Photo

A Poll about doing an OutRun for A8...

outRun

54 replies to this topic

Poll: About doing an OutRun for A8... (56 member(s) have cast votes)

If is more simple and a possible way to have it then would you consider a 'dirty' and 'quicker' version similar to C64 with all wide single colour with no sides own colour (like grass, water) but still gfxs (trees, rocks, signs, buildin...

1. Yes, is better than having nothing (12 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

2. No, it needs to have the sides floor (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Make it without the sides floor colour by now maybe it'll help for a future version with it (8 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Any of the two is good for me (14 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. Don't do it because an A8 version will never be good and similar to the arcade version (9 votes [16.07%])

Percentage of vote: 16.07%

6. I don't have any opinion (5 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Josť Pereira ONLINE  

Josť Pereira

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,164 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:31 AM

Well, it certainly looks better with the color-cycling (I'm assuming) landscape stripes than just one solid color. That makes a big difference to me in how it looks in lieu of different color road sides.

Though I'm not a fan of the style of art you are using, it's too Nintendo cutesy-kid looking for me; I'm expecting Mario to come racing up from behind in is go-kart. I'd try to stick closer to the Master System's graphic look.

The Master System has too many details and remember is in 1:1 ratio with lots of colours. It's impossible to get it on A8.

Only thing I have in mind to do and show, probably, like I said, not today but by tomorrow is to have also the sides ground in different colour(s) but using this same method.

On A8 and C64 with 2:1 ratio and 3 0r 4colours per char you'll always have something similar to this.

:thumbsup:

And if you like (it seems you don't ;) then I could still replace the Ferrari with Mario and his kart :grin:...

#52 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 9,918 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:33 AM

The Master System has too many details and remember is in 1:1 ratio with lots of colours. It's impossible to get it on A8.

Only thing I have in mind to do and show, probably, like I said, not today but by tomorrow is to have also the sides ground in different colour(s) but using this same method.

On A8 and C64 with 2:1 ratio and 3 0r 4colours per char you'll always have something similar to this.

:thumbsup:

And if you like (it seems you don't ;) then I could still replace the Ferrari with Mario and his kart :grin:...

I'm not saying MATCH the Sega master systems graphics exactly, but the style of the art can be translated to the Atari within the same restrictions you are using now. It won't be as detailed as the Master System, but it can still have an art style like it. Sort of like Rastaconverter images that go from a 320x240 reduced images in 10's of thousands of colors to 320x240, 256 colors and then to 160x240 with an average of 64 colors from a 128 color palette. If I convert an image of Speed Racer's Mach 5, it still looks like the Mach 5 and not Herby the love Bug. ;)

Edited by Gunstar, Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:41 AM.

#53 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,945 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:13 PM

yes the art style like master system or arcade... all cars being round balloon like is not the outrun signature...

#54 Josť Pereira ONLINE  

Josť Pereira

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,164 posts

Posted Today, 8:04 AM

I'm not saying MATCH the Sega master systems graphics exactly, but the style of the art can be translated to the Atari within the same restrictions you are using now. It won't be as detailed as the Master System, but it can still have an art style like it. Sort of like Rastaconverter images that go from a 320x240 reduced images in 10's of thousands of colors to 320x240, 256 colors and then to 160x240 with an average of 64 colors from a 128 color palette. If I convert an image of Speed Racer's Mach 5, it still looks like the Mach 5 and not Herby the love Bug. ;)

yes the art style like master system or arcade... all cars being round balloon like is not the outrun signature...

The idea by now is to have the game like C64 is possible using its way ;).

Of course that the gfxs can be improved...

Edited by Josť Pereira, Today, 8:04 AM.

#55 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 8,270 posts

Posted Today, 8:12 AM

Hopefully an Atari 8-bit version of OutRun can widely outperform the lacklustre original C64 version, which as mentioned before is rather low rated. There were sequels which don't have the striped road, but otherwise both look nicer and play better so if one wants a challenge, you'd port Turbo OutRun or OutRun Europa even if those titles for nostalgic reasons may not be as strong as the original game.

Actually I believe Sega on purpose made sure all home versions would look and play crappy except for the ones for their own consoles Master System and Genesis/Mega Drive, as a statement who's got the better game consoles on the market.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: outRun

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users