Photo

Things we don't "need", but want for the TI.. hey, it's a hobby... right?

30 replies to this topic

#26 FarmerPotato ONLINE  

FarmerPotato

Chopper Commander

• 218 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2019 1:30 AM

Another crazy notion: build a laptop style keyboard which (with the original keyboard removed of course) sits right on top of the portions of the case surrounding the original keyboard, and has consequent key height slightly less than the conventional keyboard (due to much lower key height on the replacement board). 

Doesn't offer the same tactile advantages as good modern desktop keyboard mechanisms, but I'd still prefer a nice modern laptop-style keyboard to my hugely worn out and mushy TI 99/4A mechanisms. 

But more importantly (from the point of view of the outcome being interesting), it offers a lot more real estate in which to screw around with the key layout and add keys (mainly, the prospect of a sixth row), without damaging the unit. 

So like this sort of placement, but with TI-appropriate keys and key arrangement:

ti-keyboard.png

Downside would surely be that sourcing DIY desktop keyboard parts is easy, while repurposing or sourcing laptop mechanisms is likely to be more of a nuisance. 

I was about to tell arcadeshopper "hold my beer" while I dremeled out a 4A case to fit a scrapped Dell laptop keyboard, but, you made the point right there.

Not as much fun as making a PCB though.

I use laptop style keyboards exclusively around here (IceKey and MacBookPro mostly)

Edited by FarmerPotato, Wed Jan 9, 2019 1:33 AM.

#27 pixelpedant OFFLINE  

pixelpedant

Star Raider

• 58 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:17 AM

I use laptop style keyboards exclusively around here (IceKey and MacBookPro mostly)

Yeah, likewise, I've got a desktop and a laptop at my desk at work, but at least half of the time, I end up coding on my laptop regardless.  So I can't really see good laptop keys as much of a real step backwards, when I can't be bothered to avoid them given the opportunity. Though I will say I'm really picky about laptop key layout and bindings. 

Edited by pixelpedant, Wed Jan 9, 2019 10:18 AM.

#28 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,423 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2019 4:34 PM

Another crazy notion: build a laptop style keyboard which (with the original keyboard removed of course) sits right on top of the portions of the case surrounding the original keyboard, and has consequent key height slightly less than the conventional keyboard (due to much lower key height on the replacement board). 

Doesn't offer the same tactile advantages as good modern desktop keyboard mechanisms, but I'd still prefer a nice modern laptop-style keyboard to my hugely worn out and mushy TI 99/4A mechanisms. 

But more importantly (from the point of view of the outcome being interesting), it offers a lot more real estate in which to screw around with the key layout and add keys (mainly, the prospect of a sixth row), without damaging the unit. 

So like this sort of placement, but with TI-appropriate keys and key arrangement:

ti-keyboard.png

Downside would surely be that sourcing DIY desktop keyboard parts is easy, while repurposing or sourcing laptop mechanisms is likely to be more of a nuisance. 

That looks pretty nice! But I think my big hands would be kind of squished... you're adding about 3 keywidths to the 'A' line (for instance).

Still, I like the mockup. :)

#29 pixelpedant OFFLINE  

pixelpedant

Star Raider

• 58 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2019 5:30 PM

That looks pretty nice! But I think my big hands would be kind of squished... you're adding about 3 keywidths to the 'A' line (for instance).

Still, I like the mockup. :)

Oh yeah, as I say, you surely wouldn't want that (or any modern PC) key layout.  You'd want a more TI appropriate one. 

Specifically, I figure there's room for one additional (sixth) row of keys, with one additional key column in at least three existing rows. 

Which is to say one would want an unusually tall layout by present standards.  But subnotebooks of the 4:3 form factor era certainly featured such keyboard dimensions regularly enough. 

As far as the possibility of repurposing some existing suitable board goes (presuming an interface could be built), I guess there would be the option of just completely ignoring the existing key labels and working out the signal translation to suit the desired layout itself, with key arrangement/size being the sole priority.  Then perhaps figuring something out as far as labeling goes, if one feels that's important. 

As someone who regularly rebinds keys anyways and owns one keyboard with blank keycaps, I don't suppose that would be my priority though. 

Edited by pixelpedant, Wed Jan 9, 2019 5:31 PM.

#30 retroclouds OFFLINE  

retroclouds

Stargunner

• 1,681 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 AM

I recall in the 90s there was an accelerator card in the works... Looking it up in MICROpendium it looks like it was being made by Don O'Neil. It was eventually dropped, presumably due to some hardware issues.

Well there is an accelerator in the F18a. The thing is interfacing with it and the limited memory bandwith.

#31 GDMike OFFLINE  

GDMike

Star Raider

• 88 posts

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:19 AM

I'd love to see a flat glass keyboard - basically touch screen..oh yeah

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users