IGNORED

Curved TV With Your Classic Console?

Yup. Big screen televisions cost upwards of $5,000 when they first come out. Now a round of drinks is more expensive than some base models.

"Big" is a relative term, too. We all remember when 40" was "big", but nowadays that's often referred to as a "bedroom TV". I thought my dearly departed 46" was awfully big when I first got it in early 2014, but now you can get 65" displays for $600 or less. Part of me regrets getting "only" a 55" TV as a replacement.

The whole concept of a curved TV was to reduce glare on the screen in rooms with a lot of light. I get some A/V installer mags and was reading a big story about them. Otherwise, they offer more than other TVs in that range.

It also was a thing to have something DIFFERENT in TVs that might help boxes sell faster. As we know it didn't do as well as claimed.

On deck for obsolescence: consumer-grade VR.

Nah, That stuff is selling through pretty well. My company just purchased a bunch of these for all the offices to have VR rooms for Revit walkthroughs of the facilities we design. Commercial application, but using consumer grade hardware, because frankly - it gets the job done. The facilities we hare designing that we are using this for are for clients who are the biggest names in Internet tech in the world right now.

I've honestly have ZERO interest in the curved TVs. Now I will say I could see a use for it as a large computer monitor since I'm only sitting like a ft away from the screen. But on my wall in the living room...? No...I've thought they look stupid bowed out from the wall like that and as was mentioned the side angle view is nearly non existent so again...nah I will pass. Now the new OLED super thin fold up kind of stuff that has been shown at CES I'm all about that!!!

Nah, That stuff is selling through pretty well. My company just purchased a bunch of these for all the offices to have VR rooms for Revit walkthroughs of the facilities we design. Commercial application, but using consumer grade hardware, because frankly - it gets the job done. The facilities we hare designing that we are using this for are for clients who are the biggest names in Internet tech in the world right now.

That sounds interesting, but niche.

Early adopters of technology often get screwed financially and then with obsolescence. I learned my lesson in the 80's.

Tell me about it...I learned mjne when I got a Canon HD videocam in 08...just way too ahead of the curve for my setup, and ten years later I still haven't uploaded any video to youtube...the whole reason I got it for. It was 800 CDN...the files were AVCHD, and my editing software didnt recognize those files until I got a new laptop two years later....but not before I wasted hundreds on other software packages that said they would work with AVCHD but didnt. Havent made that mistake again...even though the camera was still pretty good.

Tell me about it...I learned mjne when I got a Canon HD videocam in 08...just way too ahead of the curve for my setup, and ten years later I still haven't uploaded any video to youtube...the whole reason I got it for. It was 800 CDN...the files were AVCHD, and my editing software didnt recognize those files until I got a new laptop two years later....but not before I wasted hundreds on other software packages that said they would work with AVCHD but didnt. Havent made that mistake again...even though the camera was still pretty good.

I remember selling camcorders at that time. Had a lot of people aching to buy an HD cam. Talked more than a few out of it. Why? Because, at that time, there was no reliable consumer method of recording HD video. Blu-ray and HD-DVD were still duking it out and D-VHS came and went before anyone even knew about it. How was the average person going to show off their HD footage?

Essentially, I told prospective customers that the only viable option was to have a PC connected to your TV to show the footage. If they weren't willing to do that, they might as well use an SD camera because the end result would be the same.