IGNORED

AtGames 2019 speculation thread

Last year someone recycled the 2017 into 2018 list for the AtGames products, and it's already 3 weeks into this year without so I'll do it this time.

Bill said in response that much of what happened last year is looking to happen again this year with their product lines and that details would pop when they are ready.

So we got to wonder what all can or will happen. Does the whole cloud over Sega part and we see another HD console this year? Perhaps finally the handheld device gets a proper core too? Maybe Coleco and Intellivision could happen yet again or another unknown maker wants a come back. Maybe another run of the Blast! devices were popular enough to justify another run or a new set of them from the same suspects or more? Also there's that arcade cabinet of sorts and more coming on that front as something new this year too I recall.

Have fun, another year, could be a fun ride, more of the same, or a mix of the two?

Here's an idea. Since they do this with plug and plays all the time, how about an Atari plug and play with all 30-some light gun games on it from the 2600, 7800 and 8-bit, with an actually precise and accurate LCD/plasma compatible light-gun. Use a camera or one of those IR sensors the plug and plays have.

• Like 4

I would like to see an Atari arcade product. The 2600 has been done to death and the top Atari properties are best on arcade hardware.

The issue I see is those games require proper controllers and that gets expensive.

But I can't wait to see if they release another 2600 with Fun With Numbers and Basic Math.

But all joking aside, they should do a "final" flashback with proper paddle support and sd-card support. Essentially a modern VCS. Just re-release it every year.

• Like 3

Sure I'll throw in my 2 cents, why not:

Limit 2600 titles and add 5200 and 7800 titles

An updated as possible Stella out of the box

PADDLES PADDLES PADDLES - if you aren't going to sell paddles and force people to have to McGyver their own, don't bother putting paddle games on the unit.

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 5

You know I like that light gun idea, but it got me thinking another direction. Every few years they take their very solidly working emulator package handheld for the game gear and master system and re-release it in another box and handheld with a color change to it.

How about a SMS/GG home console, and one that may even support the IR way of a light gun as there were quite a few really nice gun games from Sega in that era. It would be really sweet to see a pocket sized little molded SMS box with a controller setup like the HD Genesis received and a cart port up top that could take real, bootleg, or everdrive like carts as well. There is a lot of potential there, even if the SMS got swamped the GG started to really gain a solid chunk of ground and releases as for some the GB being non-color got tiresome until they saved it from death with Pokemon.

I could just make it easy and throw out, is the handheld I ask about each year finally going to happen, but I'm equally curious if a new push for the 8bit Sega stuff could happen.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you won't be able to play 5200 & 7800 titles on Stella. I'm not sure they would put multiple emulators on the FB. It seems trouble enough for them to do one.

• Like 1

In response to us doing more with Intellivision and ColecoVision stuff, I consider the former unlikely as it's my understanding (without any direct confirmation) they want to focus exclusively on Amico. We still have a relationship with the ColecoVision rights holders and it's likely we'll see something leveraging those assets in the future, although not necessarily dedicated hardware.

In regards to the portable suggestions/requests and paddle functionality of some type, it's something I know we'll be looking into again. Whether that translates into definitive action is always up to a variety of factors.

As for the light gun thing, there are various ways to make it easily workable on modern TVs, obviously, but I don't see us going down that road for the foreseeable future. At best, that might be explored in 2020. We have a lot planned for 2019 already, including our big push with the home arcade machine, which continues to impress those of us behind the scenes and at retailer previews.

• Like 6

I agree. It would be nice to see some 5200 and/or 7800 titles incorporated into some kind of package.

Sure I'll throw in my 2 cents, why not:

PADDLES PADDLES PADDLES - if you aren't going to sell paddles and force people to have to McGyver their own, don't bother putting paddle games on the unit.

I agree. It would be nice to see some 5200 and/or 7800 titles incorporated into some kind of package.

We do talk about 7800 stuff occasionally, but it's a similar issue with the other Atari platforms -- not much there to license and the platform itself is largely unknown. The positive there is that we really only have to add a second action button, so it's definitely in the realm of possibility. It's actually too bad Stella doesn't also do 7800, because then it would likely already be in the planning.

As can be seen with the 5200 collection on Atari Flashback Classics vol 3. and Atari Flashback Classics Switch, it's not easy to implement 5200 games because of the oddball controller and keypad. There's really no incentive to re-engineer a 5200 controller just to play those 5200 games that are available (all of that are present on those two collections). As such, I don't consider that a viable option.

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply Bill. I appreciate it. I understand regarding the 5200. Besides, it seems to the be the perpetual whipping boy for gaming consoles gone wrong/bad. However, it is too bad that Stella doesn't already incorporate the 7800. Still, I think people would like to see packages that offer something in addition to 2600 games, such as Atari arcade and/or 7800 titles. But, I can also understand if there are issues/problems with there not being too much to license and/or if the platform itself would have a high enough support level. That all being said, we all are hopeful for better, greatly improved, and/or new products.

We do talk about 7800 stuff occasionally, but it's a similar issue with the other Atari platforms -- not much there to license and the platform itself is largely unknown. The positive there is that we really only have to add a second action button, so it's definitely in the realm of possibility. It's actually too bad Stella doesn't also do 7800, because then it would likely already be in the planning.

