Photo

What's the Ideal Number of Controller for Most Systems?

28 replies to this topic

#1 Games Retrospect OFFLINE  

Games Retrospect

Chopper Commander

• 206 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:36 AM

For the post few months, I've been trying (and for the most part failing) to add more controllers to my collection at a fair price. But what do you think is the sweet spot for the number of controllers for most systems in case you have people over and you want to play multiplayer or in case one breaks, fails, gets lost or whatever. Here's the number of controllers, I personally have for each system in my collection:

PlayStation: a Logitech wireless controller that's awesome, though X button doesn't work properly and a knockoff controller that simply sucks.

PlayStation 2: the same as the ones on the PlayStation.

Nintendo 64: two controllers that have the same problem, the joystick in both is broken.

Nintendo Wii: two controllers. I never needed more, but I want additional controllers for games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Mario Kart Wii.

SNES Classic: the two controllers that came with the system.

Xbox 360: three controllers and I'm more than happy with the number, though it never hurts to have more.

Xbox One: only one controller and that's the one that came with the console. These are extremely expensive where I live and although the controller works perfectly, it bugs me that I only have one.

What about you? How many controllers do you have for each console and what's your ideal number? Looking forward to reading your opinions and ideas.

#2 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

Quadrunner

• 5,370 posts
  • I took the midnight train going a-ny-where...

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:45 AM

One controller for each socket, unless there's a special purpose controller needed.

Granted I have about 20 nes controllers, but that's an anomaly.

#3 boxpressed OFFLINE  

boxpressed

River Patroller

• 2,928 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:53 AM

I'd like to get my controller situation under control (have too many). I mentioned in another thread that I'm getting rid of most third-party controllers unless they're high quality like the Logitech wireless for Xbox and PS2. I have come to terms with the reality that I will never have four simultaneous players! I have about a dozen PS3 and 360 controllers. I wish I could tell which PS3 controllers had the best batteries without having to test them.

#4 derFunkenstein OFFLINE  

derFunkenstein

Stargunner

• 1,185 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 AM

I'd like to have have exactly one controller for each controller port, and to have the best controller possible in each slot. Right now I'm not there. I only go third party if they're better than first party. 

Genesis/CD/32X: I have two systems, so I have two Sega 3-buttons, a Sega 6-button Arcade Pad, and a Joyzz (which is better only because it's wireless, but it feels as good as the other 6 button)

NES: One SN30 (black) with a retro receiver as my primary controller, three first-party rectangle controllers, and a Zapper. The 8bitdo has Bluetooth.

SNES: SN30 Pro with a retro receiver and three first-party controllers. Again with the Bluetooth advantage

Saturn: two first party 8-button non-3D controllers

Dreamcast: two first-party controllers (one white, one blue with a defective VMU reader)

PS2: Dual Shock 2's that work great. This is just where I need it to be

PS1 (coming soon): Will come with a Dual Shock and a first-party with no analog. Can work with the DS2's, too. 

PS3: One DS3

PS4: One DS4

Xbox 360: two first-party controllers

#5 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

Quadrunner

• 5,370 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:33 PM

I. I have come to terms with the reality that I will never have four simultaneous players! .

This is a big deal. I stopped buying controllers and four player adaptors because I've realized I'll probably never get a bunch of people playing N64 or Genesis multitap games. And that's okay.

#6 atari2600land OFFLINE  

atari2600land

Channel F Viewer

• 11,570 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:57 PM

I have one controller for each console I have because I'm a lonely guy. The only exceptions are 2600, NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, and the DK Bongos. I love me some DK Bongos. The NES and SNES and N64 are due to me owning these systems so when it came time to rebuy them used, I already had the controllers so I got more controllers because it was part of the set. I have like 4 Dreamcast controllers, though. I don't know how that happened.

#7 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,580 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:28 PM

I don't tend to keep more than 2-3 controllers per system, usually 2 standard type, and then maybe something special like the NES and SNES Advantage joysticks.  I just don't see a reason to go into more, and I don't have play parties where you do 3-4 people like with N64/Cube, and if I did they could bring their own.  It's best to keep just enough, not to be a hoarder.

