Mame and the TI roms.

24 replies to this topic

#1 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Stargunner

• 1,130 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:51 AM

Hi all.

I've been messing around with Mame a little more lately since I bought another PC.  

I'm loving the TI99 usage from it, but I'd like to try the TI99/2 and TI99/8 emulation if it's at all possible.  Does anyone have any reliably working ROMS for that machine that will work with Mame?  (I'm using the latest build and it's 64-bit if that helps?)

#2 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,477 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:13 AM

Sure. Have a look at WHTech. http://ftp.whtech.co...99_complete.zip

You just need to download the "complete" ZIP and unpack it into your rompath. Do not unpack the ZIPs inside.

#3 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,130 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:38 AM

Sure. Have a look at WHTech. http://ftp.whtech.co...99_complete.zip

You just need to download the "complete" ZIP and unpack it into your rompath. Do not unpack the ZIPs inside.

Thanks Mizapf.  

No 99/2 roms in there?  I thought someone had created a rom set for that one, might have been mistaken.  Thanks for the roms though, the 99/8 is an interesting machine.

#4 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Stargunner

• 1,022 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:33 AM

Thanks Mizapf.  

No 99/2 roms in there?  I thought someone had created a rom set for that one, might have been mistaken.  Thanks for the roms though, the 99/8 is an interesting machine.

I believe the two named ti99_224 and ti99_232 are for the 99/2.

#5 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,477 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:06 AM

Yes, these are the 24K and the 32K version.

Also, remember that you should use the HX5102 floppy with both machines. The 99/8 does accept the PEB, but Extended Basic II will lock up with a PEB disk controller.

mame64 ti99_8 -hexbus hx5102 -flop1 someimage.dsk

#6 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,130 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:15 AM

Brilliant thankyou! :)

Edit:  Does anyone know why CALL CHAR command is accepted but apparently doesn't actually do anything to the assigned character? :)

I'm going to try and make a little game for the 99/2 if I can.  It seems really zippy.

Edited by Retrospect, Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:43 AM.

#7 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,477 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:11 AM

You mean the TI-99/2? It has no effect because the character set is in ROM. There is no RAM space for user-defined characters. For some reason, they kept the subprogram.

#8 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,130 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:39 AM

You mean the TI-99/2? It has no effect because the character set is in ROM. There is no RAM space for user-defined characters. For some reason, they kept the subprogram.

Yeah, 99/2, yes the keeping of the subprogram caused me some confusion.  I could really write a nice dopewars or adventure text game for the 99/2 emulation but I can't seem to figure out how to enable memory expansion for it in mame.  It doesn't come up in the expansion options,  only thing that does appear is  the hx5102 .  

#9 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,477 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:47 AM

It has no expansion options because I did not see any such expansions yet (and it is not certain that its BASIC can actually handle them).

#10 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,130 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:44 PM

Right, hey thanks for bearing with me on this by the way.  I'm thinking the 24K Rom 99/2 if it has 4K of ram I might be able to make a half-decent little text game for it. 

#11 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,130 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:21 PM

Another thing, has anyone ever tried to make any games with the Extended Basic II on the TI99/8?  

I'm guessing no, since it was never released and there's no developer stuff for it, we can't really paste into it from textfile etc.

#12 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

Quadrunner

• 5,027 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:17 PM

I've seen a few programs for XB-II, but not all that many, made by the developers for the most part to exercise the various commands.

#13 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,130 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:47 PM

Seems the 99/8 emulation in mame has an issue with saving to cassette. I tried to record a program onto cassette it gets to counter position 11 and then acts as though it's saved the program. I thought only 11 was suspicious 'cos I had about 8K of program ... so yeah it didn't load when i OLD CS1'd it afterwards.  Dunno why.

#14 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,477 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:03 PM

I actually never tested saving to cassette on the TI-99/8 (you're a pioneer :) ). Do you hear something on the output wav file (using some audio player)?

#15 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,130 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:01 PM

I actually never tested saving to cassette on the TI-99/8 (you're a pioneer :) ). Do you hear something on the output wav file (using some audio player)?

I'm pleased to be a pioneer of this :)

I've tested a new cassette created, there was no noise during recording, it recorded again to tape position 11, and when  I tested the tape it found no data and again no loading noise.

