Gotek. Share with Amiga?

10 replies to this topic

#1 new666uk OFFLINE  

new666uk

Combat Commando

• 3 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:26 AM

Hi all.

I have a 520 STFM and a couple of Amigas (600 and 1200).

I wondered if it was feasible to install the wiring for a Gotek but leave the wires exposed as if connecting an external device.

Could the gotek then be swopped between Atari and Amiga? I assume I'd need a seperate flash drive for both.

Is there a better altenative to gotek? I have WHDload on the 1200 but to be honest I'm disappointed as I need a RAM expansion to run most games I want due to WHD's overhead requirement.

I have plenty of retro stuff up and running - NES, Snes, Megadrive/Genesis, PS2, original xbox and 360. I'd love to get my ST running but trying to avoid a huge pile of disks taking up space.

Thanks
Paul

#2 dma OFFLINE  

dma

Space Invader

• 25 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:27 AM

Using a Gotek or an encased HxC "externally", switching between ST and Amiga with respective floppy ribbon and power cable hanging out of the original floppy opening, could be a solution yes.

This would probably require cable/ribbon replacement, with a longer one, or an extension.

Edited by dma, Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:27 AM.

#3 new666uk OFFLINE  

new666uk

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:34 AM

Using a Gotek or an encased HxC "externally", switching between ST and Amiga with respective floppy ribbon and power cable hanging out of the original floppy opening, could be a solution yes.

This would probably require cable/ribbon replacement, with a longer one, or an extension.

Thanks dma, I figured I'd need to order 2 lots of cables but hadn't thought about the length.

Are there any solutions for the ST other than gotek? Something with a desktop or menu frontend?

#4 dma OFFLINE  

dma

Space Invader

• 25 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:05 AM

HxC can be used with a menu software on ST (and also exists on Amiga), to switch inserted/configured virtual floppies (and change some other settings on the device it seems).

But also Gotek, when used with a specific firmware developed by the man behind HxC, can offer the same functionality.

Edited by dma, Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:08 AM.

#5 ParanoidLittleMan OFFLINE  

ParanoidLittleMan

Stargunner

• 1,513 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:01 AM

It's nice to have frontend, image selector running on Atari self, but be prepared that it will not work from most of games, and there is many of them where will need to change disks, so images. I would care more about how good that menu on HW floppy emulator is.

And, watching that video reminded me how slow depacking is usually with menu disks, and original SW too.

There are many games adapted for mass storage (hard disks, Flash card based adapters) - there no need to care about disk swap, and all goes faster.

http://atari.8bitchip.info/fromhd2.php

I can say with confidence that practically all quality Atari ST games are already adapted (patched).

But you will need min 1 MB RAM for that pleasure.

#6 dma OFFLINE  

dma

Space Invader

• 25 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:14 AM

If i understand the device correctly, the configured floppies images are assigned to slots which can switched in the emulated drives with a button on the device front interface.

The selector program is used to select which floppy you want to put in each swap-able slot.

Edited by dma, Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:14 AM.

#7 amiman99 OFFLINE  

amiman99

Stargunner

• 1,223 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:03 AM

Just get 2 Gotek drives, very cheap, and flash it yourself, then leave them in the computers instead swapping them.

You can also do the LCD mod, so you can see the floppy disk names, very easy to do also.

Here are my pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• a500 gotek.jpg
  • atari-ste-gotek.jpg

#8 new666uk OFFLINE  

new666uk

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:56 PM

Thanks all. So it's fundamentally possible but the key thing is I need to have 1meg or greater. If I remember correctly 520s only had half that?

#9 dma OFFLINE  

dma

Space Invader

• 25 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:34 PM

A 520 STfm basically got half a meg yes.

Memory can be extended, but with some add-on / modification (not as simply as upgrading a STe model where you just need to plug some RAM module on the mainboard).

Why do you talk about 1meg here now, in this discussion about drive emulators, as a requirement?

Sure thing is that some games requires 1meg, and won't work with only half a meg, even with a real original floppy drive. :)

Edited by dma, Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:36 PM.

#10 ParanoidLittleMan OFFLINE  

ParanoidLittleMan

Stargunner

• 1,513 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:40 PM

A 520 STfm basically got half a meg yes.

Memory can be extended, but with some add-on / modification (not as simply as upgrading a STe model where you just need to plug some RAM module on the mainboard).

Why do you talk about 1meg here now, in this discussion about drive emulators, as a requirement?

Sure thing is that some games requires 1meg, and won't work with only half a meg, even with a real original floppy drive. :)

I was who mentioned that 1 MB is needed for gaming from mass storage, hard disk type - like UltraSatan.

#11 dma OFFLINE  

dma

Space Invader

• 25 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:00 PM

Ah, required for Peter's game adaptations running from hard drive or other mass storage type, yes.

And those are a comfortable way to run games indeed.

With Gotek or HxC, games requirement are the same as running those on original floppies, so many runs on half a meg.

1meg upgrade still surely is a really recommended one anyway. :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users