Photo

NFL analyist references the TI

19 replies to this topic

#1 adamantyr OFFLINE  

adamantyr

Stargunner

• 1,428 posts

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 11:08 AM

So I was checking out the NFL website today, and what is this, a reference to the TI!

"... Worth noting is that the Cowboys are not exactly the NFL's version of the iPad Pro with a mounted virtual pencil. The way Dallas plays defense, runs the football and keeps the passing game mostly simple is more synonymous with the TI-99/4A home computer, which was from the era when "Family Ties" was crushing in the ratings and John Robinson's Rams pants were pulled up to the midriff ..."

Full Article here:

http://www.nfl.com/n...ivisional-round

#2 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• 6,939 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 12:21 PM

During a local-affiliate Packers broadcast earlier this year (preseason, I think), James Lofton mentioned the Apple //e he owned back in his playing days and how not-computer-savvy he was. I don't recall the context, though.

#3 Airshack OFFLINE  

Airshack

Dragonstomper

• 860 posts

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 1:14 PM

So I was checking out the NFL website today, and what is this, a reference to the TI!

"... Worth noting is that the Cowboys are not exactly the NFL's version of the iPad Pro with a mounted virtual pencil. The way Dallas plays defense, runs the football and keeps the passing game mostly simple is more synonymous with the TI-99/4A home computer, which was from the era when "Family Ties" was crushing in the ratings and John Robinson's Rams pants were pulled up to the midriff ..."

Full Article here:
http://www.nfl.com/n...ivisional-round

May we safely assume ALL fans of the TEXAS Instruments TI-99/4 are also fans of America’s Team: DALLAS COWBOYS?

#4 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,865 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 1:24 PM

May we safely assume ALL fans of the TEXAS Instruments TI-99/4 are also fans of America’s Team: DALLAS COWBOYS?

No.

I suspect one of two things: these commentators are users and lurk here, or go on Google to look up computers from desired time-frames converse to modern technology to make points in their analogies.

#5 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Sunbaenim

• 13,495 posts

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 1:32 PM

No.

I suspect one of two things: these commentators are users and lurk here, or go on Google to look up computers from desired time-frames converse to modern technology to make points in their analogies.

Hmmm, maybe he saw my TI-99/4A's trackball? 

post-35324-0-55523500-1546725255.jpg

#6 LASooner ONLINE  

LASooner

Moonsweeper

• 344 posts

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:03 PM

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c35021c374d714532

#7 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• 6,939 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:17 PM

I suspect one of two things: these commentators are users and lurk here

I guarantee you Elliot Harrison does not even know what AtariAge is.

...or go on Google to look up computers from desired time-frames converse to modern technology to make points in their analogies.

Possible. Or, he remembers TI computers from back in the day (maybe he had one?) and saw an opening for a Texas-related pun regarding the Cowboys' steady but underwhelming play.

#8 adamantyr OFFLINE  

adamantyr

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,428 posts

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 2:41 PM

Absolutely not. Seahawks fan here. I can't stand the Cowboys.

#9 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 10,379 posts

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:59 PM

Broncos fan here.... I also tolerate a few other teams as well... the Cowboys are not one of them.

#10 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,865 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:37 PM

Well, since we are sounding off; Red Wings fan, here!

#11 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

River Patroller

• 2,119 posts

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:45 PM

I will continue to lurk as a Cowboys fan...

...waitaminute, dang it.

#12 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Sunbaenim

• 13,495 posts

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:57 PM

I almost lost money on the Seahawks this year.  At the beginning of the season I bet they would not make it to the playoffs.  Hey, after getting rid of some good players I thought it was a good bet.  I lost, but figured that since they are good at grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory, I'll use the last Superbowl they were in as an example, I bet that they would lose that last game.  I feel good, I broke even. 

#13 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

Quadrunner

• 5,028 posts

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 6:29 PM

What sport is this they play? I recognize none of these teams. . .but then, there are no professional sports that I have any kind of interest in, which would explain my extreme lack of knowledge in that area.

#14 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 10,379 posts

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 7:20 PM

I hated the Yzerman, Federov, Hasek years.... many many times my beloved Avs were eliminated by that trio of death....

#15 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

Quadrunner

• 5,847 posts

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 7:37 PM

What sport is this they play? I recognize none of these teams. . .but then, there are no professional sports that I have any kind of interest in, which would explain my extreme lack of knowledge in that area.

Hand egg, not to be confused with football

#16 JB OFFLINE  

JB

Quadrunner

• 9,271 posts
  • With Stereo-Of-The-Art-Sound

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 7:59 PM

Calvinball.

#17 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,865 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2019 8:55 PM

Calvinball.

CALVINBALL!!

#18 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

Quadrunner

• 5,028 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2019 7:27 AM

Calvin is always a useful reference, and Calvinball is a great way to show the insanity that is organized sports.

#19 JB OFFLINE  

JB

Quadrunner

• 9,271 posts
  • With Stereo-Of-The-Art-Sound

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2019 7:52 AM

Not gonna lie, I'd watch pro calvinball.

#20 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,423 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2019 4:38 PM

Not gonna lie, I'd watch pro calvinball.

"And the Cowboys are heading for the endzone, and WAIT A MINUTE! Mcneil has just declared the entire last segment of the field to be LAVA! The Cowboys are trying to hop across it without touching any of the green and... oh no! He fell in! The ball is loose!"

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users