#16 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,477 posts

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:36 AM

I can confirm your observation (!WORKSFORME) :)

It looks as if the 99/8 waits the silent time, but then stops to record when the header tone should start. No data is written via the CRU address that is supposed to be the cassette output.

Maybe you are not just a 99/8 emulation cassette testing pioneer, but a real 99/8 cassette testing pioneer. It would not sound too crazy if it turned out that the TI engineers just did not care about the analog cassette.

At least you can still use the HX5102 floppy drive.

#17 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,130 posts

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:11 AM

I can confirm your observation (!WORKSFORME) :)

It looks as if the 99/8 waits the silent time, but then stops to record when the header tone should start. No data is written via the CRU address that is supposed to be the cassette output.

Maybe you are not just a 99/8 emulation cassette testing pioneer, but a real 99/8 cassette testing pioneer. It would not sound too crazy if it turned out that the TI engineers just did not care about the analog cassette.

At least you can still use the HX5102 floppy drive.

LOL that's unreal.  The majority of TI owners that would have upgraded were cassette users (in the UK!)  They would have had a few recalls perhaps :)

#18 Casey OFFLINE  

Casey

Moonsweeper

• 319 posts

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:17 AM

While I haven’t had it in a long time - the 99/8 I had years ago had no problem reading and writing to cassette. It just didn’t have the remote line like the 99/4A has, but it worked just fine. Cassette was the only storage option I had - I didn’t have any HexBus devices and my 99/8 did not have a functioning expansion connector. I feel like it worked ok for me in MAME at one time - but I will try when I get home and see if I get the same thing.

#19 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,477 posts

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:02 PM

I found that the cassette save process is aborted shortly after the cassette interrupt has been armed; the same happens for loading. The load/save routines are quite similar to the 99/4A, some addresses adjusted. Looks like one of the more difficult bugs to find, if the bug is in MAME. I took a note for later resolution.

Any TI-99/8 user can check this (preferably Ciro, whose ROMs are used in MAME) by loading some BASIC program, not too short, from floppy and then trying SAVE CS1. This does not require a real cassette recorder. If the save process stops after about 11 seconds (which is too early), the issue is in the ROM. I am not sure whether the timing is 100% precise, so you could retry with programs of different lengths.

Edited by mizapf, Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:02 PM.

#20 Casey OFFLINE  

Casey

Moonsweeper

• 319 posts

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:48 PM

I just did some testing, since I still had some older MAME versions on my computer.  The cassette routine works fine in the 99/8 with mame 0.197.  It appears to have broken with 0.198, which only runs for 11 seconds and then stops.  With 0.197, I was able to successfully load a disk program (tic tac toe), save it to cassette (2m35s) and then NEW and OLD the program back in from cassette.

Hope that helps track it down!

#21 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,477 posts

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:41 PM

Hmmm, OK, what changed between both releases was the interrupt latching so that the 99/2 was working. I'll have a closer look in short term. Thank you for checking!

#22 kl99 OFFLINE  

kl99

Dragonstomper

• 857 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:59 AM

great find! some challenge for mizapf :)

#23 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,477 posts

Posted Yesterday, 3:01 AM

Somewhat like Rubik's Cube. You think you solved it, until you notice that you swapped pieces on the opposite face. The mentioned fix was required for the 99/2, but it broke the cassette on the 99/8.

#24 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,130 posts

Posted Yesterday, 4:30 AM

TI99/2 stock memory is shocking.  

10 DIM A(296) 

This is the maximum number I can dimension this array, any higher and it's out of memory.  But once  I've done that I don't have the memory for any more program , lol!

I was trying to make a dopewars text game for it.  You can guess how far I got.  And I wasn't using big numbers :)  
So instead I tried to make it for the 99/8 and used it's nice 40 column text mode and the speech.  I got as far as saving my work the 1st time which was something like 8K nearly all of it done.

This is the only issue a lot of peope have with mame, is that it updates , and select roms images and emulators no longer function.  Shame really but I guess it can be sorted out over time.

#25 mizapf ONLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,477 posts

Posted Yesterday, 7:12 AM

This is the only issue a lot of peope have with mame, is that it updates , and select roms images and emulators no longer function.  Shame really but I guess it can be sorted out over time.

You mean changes with system ROMs? But those are really, really rare. The last one was to split genmod from geneve, and of course the consolidated ROMs for TI-99/8 and TI-99/2. And, well, the ZIP cartridges with their verified ROMs. But everything is available on WHTech, all time.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users