Photo

Play NES carts on the go - Retro Champ

10 replies to this topic

#1 malrak OFFLINE  

malrak

Chopper Commander

• 168 posts

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2019 3:55 PM

I'm not familiar with "My Arcade," but this has my interest.  A portable NES that uses actual NES and Famicom carts.

Article from Gizmodo

Retro Champ

#2 derFunkenstein OFFLINE  

derFunkenstein

Stargunner

• 1,187 posts

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2019 4:07 PM

16:9 screen guarantees everything will be stretched. :lol:

Also, if you were familiar with My Arcade, you would have known this was garbage before ever reading the article. 

#3 0078265317 OFFLINE  

Quadrunner

• 6,308 posts

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2019 7:04 PM

I just saw this few days ago. Looks cool but there are others.

#4 youxia OFFLINE  

youxia

Dragonstomper

• 668 posts

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2019 8:59 PM

I am so, so tired of CGI mockups.

#5 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 12,879 posts

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2019 10:30 PM

On the plus side, you can connect it to a TV via HDMI. It makes me wonder if this will be using emulation, or a traditional NOAC setup with some kind of analog to digital converter on the inside.

I'm not a fan of My Arcade's stuff, but to be fair, you do get what you pay for (their devices that can be found at Wal-Mart is bottom-of-the-barrel material, but what do you expect from $20 products?). This on the other hand is more expensive. I'll be interested to see reviews when it releases, but I'm still not holding my breath for anything special.

#6 DragonGrafx-16 ONLINE  

DragonGrafx-16

Chopper Commander

• 239 posts

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2019 10:52 PM

Eew... the dpad is separate buttons lol

#7 BrianC OFFLINE  

BrianC

Stargunner

• 1,699 posts

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2019 11:01 PM

I did like a few of their official licensed mini arcades, but most of their stuff is a bit kitschy. This only has buttons as a dpad to copy switch, not for any practical reason like being able to use one side of a controller as a separate controller. Reminds me of that thing that resembles a Game and Watch handheld (made by Lexibook, not My Arcade).  

Edited by BrianC, Mon Jan 7, 2019 11:20 PM.

#8 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 12,879 posts

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2019 11:06 PM

Eew... the dpad it separate buttons lol

If you know what normal "My Arcade" d-pads are like, the split button setup is a godsend.

#9 BrianC OFFLINE  

BrianC

Stargunner

• 1,699 posts

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2019 11:27 PM

If you know what normal "My Arcade" d-pads are like, the split button setup is a godsend.

The dpad on those mini arcade things actually works better with the joystick on, which makes no sense at all. It's too mushy when used as a dpad. It's actually not the worst dpad I have used and the games still play well (especially the ones with left and right movement like Mappy, Galaga, and Galaxian), but it could have been better. Not sure about their other devices, but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't great. 

#10 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,580 posts

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:27 AM

I'm actually thinking I'd buy this.

I've got a FC Mobile 88 and it's fantastic, but flawed.  It hates a few of the less used upper Famicom mappers, and the TV out is a subpar mono cable to rca mono split which blows, and the batteries probably last 10-20 hours on the ones in there which is fine.  I like it it works, but it's FC only.  This though with the nice wide panel, and using BOTH carts and with that battery life, if it matches the 88 or passes it in compatibility I'm all for it.

That render is annoying, B and A are swapped, best not be for playing or they can choke. >:\  I've seen plenty of those more keychain sized or pocket players from China that seemingly all love to put those backwards making enough games unplayable.

#11 Jin OFFLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 3,058 posts

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 9:40 AM

Eew... the dpad is separate buttons lol

My thoughts exactly! Just because Nintendo decided to make the d-pad on the Switch separate buttons doesn't mean it's a good idea. I guess they're just trying to ape what seems trendy right now.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users