IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2019 (Season 12)

carlsson

Ugh, for the second week in a row I am too sick to do a proper picture and writeup this week. I kept waiting all day to see if I would feel better and could get out of bed and get something done, but no dice. Maybe next week I suppose. For now, here's my household's times for the week.

Ineligible
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - 573 minutes

Atari 2600
The Activision Decathlon - 6 minutes
Barnstorming - 5 minutes
Boxing - 5 minutes
Freeway - 3 minutes
Grand Prix - 4 minutes

Game Boy
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - 70 minutes

PlayStation
Tomb Raider II - 163 minutes

Sega Genesis
Eternal Champions - 58 minutes
Mortal Kombat - 43 minutes
Splatterhouse 2 - 147 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,077 minutes (17 hours 57 minutes) [504 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo Wii: 573 minutes
Sega Genesis: 248 minutes
PlayStation: 163 minutes
Game Boy: 70 minutes
Atari 2600: 23 minutes

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 05, running from January 28 - Feb 3. We logged 3153 minutes of eligible play, playing 58 games on a total of 13 systems.

Top 10:

1. Barnstorming (Atari 2600) - 315 min.
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 226 min.
3. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 7800) - 195 min.
4. Ultima IV: Quest for the Avatar (Apple II) - 180 min.
5. Corridor 7 (PC (DOS)) - 170 min.
6. Tail Gator (Game Boy) - 167 min.
7. Tomb Raider II (PlayStation) - 163 min.
8. Splatterhouse 2 (Genesis) - 147 min.
9. Borzork (TI-99/4A) - 120 min.
10. Rampart (Game Boy) - 92 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1, Barnstorming (Atari 2600) - 315 min.
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 226 min.
3. Jr. Pac-Man (Atari 7800) - 195 min.
4. Ultima IV: Quest for the Avatar (Apple II) - 180 min.
5. Borzork (TI-99/4A) - 120 min.
6. Megamania (Atari 2600) - 85 min.
7. Baby Pac-Man [homebrew] (Atari 7800) - 81 min.
7. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 81 min.
9. Alien (Atari 2600) - 50 min.
9. Asteroids (Atari 2600) - 50 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1031)
2. Genesis (348)
3. Game Boy (329)
4. TI-99/4A (279)
5. Atari 7800 (276)
6. PC (DOS) (190)
7. Apple II (180)
8. NES/Famicom (175)
9. PlayStation (163)
10. TG-16/PC Engine (75)

As so many times before, this week is dominated by an Activision game but instead of Kaboom! we have Barnstorming in the top on the two individual lists. Together with Solar Fox and others, the 2600 remains the most played system, eerily with the exact amount of minutes as last week!

However one difference compared to last week is that we have no new entries to the 1000 Minute Club. There are a few knocking on the door, but who didn't make it all the way this week.

• Like 6

Congratz to Barnstorming! One of the games of my youth!

I feel a bit bad about not contributing anything lately. Been having a rough time lately and haven't felt like playing anything. Odd for me... I'll usually play around with SOMETHING. Hopefully things will turn around soon. Gotta get my groove back!

• Like 5

After not gaming last weekend, my brother and son fired up Final Fantasy for our 6th session. If you're following along, we were able to get the rat tail and take it to the proper cave which upgraded all of our characters (i.e. the fighter became a knight, the mages became wizards, etc). We then went back to one of the towns and loaded up on heal and other potions (you can carry up to 99 of each type). Some of the monsters we're facing, like r. goyles, can completely wipe out our party in one fight.

NES:
Final Fantasy 70 minutes

• Like 5

Atari 8-bit:

Lode Runner - 28 min.

PC DOS:

SPCS Schack [Chess] - 4 min.

ZX Spectrum:

Hungry Horace - 5 min.

Another round of the HSC, plus an inventory/testing round at the computer club. Unfortunately one computer let out the white smoke, but rest of them started as expected.

• Like 4

Here are my times for this past week (February 4th through 10th)...

Arcade:

Jr. Pac-Man - 16 min.

Atari 7800:

Baby Pac-Man - 92 min. in 5 sessions

Jr. Pac-Man - 99 min. in 3 sessions

Windows 9x:

Visual PinMAME: Baby Pac-Man - 9 min.

