IGNORED

Loading games by Record Player

fred

I ran across this today about a guy making a steampunk Sega SMS system. One line in the article stated that he tried to find a way to load games via phonograph. I dont think he was successful.

Just curious, since 2600 games are so small couldnt this work on an Atari? The supercharger uses cassettes, but couldnt smaller games run off a record? I dont see why youd want to except to show you could. Just am interesting thought. A steampunk 2600 or 7800 would be cool ?

https://kotaku.com/artist-turns-sega-mega-drive-into-the-steampunkiest-con-1831617855

• Like 1

Yes, vinyl has been used for the C64, ZX Spectrum, Atari 8-bit and a bunch more. Usually it is a novelty, unless you've got a record player in close proximity to your computer.

Given that a LP can hold at least 23 minutes of sound per side, sometimes far more than so, you shouldn't need to limit yourself to very short programs. If I understand correctly, the Supercharger operates with either 520 baud or 1300 baud (at least PAL versions). That means at least 60 bytes per second, or 17 seconds for a kilobyte. That means one minute of recording would equal 3.5K at the slow speed. If you manage the high speed, you'd easily fill 6K in 40-45 seconds.

I suppose engraving vinyl records is the biggest hurdle here, at least for one-offs and experimental use.

• Like 2

There's some vinyl games available for Commodore 64, I remember when UKs C&VG magazine had a 'flexi' with games for C64 as a cover mount. Some UK rock band had a game for C64 on their album, if I remember right.

oh there is just no way dawg, you must just be thinkin of the 'money for nothing' video

DbD9OmFXUAAft6b.jpg

Edited by chewy

There's some vinyl games available for Commodore 64, I remember when UKs C&VG magazine had a 'flexi' with games for C64 as a cover mount. Some UK rock band had a game for C64 on their album, if I remember right.

It was either Frankie Goes to Hollywood or THe Pet Shop Boys.

• Like 1

I was at a warehouse party in Chicago 10+ years ago where there were dozens of slightly damaged copies of this record in a crate, someone knew one of the guys behind it and gave me a copy https://www.discogs.com/8-Bit-Construction-Set-The-8-Bit-Construction-Set/release/7941

From this site: http://www.beigerecords.com/artists/8bitcs.html

"the record:
currently receiving play from an impressive array of tastemakers including matthew herbert, mixmaster mike, bodenstandig 2000, dj godfather, and luke vibert, The 8-Bit Construction Set seems poised to redefine the very limits of what one can put on a slab of wax. half dj battle record/half concept album, The 8-Bit Construction Set record is also the first ever use of the vinyl recording medium for software distribution - the inside tracks are audio data which can be dubbed to cassette tape and booted in your respective atari or commodore 8-bit computers (guinness world record for first-ever vinyl-to-software programming is currently pending). and, as if you still had doubts about these artists' chops, you should know that this record was entirely programmed in 6502 assembly language. beat that. "
Looks like it's for Atari 800 though and not 2600 :( - though apparently you can play it in / load on an Atari 800xl. I never did try to load the C64 side into my actual 64 though I have the means. I never had a 800XL.
Just thought it was somewhat relevant to share!
Edited by yanbu

but how does it load in real time w/ the vinyl-- you know when i had a starpath superchager, it loads the data and then it plays, but with a record, it would be different-

It would be the same, just that the audio is coming from a different source. For example a MP3 player http://atariage.com/forums/topic/188884-using-mp3-files-with-starpath-supercharger/

but how does it load in real time w/ the vinyl-- you know when i had a starpath superchager, it loads the data and then it plays, but with a record, it would be different-

The SuperCharger was used to load games from vinyl here, there's no difference in the output to the AD converter:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/248330-starpath-supercharger-games-on-vinyl/

What's the most obtuse Rube Goldberg contraption for loading a game? I think it needs a robot arm to tap the telegraph machine and a Raspberry Pi to control the robot. Some how this connects to the record player reading the game software.

Edited by azure

The SuperCharger was used to load games from vinyl here, there's no difference in the output to the AD converter:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/248330-starpath-supercharger-games-on-vinyl/

As long as the output of the record player is a typical 1/4" or 1/8" audio jack, should be no problem. A Victorola + microphone and audio relay could be added to the Rube Goldberg.

• Like 1

As long as the output of the record player is a typical 1/4" or 1/8" audio jack, should be no problem. A Victorola + microphone and audio relay could be added to the Rube Goldberg.

That would be awesome to see, analog recording technology hasn't changed much since 1888.

At 300 baud (the slowest of the variable speed settings) the SuperCharger is quite tolerant of noise on the line provided the timing is good.

It was either Frankie Goes to Hollywood or THe Pet Shop Boys.

There were a few who did this, but the one that (I think) was being specifically referenced for the C64 was The Thompson Twins Adventure.

As a semi-related aside, Information Society did something nifty on the Peace & Love, Inc. album a few years later: there was a bonus track called 300bps, 8, N, 1 at the end. When played back through a modem, you'd see this text in your terminal.

• Like 1