absolutely LOVES my Switch, too!

Switch:

Ape Out -- 129 minutes

Just Dance 2019 -- 127 minutes

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild -- 1384 minutes

Lego: Harry Potter Collection (courtesy of my daughter playing <3) -- 367 minutes

Tetris 99 -- 420 minutes

• Like 3