I had some more sessions of Jr. Pac-Man and Baby Pac-Man on the Atari 7800. During the week, Bob posted multiple release candidates of Baby Pac-Man for the Atari 7800, and I also played the original version of Jr. Pac-Man and the Visual PinMAME version of Baby Pac-Man for a comparison. The Atari 7800 version of Jr. Pac-Man is actually harder than the original one because the pellets you eat slow you down more. Also it doesn't feel quite as smooth. I also helped proofreading the manual for Jr. Pac-Man for the Atari 7800.

• Like 4

Twinbee 3 (Famicom) 44 mins
Override (PC-Engine) emulated 20 mins
Golden Axe (Genesis) 30 mins - it took this game to make me realize my non-HD Model 1 sounds like ass sometimes
GunHed (Blazing Lazers) (PC-Engine) 65 mins - nearly beat this game. Will beat it sometime this year I'm sure.
Super Aleste (Space Megaforce) (Super Famicom) 20 mins
Star Soldier (Famicom/NES) 10 mins
Road Fighter (Pal version) (NES) 5 mins - testing to see if removing the pin on the mod chip (on my toaster NES) would work (it did).
Gun-Nac (NES) 55 mins
Balloon Fight (NES) 20 mins
Mario Bros. (NES) 35 mins
Super Mario Bros 3 (Famicom version 1988 not the 1990 NES release, it's different) 35 mins
Abadox (NES) 15 mins
Flipull (Famicom) 15 mins
Zanac (NES) 15 mins
Dragon Spirit: The New Legend (NES) 20 mins
Super Mario Bros 2 (NES) 20 mins
RoadBlasters (NES) 45 mins (I got to Rally 49/50 and got a gameover)
Pooyan (Famicom) 15 mins
Twinbee (Famicom) 15 mins
Fire Dragon (Famicom) 5 mins It's just Snake lol... dunno if it was a rom hack or stolen game (played using a bootleg cart)

• Like 5

Twinbee 3 (Famicom) 44 mins

Override (PC-Engine) emulated 20 mins

Golden Axe (Genesis) 30 mins - it took this game to make me realize my non-HD Model 1 sounds like ass sometimes

GunHed (Blazing Lazers) (PC-Engine) 65 mins - nearly beat this game. Will beat it sometime this year I'm sure.

Super Aleste (Space Megaforce) (Super Famicom) 20 mins

Star Soldier (Famicom/NES) 10 mins

Road Fighter (Pal version) (NES) 5 mins - testing to see if removing the pin on the mod chip (on my toaster NES) would work (it did).

Gun-Nac (NES) 55 mins

Balloon Fight (NES) 20 mins

Mario Bros. (NES) 35 mins

Super Mario Bros 3 (Famicom version 1988 not the 1990 NES release, it's different) 35 mins

Abadox (NES) 15 mins

Flipull (Famicom) 15 mins

Zanac (NES) 15 mins

Dragon Spirit: The New Legend (NES) 20 mins

Super Mario Bros 2 (NES) 20 mins

RoadBlasters (NES) 45 mins (I got to Rally 49/50 and got a gameover)

Pooyan (Famicom) 15 mins

Twinbee (Famicom) 15 mins

Fire Dragon (Famicom) 5 mins It's just Snake lol... dunno if it was a rom hack or stolen game (played using a bootleg cart)

Thought it was in the list...

I also played:

Super Mario Bros. (NES) 30 mins

Clu Clu Land (Famicom version) 15 mins

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 4

It's going to be a big post this time around since I have 3 weeks worth of gaming in my household to cover, but I'll try to keep it short and to the point. :)

Two Weeks Ago (01/28)

KB6yGID.jpg

Game Boy
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - 210 minutes

PlayStation
Tomb Raider II - 422 minutes

Sega Genesis
Lethal Enforcers - 29 minutes
Samurai Shodown - 148 minutes

809 minutes (13 hours 29 minutes) [809 minutes eligible]

PlayStation: 422 minutes
Game Boy: 210 minutes
Sega Genesis: 177 minutes

Last Week (02/05)

gMQDQ5Z.jpg

Ineligible
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - 573 minutes

Atari 2600
The Activision Decathlon - 6 minutes
Barnstorming - 5 minutes
Boxing - 5 minutes
Freeway - 3 minutes
Grand Prix - 4 minutes

Game Boy
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - 70 minutes

PlayStation
Tomb Raider II - 163 minutes

Sega Genesis
Eternal Champions - 58 minutes
Mortal Kombat - 43 minutes
Splatterhouse 2 - 147 minutes

1,077 minutes (17 hours 57 minutes) [504 minutes eligible]

