Black screen, no beep with boyfriend's TI

81 replies to this topic

#76 xabin ONLINE  

xabin

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 61 posts

Posted Yesterday, 5:41 PM

We don't have the tools to replace that chip, if it's soldered, but that seems to be the problem spot we're guessing, if we're getting no signal from the computer.

We just took another look at the motherboard, and the video chip has a silver bar with 2 sockets glued into place on top of it with white stuff. We dunno why, but could that be causing part of the problem? Ours is this kind of motherboard:

texas_instruments_ti99_4a-motherboard.jp

Edited by xabin, Yesterday, 6:13 PM.

#77 xabin ONLINE  

xabin

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 61 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:03 PM

One more thing: even after fixing a break in the connection to our RF modulator, when it's all plugged up and turned on, the light on the RF isn't coming on. I'm assuming that means that no signal is going through it?

#78 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,572 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Yesterday, 8:40 PM

We don't have the tools to replace that chip, if it's soldered, but that seems to be the problem spot we're guessing, if we're getting no signal from the computer.

We just took another look at the motherboard, and the video chip has a silver bar with 2 sockets glued into place on top of it with white stuff. We dunno why, but could that be causing part of the problem? Ours is this kind of motherboard:

The VDP is not soldered, so it's replaceable. :) The bar you are seeing is a heat sink, and the white stuff is heat sink compound. It's normal by now for that to be dried out, and overheated VDP chips do die. A replacement 9918A should not be too hard to come by, and you can use any modern heat sink compound on it. (Eventually the F18A replacement will be available again, which will allow an update to VGA output.)

#79 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

Quadrunner

• 5,212 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:46 PM

Definitely looking at the VDP at this point,but I also though that I would mention that Omega was very conservative in his estimate on the number of consoles some of us have. . .as I think I may have waaaay more than that, something like 50 of them. . .and that may be a serious underestimate. I may have a few spare 9918A chips lurking about that I received from one of the former TI managers a few years ago. Let me make some checks.

#80 xabin ONLINE  

xabin

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 61 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:55 PM

Definitely looking at the VDP at this point,but I also though that I would mention that Omega was very conservative in his estimate on the number of consoles some of us have. . .as I think I may have waaaay more than that, something like 50 of them. . .and that may be a serious underestimate. I may have a few spare 9918A chips lurking about that I received from one of the former TI managers a few years ago. Let me make some checks.

Okay, thanks. If you find any that work, let us know, and we can negotiate a price for them. One more question: since we don't want to haul around an old CRT, we're wondering if we can use our flatscreen for the computer's display; it's an older style Vizio with composite and cable/antenna plugins as well as the standard HDMI and whatnot.

#81 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,572 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Yesterday, 9:19 PM

Okay, thanks. If you find any that work, let us know, and we can negotiate a price for them. One more question: since we don't want to haul around an old CRT, we're wondering if we can use our flatscreen for the computer's display; it's an older style Vizio with composite and cable/antenna plugins as well as the standard HDMI and whatnot.

Yes, the TI outputs composite video and audio through the rear port - have a look here: http://atariage.com/...-1#entry3817130

If you don't want to build a cable, I think a few people here sell them.

#82 xabin ONLINE  

xabin

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 61 posts

Posted Yesterday, 9:26 PM

We bought a cable online, and we've got it sorted out, mostly, so we just need the chip and hope it works.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users