IGNORED

Favourite designer?

I'll be the unoriginal one with Shigeru Miyamoto. I'm old enough to deserve that call out. I got the NES out of that original run back in 1985 and with that were its two games but also Hogan's Alley and Super Mario Bros. For all the time I put in figuring that weird ROB out and lots of time improving shooting ducks and target cans and criminals it was Mario that really stood out as the long term play. I had played enough at Showbiz Pizzatime Theater and Chuck E Cheese to know how nice platformers, shooters, and other stuff was in the era. That one though opened my eyes to the true possibilities you could unlock on a home system where real time, real play, real non quarter munching fast fun could be had and the wonderment of so many new potential possibilities yet.

I had the Nintendo Fun Club Magazine as soon as it dropped due to registering the NES with NOA, and then NP until Future ruined it in the turn over. Each page, each game I could be gifted or scrape up to afford, of all of them typically it wasn't even the first party stuff but the games HE made I put the most work and imaginative thought into. Not to diminish the various types behind the Mega Man and Castlevania's of the time, or being able to take Gradius home too which was neat, but Miyamoto's work was always a great one to return to and not get bored doing it.

• Like 1

Yasumi Matsuno for his work on Vagrant Story and Ogre Battle/FF Tactics.

I second Hidetaka Miyazaki for his incredible work on Souls/Bloodborne. Those games managed to excite me more than any other modern game out there.

Both designers have a knack for epic stories and how to unfold them.

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Like 1

Dan Bunten. There never was anything quite like Robot Rascals.

And it may not count as a designer, but Nasir blew my mind when I found out he worked as programmer for the Final Fantasy franchise after making all kinds of games for the Apple II.

Edited by Newsdee

Dan Bunten. There never was anything quite like Robot Rascals.

And it may not count as a designer, but Nasir blew my mind when I found out he worked as programmer for the Final Fantasy franchise after making all kinds of games for the Apple II.

Wasn't the story with Nasir ending up at Square that he didn't have anything going on after his company folded, and he was hanging out at a show when he got talking to the Square reps, who upon realizing that he was the genius who did so much with the Apple decided to hire him? I think I read that he gets so many royalties from working on the Final Fantasy games that he's been comfortably retired for years.