IGNORED

Feedback needed for game - Snowball Fight

Captain Spazer

WIP of my project, it's nearing completion and it might have some glitches, would appreciate feedback.

FEATURES:

4 premade levels, press right on the joystick to scroll, after those 4 the level editor comes, here you can make your own level together with player 2, both of you build together until the timer runs out, shown by a bar in the lower left corner. After the level editor comes the level randomizer, this creates a random level for you, I have not decided whether to keep it.

Press the fire button to throw a snowball, if the snowball hits a snow wall the snow wall is destroyed.

Bouncy collision detection when running into the snow walls, I haven't mastered smooth collision detection yet

If you are hit by a snowball you lose 1 life

---------------------------------------------------

MISSING FEATURES:

Ending the game after a player looses all lives.

Sound

Bigger snowballs, I haven't figured out how to calculate for bigger missiles collision detection with the playfield yet

Unavngivet.png

DOWNLOAD - Snowball Fight.bin

• Like 3

That is a sloppy bug that allows you to knock walls down as you move over them. I will fix it in the next update. I also noticed a bug with player2 getting stuck in the throwing animation and being unable to move, that will be fixed in the next version too. I will see what I can do about the shots.

Any bugs in the map editor?

If I hit the other player and just continue to hold the fire button down I clobber them when they respawn. So, bam, bam, bam, game over. You may want to randomize the location where the defeated player is respawned or keep the other player from firing until the defeated player is respawned. Are you supposed to be able to go on the other players side of the screen in the editor?

I like the idea of a playfield editor, but it is kind of klunky as is. You might want to debounce the fire button so the player can't just hold it down. Make them hit fire each time they place something. Makes it easier to get the layout you want. If you walk around with the fire button pressed at the moment, you get all kinds of unintended designs. Sometimes on the wrong side of the screen. If it were me, I'd lock the players to their side of the screen in the editor. I don't want the other guy coming over messing up my great design. :)

I think a snow effect would work. Below is a link to RevEng Starfield effect to simulate the effect. I was able to do half screen as well where I tinker around with effect and have the player slide around.

RevEng link.

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=523543

My stuff is in the bottom of RevEng post. I did get mines to work half a screen snow and ice sliding if your interested in the .bas or .text file.

Hope this helps with your game

• Like 1

UPDATE

Player 1 and 2 can shoot diagonal.

Map editor is now much easier to build on, and the players are limited to their sides of the map, no more ruining the other persons forts!

Fixed glitch with player 2 animation error.

Added random respawn location when hit.

Added victory screen for player 1 and 2

Sound effect when getting hit by snowball

Press reset switch to end the victory screen

Missing features

Collision detection with walls, I haven't figured out smooth collision yet, if you walk over walls, they are destroyed.

Melody on winning screen

Better transition to winning screen

Snowball fight - better then ever.bin

Edited by Captain Spazer

I hammered out all the bugs now. But I ran out of space, so I added in 8k, I need to learn how to add bank2 so I can begin putting in the "starfield"

Bugfree version release comes when I've prettied it up a bit

I put the starfield in my map2, and changed it to be the ball instead of missile0, but it doesnt work right, all I get is the ball staying in the top part of the screen, following player0, any idea what I did wrong?

dim frame=m
 dim effect=n

main

gosub __Snowbank bank2

drawscreen

goto main

bank 2
__Snowbank

frame=frame+1
  if frame=0 then effect=effect+1
  if effect>6 then effect=0

ENAM0=2 : rem ** set ENAM0=0 when you want the stars to be gone

rem ** no adjustment leaves the stars in place
  if effect=0 then score=0

rem ** Adjusting missile0x by +1 or -1 moves the stars right or left
  if effect=1 then ballx=ballx-1:score=1

rem ** +8 or -8 moves the stars diagonally, and displays them closer together
  if effect=2 then ballx=ballx-8:score=8

rem ** +16 or -16 moves them diagonally, and displays them farther apart 
  if effect=3 then ballx=ballx+16:score=16

rem ** +12 or -12 is quick and nearly vertical
  if effect=4 then ballx=ballx-12:score=12

rem ** +48 or -48 is a slow diagonal effect
  if effect=5 then ballx=ballx-48:score=48

rem ** +48 or -48 is a slow diagonal effect
  if effect=6 then ballx=ballx+32:score=32

rem ** You need to ensure the missile0x position ranges from 0-159. 
  rem ** If missile0x is 0 and decreases, then set it to 159. 
  rem ** If missile0x is 159 and increases, set it to 0.
  if ballx>200 then ballx=ballx+160
  if ballx>159 then ballx=ballx-160

vblank
  rem ** Enable the TIA bug that causes missile0 to be repeated
  asm
 sta HMCLR
 sta WSYNC
 lda #$ff
 sta HMBL
 lda #$c0
 sta WSYNC
 sta HMOVE
 sleep 5
 sta HMBL
end
  return

drawscreen

return
Edited by Captain Spazer

Thanks to Karl G I got the starfield in, so now I can make snowstorms.

Here is the latest version that works almost perfectly, only glitch is a small red line in the top part of the screen, everything else should be flawless, the snowstorm is totally random at the moment but I will make adjustments in the next version:

Snowball Fight - Primitive snowstorm.bin

The bottom part of the screen won't let you shoot. Maybe my Stella via my cell phone. Maybe you can add sliding like you were on ice. I will edit this post later with the Ics Sliding program snippet.

Looks good so far. I see it 2 player any way to make it 1 player. I know AI is difficult at times. I even struggle with with. Good game, simple and fun. Someone else said it's like Combat but with some extras. Maybe a DPC version as well could be made with more extras?

It's a bug, thank you for the report, I'dd add it to the list of things to fix. I will also change the colors a bit to make the snowstorm pop more, and move the players behind the snow.

I've been thinking of using DPC, but it seems daunting. I don't know how hard it is to stick a none dpc project into it and continue to work, I'll look more into it.

I don't know if I'll add AI for singleplayer, maybe, I'll save that for last

Captain Spazer,

you can use constants as well but they have a set value meaning if you assign 1 then its 1. Good news is that you can have up to 500 constants.

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#const

const _c_MyConst = 200
const _c_Monster_Height = $12

A constant is a special type of variable that cannot be changed while a program is running. To declare a constant in batari Basic, use the const command. const declares a constant value for use within a program. This improves readability in a program in the case where a value is used several times but will not change, or you want to try different values in a program but don't want to change your code in several places first.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be featuring Snowball Fight LIVE on today's ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT|2PM ET|7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games Today:

- Kaboom! Deluxe (2019 WIP Hack) by Darrell Spice Jr.
- Moth (2006) by Simone Serra aka Seemo
- Snowball Fight (2019 WIP) by Captain Spazer
- Risky Rick (2018 CV) by ArcadeVision

EDIT: Updated with video!

Edited by cimmerian
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...