IGNORED

HSC Season 10 - Game 4 - LOCK'N'CHASE

scalpel

Ugh! I'll put on some time on this during the week-end. However, I gotta say that Lock-N-Chase is one of those games on the Intellivision that plays soooo bad, it annoys me. The collision detection and the input granularity are bad. :mad:

-dZ.

Ugh! I'll put on some time on this during the week-end. However, I gotta say that Lock-N-Chase is one of those games on the Intellivision that plays soooo bad, it annoys me. The collision detection and the input granularity are bad. :mad:

-dZ.

I think I know what you mean by collision detection. Sometimes you can only just beat a policeman to the $, he collides with you slightly but you don't lose a life. I've also passed clear through a policeman a couple of times in the past.

What do you mean by granularity of controls though?

Edited by Bamse

I think I know what you mean by collision detection. Sometimes you can only just beat a policeman to the $, he collides with you slightly but you don't lose a life. I've also passed clear through a policeman a couple of times in the past.

What do you mean by granularity of controls though?

By "granularity of controls" I mean that the sampling rate of the user input is not fast enough, so you press the hand-controller button or disc and the game doesn't take it because it is not currently reading it. Then you miss corners and things like that.

Yup, with Intellivision LnC you have to plan your turns ahead of time. If you turn when you're at the intersection it's too late. Would be nice if it takes the turn if you're one pixel passed.

I think collision detection is pacman style zone based rather than pixel collision. That's why you can have various levels of overlap depending on where the two objects coordinates are relative to the zone.

Edited by mr_me

Do you guys have any tips on utilizing the doors (side buttons). For some reason I can't get the hang of using them effectively. I seem to do better just running for my life. Pre-planning turns also takes some getting used to. I guess I just need to practice.

Regarding collision, I think it was a glitch they tried to pass off as a feature. The manual mentions that you can occasionally pass through a policeman. Wasn't Old School like that as well?

Do you guys have any tips on utilizing the doors (side buttons). For some reason I can't get the hang of using them effectively. I seem to do better just running for my life. Pre-planning turns also takes some getting used to. I guess I just need to practice.

Regarding collision, I think it was a glitch they tried to pass off as a feature. The manual mentions that you can occasionally pass through a policeman. Wasn't Old School like that as well?

I would use doors mainly to trap cops for bonus points; at the two top corners and the bottom left corner. It closes the last door you pass so you have to let them get close to you; takes some practice I guess. Maybe later in the game when cops become really fast, closing doors might save your life. But at that point the game gets really hectic.