Photo

Kung Fu Combat (W.I.P) 2600 (ASM (4K for now))

7 replies to this topic

#1 easmith OFFLINE  

easmith

Chopper Commander

• 192 posts

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:00 AM

see most recent post for latest file 

ASM 4k 2 player:

Controls:

jump up                                                           up

jump forward ( in direction facing only)           diagonal UP  ( in direction facing)

punch                                                              button +forward

high kick                                                          button + diagonal UP (in direction facing)

low kick                                                           button + diagonal down ( in direction facing)

walk left                                                          left

walk right                                                        right

change facing direction                                   down    ( can only punch,kick or jump in direction facing)

scoring  :   punch = 3 , high kick or jump kick = 1, low kick = 2

TV Type color = player positions reset after score

TC type B&W  = players remain in position and keep fighting after score

kungfulabelmain.jpg

Edited by easmith, Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:17 PM.

#2 easmith OFFLINE  

easmith

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 192 posts

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:32 PM

fixed a few graphical glitches where the player colors were not correct for certain moves.   

Current file uploaded in first post

Edited by easmith, Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:32 PM.

#3 easmith OFFLINE  

easmith

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 192 posts

Posted Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:17 AM

I added the following:

-- Sound when player is hit

---  now the moves are worth different points:

punch  = 3 pts  ( you have to be close to opponent)

high kick = 2 pts

low kick = 1 pt

jump kick = 1 pt

I think I will stop now for a while .  I would appreciate feedback if anyone is able to play against someone else !

#4 easmith OFFLINE  

easmith

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 192 posts

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:14 AM

made a few more refinements.  For now calling this finished unless I hear  feedback from anyone who has a chance to play against an opponent.   

#5 Dionoid OFFLINE  

Dionoid

Chopper Commander

• 127 posts

Posted Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:11 PM

Nice, this reminds me of International Karate on the C64. This looks promising so far.

I didn't have a change to play against two players though.

A few suggestions:

- Add sound effects for kicks and punches. And a special one for if you actually hit your opponent and score a point.

- Add animation (this would make moving left/right more realistic)

- Add AI so you can play this in single player mode.

Keep up the good work!

#6 easmith OFFLINE  

easmith

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 192 posts

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:04 PM

I added some sounds for moves. Also centered the players vertically a bit more.

I also added a "fight to death mode " where the player positions do not reset after a score. This is done by setting TV type to B&W.

I was able to play against a coworker today for a bit.  I think it plays pretty well.  It was pretty fun.  It took him a minute to get the moves down , but once he did the gameplay seemed pretty good.I hope a few people will give this a chance even though it is 2 player.

I have tried to post a decent screen shot or video, but none do it justice , because the players being drawn on alternate frames.

#7 Kiwi OFFLINE  

Kiwi

Stargunner

• 1,651 posts

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:10 PM

My suggestion, you probably can switch from .dodraw to fixed height tables.  That way you can have all 4 1pixel height mobile objects with multicolor on one scanline screen without flickering.  You can use a table for the missile too. Just fill the player GRP0 GRP1 first before missiles(those usually ok.).

2 1pixel .dodraw sprites isn't possible for me, so I went 2 pixels, or 3 pixel multicolor for the sprite. A lot of game that have "place player anywhere" are usually 2 pixel high.  Those have fixed height have higher sprite resolution.

rcsample.gif

There's several kernels.  The kernel between the mountain the hole is the 2 pixel height for the 2 enemies and a missile from the player.  In the hole above the hole, is fixed height kernel.  It has multicolor background color, 1 pixel height players and missile.  I used reposition routines and hmove in the dark green part between those 2 kernals.

1 pixel with multicolor .dodraw would be possible if you're using 256 byte table for the sprite/missile image. Have image with mostly 00.  Cookie Monster I believe uses this technique.  No need to have the karate player to jump that high.  You can probably use a crane or roundhouse kick move with holding fire and up. Maybe use a short hop to dodge a sweep kick.  I think this method would work better. 

This game is looking better than the original Karate that came out for the system. Hopefully my advice will help you.  I can provide source code via PM if you want.  Good luck.

Edited by Kiwi, Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:13 PM.

#8 easmith OFFLINE  

easmith

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 192 posts

Posted Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:09 AM

I added a one player mode

set P0 difficulty to A (expert) and fight against computer

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users