Pandora mame arcade

5 replies to this topic

#1 crunchyfrog555 OFFLINE  

crunchyfrog555

Combat Commando

• 8 posts

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2019 8:32 AM

Hi there.
New visitor, but old fart here. I'm interested in getting one of those pandora 5s units (the one with the ryu street fighter overlay, 2 player controls), but am after some advice before I take the plunge.

First off, let me be clear here. My reasons for wanting this is because im disabled and mostly bed bound, I need something that serves well for being sat up in bed, but also I can plug in my main telly and sit with my daughters and play. Ive got an nes classic for a lot of emulation of other games, just for ease.
So please DO NOT recommend I try something else as its likely it isnt suitable.

That said, my query is that these units are chinese, trying to find what the hell youre getting is difficult - naturally the number of games included varies with the weather, it seems.

What I want is the ability to ADD games via usb stick, have vga and hdmi output, and be a solid unit with reasonable joysticks and buttons. Obviously due to being able to add games means I dont care what games are included off the bat, nor do I care about what pretty pictures the unit has on its overlay.

Im in the uk, btw, and I intend to use amazon to purchase the unit, which goes around £109-145 depending on the seller.

Is there anything I should beware of? Are the buttons and joysticks up to snuff, or would it be better to upgrade them in time (im ok with doing this)?

Your time and help here is greatly appreciated.

#2 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

You can't handle the truth. No truth-handler, you.

• 16,167 posts
  • I deride your truth-handling abilities.

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2019 10:05 AM

I've seen reviews all over the place for this kind of thing (there's no one single model as far as I can tell), which leads me to think that many of the positive reviews are plants/fakes. It doesn't help that the product name is the same of other items out there, making it difficult to perform research. 

This is a community I trust, but there's nothing there https://boards.dingo...r-game-systems/... same for https://gbatemp.net/forums/other-consoles-oldies.165/

They don't cost a lot, but just enough to be a nuisance if things don't work well. 

I assume you know all about Retropie. I think that along with a nice USB stick, would be just as good a solution, with much more flexibility. The downside, of course is that it would be a lot less plug-n-play. 

What's drawing you to the Pandora stuff? Form factor? Price? Something else? It seems to me that its main draw is being an "arcade in a box" but the same can be said of RetroArch on the NES Classic. 

#3 crunchyfrog555 OFFLINE  

crunchyfrog555

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 8 posts

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2019 11:01 AM

I should explain further then.

My draw - this box over retropie - is one of convenience and ability.

As im disabled and mostly bed bound, I want something thatll sit across my lap, plug in and go right off the bat. I dont have working pc atm either, so retropie would be more bother than I wish (it was bothersome enough to get my nes classic set up, even though it was a simple procedure once I had access to a pc).

Also the retropie kit setups ive seen seem to be small little button and joystick setups that arent much bigger than a joypad.as I pointed out in my op, I want something robust.

I do want that 2 player control setup too, as when its not being used in bed, I intend to have a mock cabinet setup with a spare monitor and the unit sat below it on a stand, if you get what I mean.

So, apart from the setup stuff with retropie, I have not seen anything approaching that level of controller setup, and even if someone did it, I doubt itd be much difference in price to the whole pandora unit in any case.

I hope that gives you the picture more clearly.

I share your concern about the problems finding the right unit, and regarding feedback. So, heres a starting point if you will. I can get this on amazon uk now if I wished.

https://www.amazon.c...ords=Pandora 5s

Edited by crunchyfrog555, Sun Jan 6, 2019 11:02 AM.

#4 enoofu OFFLINE  

enoofu

Stargunner

• 1,107 posts

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:19 AM

Controller isn't real Jamma Arcade Stick or buttons, and Pandora usually run on old versions of Mame, so they will be some more emulation bugs.

Generally speaking it difficult to tell the build quality and other issues since this is a "Pirated Rom device"  that is released by many different suppliers.

#5 enoofu OFFLINE  

enoofu

Stargunner

• 1,107 posts

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:22 AM

You may want to Check out a Jamma Neo Geo Supergun route with a mulitcart

Though it will cost around 2 -4 times as much depending if you want to build some of the parts.

#6 Newsdee OFFLINE  

Newsdee

Stargunner

• 1,363 posts

Posted Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:19 PM

I've seen a few Pandoras Box live in local stores. The one big issue I have with them is the upscaling is forced to be stretched 16:9 and it is a bit blurry.

Games still play well though, and the joystick parts can be swapped for better conponents if you don't like the stock buttons.

Edited by Newsdee, Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:20 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users