#8 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

Quadrunner

• 5,370 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:01 PM

I don't tend to keep more than 2-3 controllers per system, usually 2 standard type, and then maybe something special like the NES and SNES Advantage joysticks.  I just don't see a reason to go into more, and I don't have play parties where you do 3-4 people like with N64/Cube, and if I did they could bring their own.  It's best to keep just enough, not to be a hoarder.

If you don't want to be a hoarder, you're in the wrong hobby.

#9 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,580 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 PM

Who said I was still really into the hobby?  I gave up collecting years ago.  It got ruined by the predatory wankers turning it into a cash game.  That's why I just have a few hundred games left and went and got a half dozen flash kits.

#10 godslabrat OFFLINE  

godslabrat

Quadrunner

• 5,370 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:18 PM

If you're here, you're still one of us.

#11 boxpressed OFFLINE  

boxpressed

River Patroller

• 2,928 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:32 PM

This is a big deal. I stopped buying controllers and four player adaptors because I've realized I'll probably never get a bunch of people playing N64 or Genesis multitap games. And that's okay.

It's possible my kid will want to play with his friends, but that's probably unlikely too. But here's the thing: I can always buy more if and when I need them. I'll let eBay be my plastic storage bin.

#12 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

• 15,071 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:32 PM

Depends on how many gamer friends you have.

I am really into the Switch right now, though I mostly play it by myself. I have 2 docks and 2 pro controllers so I have lots of choices about where to play -- and the Joy-Cons allow me to host up to 4 player games.

#13 Eltigro OFFLINE  

Eltigro

River Patroller

• 2,506 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:40 AM

Greater than or equal to 1.

But seriously, it really varies.  I have one N64 controller for its four ports.  But I don't play it much... and the only game I have is one player anyway.  I have three TurboGrafx controllers for its one port.  (I have a TurboTap, so I guess it's really up to 5?  Are we counting that?)  I have probably around five NES controllers for its two ports.  I have four GameCube controllers for its four ports.  I'm honestly not sure if I have one or two Dreamcast controllers, but I'm leaning toward one.  And also honestly not sure how many Atari 2600 controllers I have... don't know that I've had them all in the same place at the same time before.

In the end, the first thing I said, greater than or equal to 1, is about right for me because it's really pretty rare that anyone other than me is playing any of my systems.  It's nice to have backups, though, and variations and extras in case someone else is playing, though.

#14 GoldenWheels OFFLINE  

GoldenWheels

Stargunner

• 1,870 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:03 AM

More than I need. Which is good for when they break. Which they do. Cuz they old.

I like to have an arcade stick for every system, for the combo of stick+turbos. So that adds some redundancy.

For systems I really like (PC Engine, Atari 7800, the latter being an easy one), I like to try different unique controllers even if they don't turn into long term players. Hell I may even have a PC-E pachinko controller.

#15 Pixelboy ONLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 8,125 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:31 PM

What's the ideal number of controller for most systems?

NONE! I won't be satisfied until I can control the BurgerTime Chef around the screen with just the power of my brainwaves! :D

#16 jhd OFFLINE  

jhd

Stargunner

• 1,802 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:58 PM

When I first started collecting PlayStation games, controllers were both plentiful and cheap at thrift shops. I have about four third-party controllers (some rather odd), and a large number of original controllers -- some in different colours. I also have the multi-tap.

I have the two PlayStation 2 controllers that came with my system, together with another two(?) that I purchased at clearance still sealed in their original retail packaging.

I have no idea how many 2600 controllers I have as they are all packed away in storage. I seem to recall at least two of those unusual Gemini controllers.  

#17 GoldenWheels OFFLINE  

GoldenWheels

Stargunner

• 1,870 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:04 PM

Depends on how many gamer friends you have.

I am really into the Switch right now, though I mostly play it by myself. I have 2 docks and 2 pro controllers so I have lots of choices about where to play -- and the Joy-Cons allow me to host up to 4 player games.

