IGNORED

Gridrunner Controls and Strategy

Rick Dangerous

Se we had Gridrunner in the HSC recently and I really enjoyed playing it and want to bump up my score. I think i hit 63k or so recently.

Since the game was an easter egg and not in the manual, the controls and "tips" aren't in there like for the other games which makes that a little harder.

I reached out to CJ RE controls:

a/b are the shooty things

c

pause

#

As far as I can tell:

a-holding locks secondary ship/shoots, pressing brings it toward you from wherever it is on the map

b-Shoots

c-Superzapper type weapon, turns all ships on screen into bonus llamas, but I think costs you one life

pause- pauses game

#-back to game

*-restart

And for strategy:

-Watch for ships coming from the bottom of the screen, you can see their outline before they pop up usually

-Collect bonus llamas when you see them for extra points

-Avoid lazer hits from roving mechs on top/side of screens

-Shoot ship trains when they are turning to take them all out at once (a la Centipede)

I noticed near the end of the second level a missile shoots up from the bottom of the screen and kills you. Is there any way to avoid this? I'm usually pretty short on lives by then and it's ended my game twice now. Any thoughts on this or any other Gridrunner strategy would be much appreciated.

Great game and thanks again to all those involved!

• Like 3

Regarding the missile from the bottom; once you have beaten all the enemies and it goes quiet, just move from one side to the other slowly and it will miss you. (I play it with a mouse)

Nice!! Thank you! Will give it a try tonight.

Is anyone selling the jag to mouse adapters currently?

Anyone able to explain the HUD?

The score is obvious, but the think on the left and in the middle? I though either of them might be ships or levels, but neither seem to correlate as far as I can tell.

As far as I know the only way to tell how many ships you have left is when you are blown up; the screen says You have: 2 ships left, etc.

Thanks!

post-38373-0-87331000-1548706372_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah here we go:

https://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1191

Need to pick that up soon (Mouse adaptor)

Edited by travistouchdown

Okay so the little square on the left should theoretically be remaining ships...but it is very cryptic...lol. I couldn't ascertain how many ships I had left.....but i'll have to take another look again tonight.

Is there a way to purposefully increase your multiplier (by collecting or shooting something) or does it just sort of happen?

• 3 weeks later...

Being as I am totally nuts about Super Gridrunner on the Atari ST. I could tell you what the symbol on the lower left was for.

Seeing as I don't own a copy of Super Gridrunner on the Jaguar (sorry but I havn't been able to afford it, yet - postage and possible import charges as well) and not wanting to upset anybody I don't want to mention it, sorry as I don't know if it applies to the Jaguar version. Hopefully it does. It increases your chances quite a bit. If anyone knows what I am talking about I think the pro controller would be ideal for this feature!

I want to play Super Gridrunner with a Joystick/Joypad anyway so playing on a Jaguar sounds good even though it was designed to be played with a mouse and keyboard. I did use to play it a lot on my Atari ST. and since on a Atari ST emulator. I still have not finished it, though. I tried setting it up once on an Atari ST emulator and using a program called "JoyToKey" that converted Gamepad input to mouse movement. The ship controlled great but the mechanic of pulling the other half of the ship towards you did not work and I could not get my head around getting it to work properly.

B.T.W. There is a cheat code in the original Super Gridrunner but you have to type it in on the keyboard, so....