Nintendo Wii: 573 minutes
Sega Genesis: 248 minutes
PlayStation: 163 minutes
Game Boy: 70 minutes
Atari 2600: 23 minutes

This Week

nSE8cBg.jpg

Ineligible
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Nintendo Wii) - 215 minutes

PlayStation
Tomb Raider II - 192 minutes

Sega Genesis
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition - 252 minutes
Paperboy (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 54 minutes
Raiden Trad - 145 minutes
RoadBlasters (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 16 minutes
Zoop - 12 minutes

886 minutes (14 hours 46 minutes) [671 minutes eligible]

Sega Genesis: 479 minutes
Nintendo Wii: 215 minutes
PlayStation: 192 minutes

Looking back over the past few weeks around here, they were all actually fairly similar. I've been playing through two longer games in particular over the last 3 weeks, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening on the Game Boy and Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles on the Nintendo Wii. They've both been a lot of fun and I still have a ways to go in Zelda, but I am getting pretty close to the end in Darkside Chronicles. I've beaten both many, many times in the past but this time around I'm playing Darkside Chronicles on Expert difficulty so it's taking me quite a while longer than usual to beat. The bosses get really hard towards the end so I keep having to go back to replay previous levels in order to earn more money to upgrade my weapons enough to take on some of the later bosses.

In addition to those two games I've also been playing a wide variety of Sega Genesis games, mostly new pickups from eBay that arrived in the mail over the last few weeks. The most notable of the bunch was Splatterhouse 2, which I finally got a mint condition authentic cartridge of. The misses and I both spent an afternoon on the couch playing that one together and after a few attempts and learning what to do to defeat all the bosses we each managed to beat the game without too much trouble, and it was an absolute ton of fun. I can't think of any other game that was nearly as gruesome and gory as this in 1992 and I'm honestly surprised that Splatterhouse 2 never came up in the 1993 congressional hearings on violence in video games, because every level in Splatterhouse 2 is way more grotesque than anything in games like Mortal Kombat or Night Trap that the hearings were so fixated on. I love it! :D

I also spent some time with a few Genesis fighting games as of late, including the original Mortal Kombat and Samurai Shodown (which are by far my top 2 favorite fighting games on the system) and one I picked up a few months ago but had never tried before; Eternal Champions. There's a lot of good things that can be said about Eternal Champions, from the pretty awesome graphics and music to the gory finishing moves and... well, that's actually pretty much it. The control feels clunky and the game is absurdly difficult beyond all logic or reason. After an hour of playing the game and memorizing all the special moves for my characters of choice I still couldn't beat the first opponent in the tournament, and there's no way whatsoever to turn down the difficulty. It's utterly ridiculous and infuriating. I can see Eternal Champions being a fairly enjoyable game for two players, but playing against the computer is little more than an exercise in frustration. Speaking of exercises in frustration, I had a lot of "fun" trying to fix the corrupted save system in my newly acquired copy of NBA Jam: Tournament Edition working over the past week; which you can find more info on here. Unfortunately I never managed to get it working.

Lastly in the Genesis department, this week I finally reacquired a copy of what may be my second favorite vertical scrolling shoot 'em up on any system: Raiden Trad! I always regretted selling my old copy in my great collection liquidation of 2016, so it's been high up on my list of games to buy again for a long time. I love the music, graphical styling, challenging gameplay, and just everything about this title. The only complaint I could make isn't so much about the game, but about my most recent experience playing it. I think I'm just getting old and my reflexes are slowing down because I'm nowhere near as good at Raiden Trad as I used to be. I remember being able to clear the game on Easy difficulty on just one or two credits without too much trouble, but when I went back and played it again this week I ended up using all 9 credits then running out of lives and getting a Game Over on the final boss after a couple hours of play. It was pretty disheartening to have the game hand my butt to me so badly, but I'm sure I'll come back to it and play Raiden Trad again before too long.

As far as my wife's gaming times went for the last week, she's been pretty well focused on Tomb Raider II most of the time and I think she's on the second to last level at this point. She did take a few breaks here and there to play Splatterhouse 2 with me when that game arrived in the mail, and we had a little high score competition in Paperboy on the Genesis last Saturday. She got the high scores on Easy St. and Hard Way, but I did manage to take home the gold on Medium Road. Well, I think that about covers everything for this week! Looking ahead to next week I plan on continuing my play throughs of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, and it seems pretty darn likely that the spousal unit will be finishing up Tomb Raider II. It should be a lot of fun, so until then and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4