IGNORED

HSC16 Round 1: Space Fortress Omega

@TRBB not that it does matter, but I also posted a 7220 score. Perhaps you can change that in the standings list. See here:

@Power Up

Oh that is SO great. Thanks. (Am I right that the shield does not protect against collision with the rock/playfield?)

We'll play for ranking so the score will count for your best ranking go.

Yes the shield is for the aliens, if I remember right and it does destroy them upon contact (perhaps that was on trainee) then you can keep a chain of power ups going as they are quite freqent. On level 2 the shied is really useful as the alien weaponry is deadly.

@jb play on trainee first :thumbsup:

This game is really, REALLY great! It has a pretty steep learning curve, but man, how much fun do I have with it. Not much progress yet, but I am getting further. Really nice.

I still would have some suggestions, but I understand no free ram left, but no suggestions then ;) anyway: this is one of the other benefits of the HSC... Usually I would not try and try and try again, but now I keep trying, I really started appreciating this game. Space Fortress Omega is pretty cool. Can't wait to continue (I had to leave the house, so the atari is left on in PAUSE mode..)

One thing though:

It happens quite some time that when I die and the return screen is there again, pressing FIRE button does not restart the game but results in a black screen. I have to reboot then.

Other people have same issue?

• Like 1

Keep the suggestions coming, for SFO2!!. I've not left it paused for a long time so will try that after playing again later. Still tweaking SKI-IT v1.3 :-o

Will start the poll for Round 2 in a couple of days :)

Ok... I would hide surprises under those tiny blocks you shoot... like:

Perhaps a 10 seconds shield for everything (also collision with rocks). Perhaps a weapon that can explode everything on the skreen? Perhaps a hidden missile to collect or drops of energy (if needed). Perhaps a hidden character for E X T R A. Perhaps extra life. (Please do not add surprises that are NOT GOOD, that is always stupid, especially in games that are already too hard).

What also would be EXTREMELY COOL if your spaceship also could flaw backwards. And perhaps you could built in some puzzle ... you could shoot switches which would open a door further in the playfield (or close).

Also a continue where you died (with only the score reset) ... so you keep the targets and the status you achieved, but your score is reset.

Perhaps you could save RAM by making the mazes load from disk. This will give you more room for the game engine.

This game has serious potential. Fabulous game!

• Like 1

:thumbsup:

Had a couple more goes on Pilot. 23,230 "Star Cadet Class 1" reached the third level with mission completed (0 targets left) on the first two levels. I'd forgotten about some of the features so that was nice. The difficulty increase is not too much of a shock, I think with a lot of play someone might complete this! A lot of it is down to being patient and looking ahead at the obstacles to gauge things, if you lose a man then switch to a different route if it looks easier or has missiles etc. The Black Mamba (ship) is pretty manoeuvrable so you can get in and out to collect or shoot reactors.

post-19705-0-79209200-1548781904.jpgpost-19705-0-30479500-1548781912.jpg

• Like 3

Latest Tables

Pilot
trbb 23,230 Star Cadet - Class 1
graywest 20,700 Space Cruiser - Class 1
McKong 11,320 Space Cruiser - Class 1
Marius 6,380 Space Traveller - Class 1
carlsson 5,400 Space Lobster - Class 1
RedThunder 2,850 Lost In Space - Class 1
jblenkle 2,600 Space Lobster - Class 1
Sikor 1,580 Lost In Space - Class 1

Trainee
carlsson 6,550 Galactic Hitchhiker - Class 1
Sikor 2,370 Galactic Hitchhiker - Class 1

Ace
trbb 11,520 Space Traveller - Class 2
Sikor 1,760 Space Lobster - Class 1

Reminder this round runs until Thursday 7th Feb - still time to join in EVERYONE

The Round 2 Poll is OPEN for your votes :)

• Like 1

Wow! I managed to miss the entire first round!

This game is HARD! I got time to play for about 30 mins, played on Pilot and only got about 600 points :/

Report card... must try harder!

Edited by Mr Robot
  • Like 1

Wow! I managed to miss the entire first round!

This game is HARD! I got time to play for about 30 mins, played on Pilot and only got about 600 points :/

Report card... must try harder!

Try on Trainee to get the hang of things - it will take a few goes and the levels are short.

Plenty of time left as we're playing this one until Thu 7th Feb :)

10180 points, still SPACE TRAVELLER, Class 1.

post-3114-0-01537800-1549065562_thumb.jpg

One other suggestion: when you finally make it so far that you get all the targets, IMHO the level should be finished. It is really some achievement to finally get them all, and it is slightly demotivating (if not even frustrating) that the level is then still not finished. It is also not entirely clear to the player what is supposed to do to get the level finished. At least this is how I feel it.

I really was curious what would happen if I (finally) was able to get all the needed targets, and now I feel 'bamboozled' since I still do not know.

• Like 2

10180 points, still SPACE TRAVELLER, Class 1.

One other suggestion: when you finally make it so far that you get all the targets, IMHO the level should be finished. It is really some achievement to finally get them all, and it is slightly demotivating (if not even frustrating) that the level is then still not finished. It is also not entirely clear to the player what is supposed to do to get the level finished. At least this is how I feel it.

I really was curious what would happen if I (finally) was able to get all the needed targets, and now I feel 'bamboozled' since I still do not know.

:thumbsup:

Key part of the game (and first part of the manual "your objective...") is that you have to get to the end (leave the space fortress back into space) with all the required targets "generators repaired", having one extra added if you crash on the final sector introduces some tactics / intreague to the game as you can choose to leave targets behind incase you do crash or go for more points for the score multiplier of repairing more in a life. Your "class" is determined by successfully completing a level with all targets done. If you look at it the other way you can still complete a level even without being 100% successful.

Sure it's a bit different ;)

Pilot, unfortunately I can´t really read the scores first digit...

Sleepy

That blob things would be a 4 ! It's shown again on the scroller :)

Perhaps I missed it in the documentation or in the thread... but when you have 00 targets left, and you lose a life, your targets number is increased with 1. Is this a feature or a bug?

Yes a feature - see post #68 above :)

Reminder this round runs until Thursday 7th Feb - still time to join in EVERYONE

We now have 10 players posting scores but with 49 downloads there are a few more out there; don't be shy folks :thumbsup:

Interestingly carlsson is now ahead of Marius by ranking despite a lower score, both having completed the first level! I'll not put any HSC points on until the end of the round as I might change things this season :)

Latest Tables

Pilot
trbb 23,230 Star Cadet - Class 1
graywest 20,700 Space Cruiser - Class 1
McKong 11,320 Space Cruiser - Class 1
carlsson 8,710 Space Cruiser - Class 1
Marius 11,600 Space Traveller - Class 1
Sleepy 4,960 Space Lobster - Class 1
RedThunder 2,850 Lost In Space - Class 1
jblenkle 2,600 Space Lobster - Class 1
Sikor 1,580 Lost In Space - Class 1
Mr Robot 600 Lost In Space - Class 1

Trainee
carlsson 6,550 Galactic Hitchhiker - Class 1
Sikor 2,370 Galactic Hitchhiker - Class 1

Ace
trbb 11,520 Space Traveller - Class 2
Sikor 1,760 Space Lobster - Class 1

• Like 2