IGNORED

Mega Speedy Questions

Larry

I haven't used my Mega Speedy in a couple of years, and basically have forgotten how to use it. I *think* that all the user needs to do is to power up and set the selector to the appropriate hardware type and then boot the appropriate software. (?) But perhaps I'm missing some key points? Are there some actual docs. Couldn't find any in the thread or at Hias' site.

Thanks,

Larry

Yes, basically it's just this. After power-up (and after pressing reset) you can select the desired mode.

If you haven't used your Mega Speedy for quite some time you probably missed the firmware/software update from 2017 which fixed highspeed issues on NTSC Atari systems when using one of the Speedy modes.

So it's a good idea to update the flasher, config and Speedy slots with the latest version from my website.

so long,

Hias

• Like 5

Yes, basically it's just this. After power-up (and after pressing reset) you can select the desired mode.

If you haven't used your Mega Speedy for quite some time you probably missed the firmware/software update from 2017 which fixed highspeed issues on NTSC Atari systems when using one of the Speedy modes.

Mmmmmm, that explains it !!! Need to update......uggghhhhh....no time...

• 4 months later...

Is the mega speedy still buy able?

Only if you manage to convince someone who already has one, or an extra, to sell...

ABBUC has no more since at least 2 years ago... (I asked)

The nice thing though is that 'most' of the upgrades it emulates can be acquired through other sources.

- Mini Speedy: tf_hh

- Happy: AtariMax

- US Doubler: homebrew (ie me lol)

- Turbo 1050: tf_hh

- Super Archiver: tf_hh

Unobtanium:

- Super Speedy (entire disk RAM cache, sector copy can read an entire disk in 13 seconds to drive RAM, write out just as fast after format) (I'm not sure how 'Mega Speedy' mode improves upon Super speedy mode?)

- I.S. Plate

- Duplicator

- any more?

But then I guess the whole point was to put them all in 1 drive at once...

• Like 2

- Super Speedy (entire disk RAM cache, sector copy can read an entire disk in 13 seconds to drive RAM, write out just as fast after format) (I'm not sure how 'Mega Speedy' mode improves upon Super speedy mode?)

There´s no difference using the Super Speedy feature between a real Super Speedy and the emulation by MegaSpeedy.

BTW, it´s simple to create a Mini-Speedy 1050 PCB with Super Speedy feature (I´ve done that in the past), but... who else than Wolfgang, chairman of the ABBUC, have the need to copy 400 disks frequently? :?

• Like 1

There´s no difference using the Super Speedy feature between a real Super Speedy and the emulation by MegaSpeedy.

BTW, it´s simple to create a Mini-Speedy 1050 PCB with Super Speedy feature (I´ve done that in the past), but... who else than Wolfgang, chairman of the ABBUC, have the need to copy 400 disks frequently? :?

Thanks! I'm curious, is the extra Super-Speedy RAM only used by the disk copier? ie. does regular DOS usage with Super Speedy take advantage of RAM-caching up-to the entire disk?

I'm sure there would be 'some' people interested in a dedicated Mini-Super-Speedy PCB just to see the full-disk copier in action, but otherwise not for practical use. :)

Thanks! I'm curious, is the extra Super-Speedy RAM only used by the disk copier? ie. does regular DOS usage with Super Speedy take advantage of RAM-caching up-to the entire disk?

I'm sure there would be 'some' people interested in a dedicated Mini-Super-Speedy PCB just to see the full-disk copier in action, but otherwise not for practical use. :)

Yes, only the special copy tool booted with open drive lever will use the whole memory of 192 KB. The genuine Super Speedy uses six SRAMs with 32 KB each = 192 KB. Enough for one DD disc. Without the Super-Speedy copy tool it´s just a normal Speedy 1050 (like the replica Mini-Speedy 1050).

I remember an article in the CSM (Compy-Shop Magazine, german only, sorry) where the Super-Speedy was mentioned. The maker of this talked about such a feature, reading the whole disc into memory after insertion, but they decided, that´s an annoying feature. Even when the Super-Speedy is fast, it would take approx 13-20 seconds to read the whole disc.

Maybe I will make a small batch with a special edition :)

• Like 3

Yes, only the special copy tool booted with open drive lever will use the whole memory of 192 KB. The genuine Super Speedy uses six SRAMs with 32 KB each = 192 KB. Enough for one DD disc. Without the Super-Speedy copy tool it´s just a normal Speedy 1050 (like the replica Mini-Speedy 1050).

I remember an article in the CSM (Compy-Shop Magazine, german only, sorry) where the Super-Speedy was mentioned. The maker of this talked about such a feature, reading the whole disc into memory after insertion, but they decided, that´s an annoying feature. Even when the Super-Speedy is fast, it would take approx 13-20 seconds to read the whole disc.

Interesting, yes, that's one way of doing it. I wonder if the maker considered another method - to read a track-at-once like regular speedy, but keep previously read tracks in RAM, instead of re-using the 1 track buffer when a different track is read. That way you have immediate use, and reading track 1, then 2, then 1 again will not cause a re-reading of track 1. (Since there is now 40 track buffers) A 40-bit bitmap could be used for status of each track, which would all clear with disk lever is opened.

Probably too late for re-engineering the firmware, but I can dream! :D

• Like 2

Interesting, yes, that's one way of doing it. I wonder if the maker considered another method - to read a track-at-once like regular speedy, but keep previously read tracks in RAM, instead of re-using the 1 track buffer when a different track is read. That way you have immediate use, and reading track 1, then 2, then 1 again will not cause a re-reading of track 1. (Since there is now 40 track buffers) A 40-bit bitmap could be used for status of each track, which would all clear with disk lever is opened.

For read-only that's nice but for read/write operations you need some way to write away changed data. One of the reasons that was never attempted in anything even remotely mainstream might be users being accustomed to being able to remove discs once the write sound had subsided. The Mac with its software-controlled eject feature was considered a bit eccentric at first and even these days a lot of users don't make the effort to eject their USB sticks before removing them.

Nice idea! It´s never too late for new firmware(s) :-D - But my spare time is fully used for hardware design and making...

• Like 1