I've finally gotten my blasted 3D printer working again. After days of messing about it turned out to be nothing to do with the printer but the filament I was using was old and damp - oops!
Anyway I've printed a first test of my latest version of a case for Sean Myers genuinely awesome floppy emulator and I'll upload them to Thingyverse shortly for anyone who's interested.
Print all parts in the orientation they appear in the .stl files.
Face.stl and Top.stl should be fine at about 20% infill, medium settings. They both need support, I'd suggest grid and set support roof. I'd also suggest enable ironing for both for best results and a smidge of fuzzy skin for Face.stl to give it that textured plastic look
Base.stl only needs to be reasonably strong so print however you like, but this one will also need support for the lip.
-Desolder / cut the pin-headers from the LCD module and do the same to your lovely Arduino! Also trim down the connection pins that poke up next to the LCD.
-Pull the plastic header sockets from the Arduino and desoler / cut all the pins!!!
-Take some wire (about 3-4cm long) and remake all the connections between the two
-You may also need to butcher your microSD board and directly solder that to the Arduino if space is limited - wires about 5-6cm
-Solder in the resistors and wires for the ADAM Net connector, long enough to reach from the front to the back of the Arduino. 6 Pin RJ11 connectors can be bought for buttons on eBay, just be sure you bend the pins flat and solder carefully being sure not to add height to the connector (it gets sandwiched between Arduino and the case top.
Why such butchery?
1) The LCD panel doesn't sit in the right place to be able to make a nice ADAM FDD box so to move it requires wire connections.
2) I've tried to make this box as small as possible to save on print time - it's still about a 3-6 hour print depending on settings / printer
At this point I also de-soldered the tact-switches from the LCD module and replaced them with taller 8mm ones. Again buttons on eBay. This was to allow them to poke through the shell - it's no good if you can't operate the darn thing...
...another option is to get some (small) tact-switch tops and push them through the holes in the case before installing the module - it work's fine but is frustratingly fiddly to keep them in place.
-Take your RJ11 connector on it's flying leads and push that though it's mounting hole in the top shell of the case. You'll notice it's legs will engage with the case with a bit of fiddling.
-Carefully, but firmly push your LCD / Arduino sandwich in to the main case taking care to line up the tact-switches. With a bit of pressure the edges of the main LCD PCB will snap in to the walls of the case.
-Carefully push down on the Arduino PCB so that it's power and USB sockets line up with the holes in the back. You'll note the RJ11 socket fits between and is now held firmly by the case and the Arduino.
-Slide the base into the top, being careful not to snag anything and keeping the microSD adaptor dangling on it's wires out the front. The front lip of the base has a couple of tabs to engage the Arduino and so hold that firmly in place too.
Now comes the somewhat messy bit:
I couldn't think of a 'snap together' solution for the microSD adaptor in the space I'd left for myself.
-Take your faceplate and push the microSD adaptor fully in to it's slot and glue it in place - sorry!
-The faceplate can then be, carefully, pushed over the open end of the case and should also snap in to place. ...There should be room for the microSD board to fit between the LCD module and Arduino but be careful not to snag any wires.
And it's all together - phew!
Below are some piccies of my first trial assembly. It's a bit wonky because the microSD board wasn't glued at that point. I hope it's of use to someone and the assembly process hasn't put people off!
Yes, I printed it with wood filament as that was the closest match I had to the ADAM (not close!) It seems beige printer filament is really, really expensive. When I've had a chance to play I'll probably sand / paint / print some stickers to finish the job, as per my mock-up further up this thread.
I've left holes in the face plate for power and activity LED's
Once again my sincere thanks to Sean Myers for this awesome project and for be generous to share. It's made a huge difference to my enjoyment of my ADAM.
If Sean is looking for suggestions:
-At present the virtual floppy drive is always blank on power-up. It would be nice if at power-up the last image mounted was still present.
-There are minimal Arduino Mega compatible boards to be found on eBay. I'm tempted to see if I can use one to make a smaller / easier to assemble spin on the above case using one. Of course if Sean was to do that officially that would be great for published user options, and save me burning through too many precious brain cells.
Right, I'll stop clogging up this thread with my nonsense and go back in to my hole... at least until I have something useful of my own to share (80 col card if I can sus-out those fuzzy schematics - I just need to be sure I've got the slots pin-out correct)