You should be tarred and feathered for making people use those. Even kids. :P

(I'm just kidding I did this for a while too. but I determined a crappy generic controller was worth the $20. OTOH, now that i can't blame the joycon, I have no excuse for why my kids kill me at Smash, "this damn joy con is too small" is literally my updated version of "the button didn't work" from 2600 days.)

#18 GoldenWheels OFFLINE  

GoldenWheels

Stargunner

• 1,870 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:06 PM

What's the ideal number of controller for most systems?

NONE! I won't be satisfied until I can control the BurgerTime Chef around the screen with just the power of my brainwaves! :D

mindlink.JPG

What about a controller that doubles as a kick-ass piece of 80s fashion to help you move Peter Pepper up dem ladders....?

#19 Pixelboy ONLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 8,125 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:12 PM

mindlink.JPG

What about a controller that doubles as a kick-ass piece of 80s fashion to help you move Peter Pepper up dem ladders....?

Darn! You can't stop progress! :P

#20 Jin OFFLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 3,057 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:07 PM

I'm usually fine with one controller per system, barring speciality ones like trackballs, light guns, and arcade sticks. It's really a need based thing for me, asking myself the question "Can I think of any situation under which I would actually need more than one controller for this system?" and the answer is usually "no". There are some exceptions though, like how I have two Atari 2600 CX-40 style joysticks because I know they're prone to breaking or how I have two Wii remotes because there are light gun games on the Wii that let you dual wield with two guns at once. For the most part though one controller is fine by me.

#21 ventrra OFFLINE  

ventrra

Moonsweeper

• 300 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:29 PM

More than I need. Which is good for when they break. Which they do. Cuz they old.

I'll go along with this. I've has more controllers than I'd care to count break down on me.  They don't have to bee all that old, however. I have 3 non-functioning PlayStation 3 controllers next to me right now  :( .

#22 power OFFLINE  

power

Chopper Commander

• 146 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:16 PM

I'll go along with this. I've has more controllers than I'd care to count break down on me.  They don't have to bee all that old, however. I have 3 non-functioning PlayStation 3 controllers next to me right now  :( .

probably just batteries - it's worse if it's the charge port.

i think it depends largely on the system and games, 2 for most 4 for some is the ideal split.

#23 HoshiChiri OFFLINE  

HoshiChiri

Stargunner

• 1,272 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:43 PM

1 per port plus one for systems with ports. For systems without, I play it by ear based on if my friends have the system, if it's suited to multiplayer, etc. So I only have 2 xbox one controllers, but 4 wiimotes (and would like 1 more). I have 2 ps3, but 4 xbox 360 since my brother gave me his old ones when he sold his. This is all aside from speciality controllers like the NES advantage, light guns, dance pads & my dreamcast twin stick & pop n' music controller.

Not surprisingly, I have a cable/controller drawer tower that's about 4 1/2 feet tall. But it's nice to be ready for any multiplayer setup or controller breakdowns- even if they're not mine. My brother-in-law was over awhile ago and idly mentioned his only ps2 controller had broken down. I immediately pulled one out & handed it to him. (I actually found two more at local thrifts within a couple months, so I replaced mine & he's got a spare now.)

#24 Newsdee OFFLINE  

Newsdee

Stargunner

• 1,294 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:43 PM

There's also the question of identical controllers versus variants. I have maybe 4 NES gamepads, but two are the dogbones and I have other stuff e.g. NES Advantage and the NES Max.

Recently I have been hoping to converge to a lower number of controllers so I invested in an 8bitdo adapter for various systems (NES, SNES, and USB). That allows me to reuse gamepads more widely. My current favorites are the 8BitDo pads that look like a fat SNES gamepad with analogue sticks.

I was hoping at some point to have an "everything with everything" setup, but I gave up when I realized I would need a lot of adapters and cabling. I have enough adapters to do "everything" to USB (HID) at least.

Edited by Newsdee, Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:44 PM.

#25 Eltigro OFFLINE  

Eltigro

River Patroller

• 2,506 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:17 AM

I forgot about my NES Max... I mean, that's not hard to do considering I never use it.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users