As can be seen with the 5200 collection on Atari Flashback Classics vol 3. and Atari Flashback Classics Switch, it's not easy to implement 5200 games because of the oddball controller and keypad. There's really no incentive to re-engineer a 5200 controller just to play those 5200 games that are available (all of that are present on those two collections). As such, I don't consider that a viable option.

It's actually too bad Stella doesn't also do 7800, because then it would likely already be in the planning.

We've come to the conclusion long ago that it is enough work to accurately emulate one system with the limited manpower we have. And even with 3 developers now working on Stella, the issue list is still almost 100 items long and the TIA emulation still isn't 100% complete (although it is very close).

Long story short, I don't foresee 7800 support ever being added to Stella. Especially when there are other projects that fulfil that purpose very well already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to see one last Colecovision and Intellivision Flashback consoles that support ROMs on SD cards. The reason why I've started buying AtGames' Flashback offerings now are because, (A) they're at a level of quality that I find acceptable and (B) they offer a gaming experience with the original controller designs.

If AtGames doesn't want to release either of those Flashback systems, it would be nice of they produced USB versions of those controllers that could work on a computer/tablet. But I know I'm in the minority in wanting that.

Is there still a new compilation in the works for this year?

I believe you alluded a few months back to an arcade collection that might venture into fresh territory and assemble games from multiple publishers (Presumably, smaller publishers rather than your coinop videogame giants like Atari and Namco). Lots of good candidates out there like Berzerk (Stern) and Pepper II (Exidy) that have never made it out on past arcade collections.

Perhaps Gorf would even stand a chance now that they're licensing Namco and Taito content, and presumably are at least attempting to negotiate with Warner for some Williams/Midway/Atari Corp arcade classics for their upcoming arcade cabinet. Would be something I certainly hope they'd consider attempting to clear if they ever manage to secure a licensing agreement with Warner.

Edited by Atariboy

Will there be annual iterations of the Legends Flashback Boom? 50 great games to start, then the latest firmware upgrade made GEN, NES, SEGA CD, MAME 2000, etc. playable through SD card.

It's a fantastic value and IMO gives the Super RetroCade a run for its money, especially considering you can play with Genesis controllers. The most common suggestion I've seen here is having PNG images go with the games on the SD card.

Then maybe the Legends would be like the Atari FB is, where each year has a slightly different game lineup.

• Like 1

Can anything at this time be said for Sega considering all the strange press rumor mill trying to giggle about atgames being thrown under the bus for their own mega drive/genesis device for this year? I'm curious if there will be another HD system, if the handheld will ever be revised properly, or perhaps if the SMS/GG will get revisited in some form as I really do like that handheld I have for it.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you won't be able to play 5200 & 7800 titles on Stella. I'm not sure they would put multiple emulators on the FB. It seems trouble enough for them to do one.

Oh I realize they'd need multiple emulators. I didn't think that in and of itself would be an issue. The two points you quoted were meant to be separate points. I should have been clearer on that I suppose.

The most recent Stella manageable would be an obvious desire. Maybe look at licensing more Homebrews (and even demos) that make use of the emulated special chips.

A way to get at the TIA sound might be interesting to some people. The 2600 has a distinctive soundscape. (Maybe add a headphone jack to the Flashback, to make that access easier and also assist with quiet gaming.)

The paddle issue was a bit of a failure. I assume it was a supply chain problem. It isnt hugely difficult to modify the older paddles, but it is not something many customers would be interested in doing. (On the other hand, I guess that opens up an avenue for the custom joystick builders. Atgames screwup can be their gain.)

• Like 1

Assuming you modify the paddles how well do they work for Kaboom?

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

I modified my FB4 paddles and they work very well considering paddles don't work at all on FB9. I'm not great at any of these games, but on Kaboom, I can score close to 2000 points (on joystick, barely above 500), and on Astroblast from the SD card about 4000 points. No noticeable lag as far as I'm concerned - certainly not like the mushy lag on FB8 and FB4.

It's not store-bought perfect (depending on the quality and torque of the potentiometers you get), but spending $8 dollars and 2 hours making non-working paddles function with the FB9 is fine with me until new paddles arrive on the scene.

• Like 2

I modified my FB4 paddles and they work very well considering paddles don't work at all on FB9. I'm not great at any of these games, but on Kaboom, I can score close to 2000 points (on joystick, barely above 500), and on Astroblast from the SD card about 4000 points. No noticeable lag as far as I'm concerned - certainly not like the mushy lag on FB8 and FB4.

It's not store-bought perfect (depending on the quality and torque of the potentiometers you get), but spending $8 dollars and 2 hours making non-working paddles function with the FB9 is fine with me until new paddles arrive on the scene.

Will the modified paddles still work with an older flashback or original consoles?

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

Will the modified paddles still work with an older flashback or original consoles?

No, I don't think so. It's my understanding that FB9 requires a different voltage from the paddles than the previous consoles, which is why none of the older paddles work. Changing the controller potentiometer corrects this for FB9, but it will be putting out a different voltage than what the original hardware uses.

Edited by radiohead