Hardware Hackers

7 replies to this topic

#1 ewbray OFFLINE  

ewbray

Space Invader

• 23 posts
  • Ex-Helicopter Pilot

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:45 AM

In the PATIUG (Philadelphia Area Texas Instruments Users Group) we had over 125 members when we had one of the largest memberships of the PACS (Philadelphia Area Computer Society) when every third Saturday of the month it would take over the unused classrooms of LaSalle University. We used to keep all of our equipment in a locked footlocker that was kept in a secure closet by the Security Department office and every meeting two guys would fetch it and bring it to our lecture hall classroom in the science building!

Attached File  3 Sided PATIUG 02.png   60.44KB   1 downloads

The "Society" back then even had a young Bill Gates as one of its speakers, who filled the university's main auditorium with standing room only and the university even piped the video feed into all of the university's other lecture halls.

Attached File  pacsbanner-3.gif   10.74KB   1 downloads

In the PATIUG, Barry Traver (Publisher of Genial Travler Diskazine) & Michael Riccio (Myarc, Inc. contract programmer) were a couple of our software "guru(s)" and Alan Silverstein (Electrical Engineer for several national corporations) was the leader of our hardware "guru(s)".

Alan Silverstein, myself, and others would hold "hardware" sessions after the main meeting and do whatever previously arranged hardware projects {cable modifications, console video enhancements, and etc.} were scheduled.

I wrote about two (2) of my favorite hardware projects in the March 1988 issue of MICROpendium and April 1990 issue of MICROpendium. Attached File  MICROpendium Articles.pdf   892.41KB   16 downloads 

Looking back on my articles and my experience with their results, I would recommend that the March 1988 hardware hack was a "easier" job to perform and an "easier" job to correct if you ever had a failure of the voltage regulator, capacitors, or diodes; which the April 1990 modification did when I tried to perform my annual connection of my real TI equipment, just to exercise it the other day.

Some of the electrical components to our Texas Instruments hardware are rapidly becoming rare [40+ years old] and/or nearly obsolete and replacements are becoming hard to find.

Edited by ewbray, Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:47 AM.

#2 webdeck OFFLINE  

webdeck

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:02 AM

Hi - Mike Riccio here.  Wow - you just brought back a ton of memories.  

I've been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks, after I got the bug to get a retropie setup working.  Spent some time over the holidays with my kids setting it up and then teaching them how to play the old games.

I also dug up my Geneve and tried to fire it up, but it gave me a RAM error.  A lot of my old TI hardware and software hasn't survived moves and culling over the years - I think all my floppies got thrown out at some point, and I have no idea if the hard drive still works.

#3 mizapf OFFLINE  

mizapf

River Patroller

• 3,474 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:57 AM

The Geneve had most of its chips in sockets, so maybe you could try to get replacement RAMs. If all else fails, try the Geneve on MAME. :)

#4 webdeck OFFLINE  

webdeck

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:18 PM

My primary goal is to get all of the data off the hard drive, so I'll need to get the Geneve resurrected to do that.

#5 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 10,370 posts

Posted Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:42 PM

We have folks here who I bet would gladly do a hard drive recovery for you. Plenty of Geneve users too. :) (I am not one of them)

#6 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

River Patroller

• 2,316 posts

Posted Yesterday, 2:11 AM

The CPU RAM error may also occur if the regulator above the LED has failed, since it alone supplies power to all 16 DRAM chips.  If you are careful (i.e., you don't rock the card and don't short something while testing) you can check for 5 volts at the capacitors of the top-most DRAM chips. If the chips are socketed, try pressing/reseating them carefully.

For reference, there are a fair number of Geneves without socketed DRAM chips.  Those Geneves can be more stable than the socketed cards, thanks to cheap single-wipe sockets and poor contact between memory and socket. 

#7 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Dragonstomper

• 752 posts

Posted Yesterday, 6:26 AM

Hi - Mike Riccio here.  Wow - you just brought back a ton of memories.  

I've been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks, after I got the bug to get a retropie setup working.  Spent some time over the holidays with my kids setting it up and then teaching them how to play the old games.

I also dug up my Geneve and tried to fire it up, but it gave me a RAM error.  A lot of my old TI hardware and software hasn't survived moves and culling over the years - I think all my floppies got thrown out at some point, and I have no idea if the hard drive still works.

Hey Mike.  Glad to see you here.  The source code to your program My-Term is out there both in the original code you had as well as I have updated your code and now have ANSI support in the program along with it running at 38.4K.  The source code to GEME is also out there which I do not recall if I got directly from you or if it came via Lou back in the day.

If you want the latest code, etc, just let me know.

I also have a working Geneve with HFDC I would be more than willing to assist in helping you get stuff off if needed.  Just let me know.

Beery

#8 ewbray OFFLINE  

ewbray

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 23 posts
  • Ex-Helicopter Pilot

Posted Yesterday, 3:17 PM

My primary goal is to get all of the data off the hard drive, so I'll need to get the Geneve resurrected to do that.

Mike why don't you just get an old TI99/4a and get the old files off the hard drive that way. You can convert them to V9T9 format with TiDir99 https://1drv.ms/u/s!...PsOd_AXbpSajZww

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users