IGNORED

T-REX RUNNER

Shawn

Hey All,

I took a stab at learning some Batari Basic (and tried the Visual GUI as well) and I didn't have much success or much fun trying to learn it. I spent many hours reading, going over tutorials and looking at code examples while trying to put together the means to program a 2600 rendition of the Google Chrome "no internet connection" game T-Rex Runner and I didn't get very far. Attached is the simple beginings of a title screen attached to a couple sprites. Fire makes the T-Rex go up (I never figured out how to make it go back down properly) and the other player sprite is a simple cactus that is attracted to the trex sprite which moves back to the other side of the screen after it reaches the T-Rex. I did have it going past the T-Rex at one point but as soon as I included code to move it back to the other side of the screen as well it would only go equal to the T-Rex and then go back to the other side, not actually go past it first as I intended. Pressing down moves the T-Rex down but he doesn't stop as I didn't define that either. Pressing left will take you back to the title screen. I'm attaching my 3 brainstorming sheets that are just image files with notes on them. The screen shots are mixed from before I added the title screen and after I did. For some reason I had unexpected color changes to the sprites and score after adding the title screen going from black to grey with the color fade on the score carrying over from the title screen. I think it might have been from a defined constant. Not sure. I didn't bother much with it after that. I changed the T-Rex sprite around a bit to make it look a bit better and then I called it quits. So ya, here it is. The binary are attached at the bottom. I deleted the basic file, it wasn't anything much anyhow so no real loss. This is what I was doing to move the cactus sprite horizontally at the dino sprite.

if player0x <player1x then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-1 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-2 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-3 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-4 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-5 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-6 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-7 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-8 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-9 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-10 then player1x = 138:player1y = 64

post-7107-0-84216100-1547931355.png

post-7107-0-64336800-1547931368.png

post-7107-0-61635900-1547931381.png

post-7107-0-09982700-1547931399_thumb.png

post-7107-0-90260000-1547931408.png

post-7107-0-03879500-1547931427_thumb.png

Cheers,

Shawn

TREXRUNNER.bin

• Like 2

Hey All,

I took a stab at learning some Batari Basic (and tried the Visual GUI as well) and I didn't have much success or much fun trying to learn it. I spent many hours reading, going over tutorials and looking at code examples while trying to put together the means to program a 2600 rendition of the Google Chrome "no internet connection" game T-Rex Runner and I didn't get very far. Attached is the simple beginings of a title screen attached to a couple sprites. Fire makes the T-Rex go up (I never figured out how to make it go back down properly) and the other player sprite is a simple cactus that is attracted to the trex sprite which moves back to the other side of the screen after it reaches the T-Rex. I did have it going past the T-Rex at one point but as soon as I included code to move it back to the other side of the screen as well it would only go equal to the T-Rex and then go back to the other side, not actually go past it first as I intended. Pressing down moves the T-Rex down but he doesn't stop as I didn't define that either. Pressing left will take you back to the title screen. I'm attaching my 3 brainstorming sheets that are just image files with notes on them. The screen shots are mixed from before I added the title screen and after I did. For some reason I had unexpected color changes to the sprites and score after adding the title screen going from black to grey with the color fade on the score carrying over from the title screen. I think it might have been from a defined constant. Not sure. I didn't bother much with it after that. I changed the T-Rex sprite around a bit to make it look a bit better and then I called it quits. So ya, here it is. The binary are attached at the bottom. I deleted the basic file, it wasn't anything much anyhow so no real loss. This is what I was doing to move the cactus sprite horizontally at the dino sprite.

if player0x <player1x then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-1 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-2 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-3 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-4 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-5 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-6 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-7 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-8 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-9 then player1x = player1x-1
if player1x =player0x-10 then player1x = 138:player1y = 64

Well, cool that you gave coding a shot, and sorry to hear that it didn't resonate with you. If you ever feel like trying again, there are plenty of people who will be happy to help.

For what it's worth, I believe the bit of code you posted above could be condensed into this:

if player1x = player0x-10 then player1x = 138 : player1y = 64 : goto ____end_player_check
    if player1x >= player0x then player1x = player1x-1
____end_player_check

• Like 2

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258401-trex-aka-first-attempt-at-6507/

EDIT: Oops. Didn't notice Arenafoot had already linked to this.

Never seen that before. Neat that someone else already took a poke at it. As the old saying goes, there really is nothing new under the sun. That other fellas version is pretty good. With a little more work it could be damn near perfect. No point in trying to reinvent the wheel and I sure as heck don't want to step on anyone's toes so it wouldn't make much sense to continue anyhow now that I know someone else has already on the job. I wouldn't have even bothered if I knew someone else already beat me to the punch on a decent 2600 version.

EDIT: @Karl, Thanks for your offer to lend me a hand. In the future if I change my mind I'll keep your offer in mind. Seeing you condense my 20 lines down to 2 was eye opening to say the least.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see your project get some momentium at any rate.

My thoughts are that since there's a zillion versions of Flappy Bird, Canabalt, and 2048, there ought to room for two demakes on the same platform, as long as no one feels treaded toes, as you said.

I seem to remember that two versions of Canabalt came out for the C64 at almost the same time, developed independently. Can't remember the details now but it was an amusing read.

Anyway if you continue with this, I'm still down to contribute in some way. I could envision a rad sketched-style label.

Nice to see your project get some momentium at any rate.

My thoughts are that since there's a zillion versions of Flappy Bird, Canabalt, and 2048, there ought to room for two demakes on the same platform, as long as no one feels treaded toes, as you said.

I seem to remember that two versions of Canabalt came out for the C64 at almost the same time, developed independently. Can't remember the details now but it was an amusing read.

Anyway if you continue with this, I'm still down to contribute in some way. I could envision a rad sketched-style label.

I've been considering taking another stab at it. I just have to find some time where this can be my primary focus without distraction. So it can be considered stagnant now instead of dead :)

• Like 4