Photo

Curious about AtariMax cartridge-based products

4 replies to this topic

#1 bfollowell OFFLINE  

bfollowell

Star Raider

• 71 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:00 AM

I've ran into some game images that I can't run on my real 800XL using my AtariMax SIO2PC-USB. One example is Star Raiders II xex files using the AtariMax Loader. I've checked all the big file repositories, at least 15 different versions (or at least different filenames), and I can't find one that will work. I'm sure I'll eventually be able to come up with an ATR that will work, but I'm wanting to run many of the original ROM images I have. Would those work better from one of the AtariMax cartridge-based products? I guess what I'm asking is, do they just allow you to have access to hundreds of files, or do they actually emulate an Atari cartridge? If they emulate an Atari cartridge, which product would I need? I see Steve has several cartridge-based products available.

#2 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Gridrunner

• 15,947 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:02 AM

Straight up 8K cartridges are the only ones that run fully from the flash ROM, though that's probably half or more of all cart games ever made.

Straight non-banked 16K will generally be loaded into Ram.  Banked carts such as many XEGS titles won't work with the legacy AtariMax flashcarts - there are modern cartridge solutions that are able to emulate most/all cartridge formats though.

Star Raiders 2 - is this the long lost version or the Last Starfighter reassigned version?  When there's issues with Xex not working it'll usually either be an OS compatibility issue or a loader problem, ie the file overwrites/corrupts the loader program or Dos.

#3 bfollowell OFFLINE  

bfollowell

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 71 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:35 AM

This is the official Star Raiders II, as released, the Last Starfighter reassigned one.

I see that I can change the memory location of the loader, in case it's an issue with the program overwriting part of the loader program. I've tried several locations, but haven't had any luck so far. Several of the xex files seem to want to start; the correct music starts playing, but the graphics are all corrupted. Some just have corrupted graphics scrolling all over the screen, with no sound, and lockup after a few seconds.

What are some of the modern cartridge solutions you mentioned? I read of THE!CART somewhere. I believe it is from Germany. That sounds like the sort of product you may have been talking about.

Thanks for your reply.

Edited by bfollowell, Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:37 AM.

#4 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 14,164 posts

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:47 AM

I tried a Star Raiders II xex by 'The Bit Cruncher' with the U1MB/SIDE XEX loader and it appears to run without issue. The SIDE loader's XEX loading module resides at $700-$AFF, so if problems exist with the AtariMax loader, it may be down to contention for the $400-$4FF area. Perhaps try relocating the loader to $700 if possible.

#5 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,945 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:22 PM

I normally just put a dos disk with the exe already on it in an image slot and run them without an issue..  don't remember an issue with the loader, I will be interesting to see what happens..

sr ii the official disk that was sold after the retrofitted it from the last starfighter.... I understand...

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users