IGNORED

Best Flash Cart with Mac Computer?

sixersfan105

From what I know from the info I collected, the!cart support the Mac. The side 2 states, "PC/MAC with Compact flash usb reader/writer and internet connection". My Ultimate Cart just required me to copy files to an SD card but I assume that's probable FAT. So, I'd say go for the The!Cart, which is a pretty slick thing.

But... When you have just the Mac and a flashcart and an Atari alone you will get nowhere. You'll need a sio solution to code the cart too...

You'd think for the kind of money they charge for these things ($100 shipped for the!cart), the cart would be pre-programmed and ready for a loaded flash card, sheesh!

You'd think for the kind of money they charge for these things ($100 shipped for the!cart), the cart would be pre-programmed and ready for a loaded flash card, sheesh!

I think the fun of the project is that you can load the cart with your own stuff. Next to that, I am pretty sure everybody involved does want to prevent the suggestion that they are selling software they do not own.

Hello guys

The!Cart can handle 128MB, costs € 70.

I've used 16GB SD cards with my Ultimate Cart. IIRC the Ultimate Cart cost € 35. And you can put non-Atari stuff on the SD card. Biggest advantage of using SD cards is that you can easily move them between the Atari and the Mac (or that other computer).

Sincerely

Macthy

Hello guys

The!Cart can handle 128MB, costs € 70.

I've used 16GB SD cards with my Ultimate Cart. IIRC the Ultimate Cart cost € 35. And you can put non-Atari stuff on the SD card. Biggest advantage of using SD cards is that you can easily move them between the Atari and the Mac (or that other computer).

Sincerely

Macthy

Hi Mathy,

In my collection I have them all, but my favorite is still The!Cart when it comes to multicarts. The reason is the speed. I do a lot of stuff with my a8, and although the flashing operation is of course more complicated compared to adding a few files on the SD card, the loading time (especially for bigger games) annoys me. I have my The!Cart plugged in all the time. It has SDX as the first entry. loading SDX from SD card every time is a pain, but having it right there as the first entry of The!Cart makes it start in a split second.

I could imagine for some/most people the SD card is more convenient, but to me The!Cart is the best. Next to speed, it also is slightly more compatible, it also does do ATR's ... one of my favourite games Cropky for instance, runs from an ATR on The!Cart on a stock Atari. This is a great achievement.

I hope one day they will create that USB burner for The!Cart. That would make it even more fabulous. Can't wait TBH.

Greetz

Marius

• Like 1

Hello Mr. Fish

I checked my private messages: I paid $85 + $7. No clue why I thought I paid only $35. Panos made my cartridge.

Sincerely

Mathy

the first test carts were at reduced price for first couple out to be put through paces and fixed up if problems.. no real problems, just firmware fixes.. all was good.

I think the fun of the project is that you can load the cart with your own stuff. Next to that, I am pretty sure everybody involved does want to prevent the suggestion that they are selling software they do not own.

Right, I totally get loading the cart with my own stuff, I guess I just didn't understand the process of "coding the cart." I think I pictured all of them as using SD cards, so I was confused that I would need to code the SD card and also "code the cart." Looks like I need to do more reading up on this stuff and see what my options are.

I've always been a fan of collecting and playing the actual physical cartridges, so I haven't yet dabbled in the flash/SD card cart realm.

thank you, everyone, for your responses!

So I'm considering picking up a flash cart, I.e. the! cart, uno cart, AtariMax, etc. what's the best cartridge to purchase as a Mac user?

Thanks!

Do you have any sort of SIO2PC or SIO2SD device?

Carts that work standalone (simply put files on an SD or CF card) in order of my preference:

- Ultimate Cart

- AVG Cart or Uno Cart

- Side 2

- AtariMax MyIDE II

Carts that need an SIO device or programming device in order of my preference:

- The!Cart

- AtariMax 8Mb and 1Mb

Do you have any sort of SIO2PC or SIO2SD device?

Carts that work standalone (simply put files on an SD or CF card) in order of my preference:

- Ultimate Cart

- AVG Cart or Uno Cart

- Side 2

- AtariMax MyIDE II

Carts that need an SIO device or programming device in order of my preference:

- The!Cart

- AtariMax 8Mb and 1Mb

Nope, don't have any SIO devices. Thinking an Ultimate cart may be in my future! Just hoping it plays nice with my Mac.

Nope, don't have any SIO devices. Thinking an Ultimate cart may be in my future! Just hoping it plays nice with my Mac.

Hi,

The Ultimate cart is my design and I have a mac myself. The Ultimate Cart was partially created on a Mac (well, the PCB was anyway).

Basically any computer that can read/write a FAT32 SD card (and that includes macs) will be fine for use with the Utlimate Cart. The firmware in the Ultimate Cart also hides all the extra system files that a mac writes on the SD card, so you won't see these clutter up the menu on the Atari.

The project is open source, so you could build one yourself if you have the soldering skills.

Have a look at https://github.com/robinhedwards/UltimateCart/ for details.

Otherwise, if you'd like to just buy one it is currently produced by MacRorie in the USA. His website is http://www.thebrewingacademy.com

If he is out of stock, I currently have a spare one which I could sell.

Hope this helps,

Robin

Edited by electrotrains
  • Like 3

Hi,

The Ultimate cart is my design and I have a mac myself. The Ultimate Cart was partially created on a Mac (well, the PCB was anyway).

Basically any computer that can read/write a FAT32 SD card (and that includes macs) will be fine for use with the Utlimate Cart. The firmware in the Ultimate Cart also hides all the extra system files that a mac writes on the SD card, so you won't see these clutter up the menu on the Atari.

The project is open source, so you could build one yourself if you have the soldering skills.

Have a look at https://github.com/robinhedwards/UltimateCart/ for details.

Otherwise, if you'd like to just buy one it is currently produced by MacRorie in the USA. His website is http://www.thebrewingacademy.com

If he is out of stock, I currently have a spare one which I could sell.

Hope this helps,

Robin

Hi Robin, this is very helpful! Thank you. Awesome job with this.