Photo

BREAKOUT 2000 for the Atari 2600

Atari 2600 SuperCharger Flashback Portable Retron77 Flashback9 Composite Flashback9 HDMI 8-way scrolling Breakout Breakout party game Demo Game and Demo

9 replies to this topic

#1 Mr SQL OFFLINE  

Mr SQL

River Patroller

• 2,049 posts

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2019 11:38 AM

BREAKOUT2000.jpg

Atari 2600 Game Program:

You play the Ball in this Mario World sized 8-way scrolling BEAKOUT game!

Features:

New features include color mapping the bricks - test group really liked this.

This game also features Motion blur reduction technology for crystal clear high speed animation. A version without MBR was tested and discarded, I would have to slow this down and lose the Pinball feel. Sound has also been improved.

Gameplay:

You are equipped with a laser that is recharged every level you clear.

Multiplayer:

And a second player can join in anytime but they play like Tails, the camera always follows Player 1.

Computer AI and computer assisted gameplay:

The computer will control player two if you do not, and will assist player one anytime you let go of the stick,

Demo party Mode:

You can leave BREAKOUT 2000 unattended and it will run as a colorful interactive party demo where players can join and leave anytime.  

Have fun, have a ball!  :cool:  :lol: ;)

Comments and questions welcome! :)

Attached File  BREAKOUT2000_V2_SuperCharger.bin   8.25KB   85 downloads

Attached File  BREAKOUT2000_v2_AFP.bin   12KB   60 downloads

(Slight difference - the SuperCharger version can reach the top row)

#2 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

***Moon Patrol 5200*** *Moon Master2015* *Blue Max:Class 4*

• 7,674 posts
  • *Star Raiders 2* **Captain -CL 2**

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2019 1:27 PM

Wow, that was misleading but interesting.

#3 keebz OFFLINE  

keebz

Star Raider

• 65 posts
  • Barb's Revenge Hack & OUTATIME Hack

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2019 8:12 PM

I uh...

wat?

#4 ls650 OFFLINE  

ls650

Quadrunner

• 7,318 posts
  • Atari rocks!

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2019 8:23 PM

Um, are you supposed to be able to play this?  Joystick doesn't seem to do anything...

#5 Mr SQL OFFLINE  

Mr SQL

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,049 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2019 12:19 AM

Um, are you supposed to be able to play this?  Joystick doesn't seem to do anything...

Yes, but you are the Ball and not the paddle. You are always bouncing around but you have full control. Player 2 is another story and must fight to stay on camera (Player1, can also shoot Player2 with the Laser). 

You play as the Ball because this is an 8-way scrolling Breakout so regular breakout gameplay won't work at all; I have previously written an 8-way scrolling Breakout where you do play traditionally as the paddle, but it was neary impossible to hit the Ball because you can't see your Paddle to position it quickly enough when it comes into view, the physics didn't work.

I'll see if I can find it and post it here so we can compare and see. Another problem using a paddle was where to place it? It only had one so I put it on the side, that concept might have worked better with 4 much larger paddles but I think I would have to slow it down...

Found it, see what you think:

This has a demo and an unfinished breakout style game; the demo scrolls horizontally and diagonally a few times and then starts breaking out, pressing the fire button will scroll a "Eady Player One!" banner and then start the game; the camera initially follows the paddle but once you launch the ball it follows the ball, making it very difficult to hit the ball with the paddle when it scrolls diagonally/vertically and you have to find it - this game will be changed so that it only scrolls horizontally (no vertical/diagonal scrolling), so that it will be fun icon_smile.gif

That idea worked pretty well btw, the sideways breakout is here and it is fun!

Wow, that was misleading but interesting.

Thanks! I think WallBall is a much closer BREAKOUT2000 port.

#6 MemberAtarian OFFLINE  

MemberAtarian

Moonsweeper

• 252 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2019 3:10 PM

It's like a really weird trip. :D 

#7 Mr SQL OFFLINE  

Mr SQL

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,049 posts

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:11 AM

It's like a really weird trip. :D

Glad you like it, that is exactly the idea! Breakout through the looking glass:P

#8 cimmerian OFFLINE  

cimmerian

Moonsweeper

• 453 posts

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:25 PM

We'll be featuring Breakout 2000 on the ZeroPage Homebrew stream this tomorrow (Friday) on Twitch at 12PM PT/3PM ET! Hope everyone can tune in to watch us play!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games on Friday:
- Ms Galactopus (2018 WIP) by KaeruYojimbo
- Breakout 2000 (2019) by Mr SQL
- Dot (Minigames) (2013 WIP) by seemo

20190111-Let's Play.jpg

#9 Mr SQL OFFLINE  

Mr SQL

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,049 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:16 AM

We'll be featuring Breakout 2000 on the ZeroPage Homebrew stream this tomorrow (Friday) on Twitch at 12PM PT/3PM ET! Hope everyone can tune in to watch us play!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games on Friday:
- Ms Galactopus (2018 WIP) by KaeruYojimbo
- Breakout 2000 (2019) by Mr SQL
- Dot (Minigames) (2013 WIP) by seemo

attachicon.gif20190111-Let's Play.jpg

Awesome show, glad you liked BREAKOUT 2000! :)

Regarding Darcy's observafion it's on a timer - it is not but only 75% of the bricks need to be cleared to advance to the next level. This was done to keep the game interesting because even in regular BREAKOUT getting that last few bricks can be monotonous! Even BREAKANOID which is probably the closest of my breakout ports to the classic has this feature.

Also saw the commentary during the live feed - KC Monster Maze was the game with the binary score!

I liked Galactopus and particularly the last game which had a fantastic soundtrack and incredible gameplay elements taking the Fairchild classic to the next level with a growing monolith that you build.

Where can I download the ROM?

#10 cimmerian OFFLINE  

cimmerian

Moonsweeper

• 453 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 AM

Glad you enjoyed watching the show, thanks! Here's the thread for DOT where you can download the ROM.

- James

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Atari 2600, SuperCharger, Flashback Portable, Retron77, Flashback9 Composite, Flashback9 HDMI, 8-way scrolling Breakout, Breakout party game, Demo, Game and Demo

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users