Text Minikernel

95 replies to this topic

#76 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 792 posts

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:45 PM

I need a bit more detail than that before I can make a guess. Also, does either removing the minikernel or the pflines setting reverse the problem?

#77 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

Bit Player

• 5,173 posts

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:52 PM

I think you just need to clear the VDELP# registers after the minikernel.

#78 KevKelley OFFLINE  

KevKelley

Chopper Commander

• 196 posts
  • Lots of hobbies, little time, loads of fun.

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:18 PM

I kind of want to try using this somehow. It looks awesome.

#79 EvoMikeUK OFFLINE  

EvoMikeUK

Star Raider

• 85 posts

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:24 PM

How do I clear the VDELP registers please?

Karl, the last build before introducing the mini kernel had perfect line ups.

#80 EvoMikeUK OFFLINE  

EvoMikeUK

Star Raider

• 85 posts

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:24 PM

Kev, this Kernels a game changer for sure.

#81 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

Bit Player

• 5,173 posts

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:28 PM

How do I clear the VDELP registers please?

My comment was more for Karl, but if you want to check the theory out add this before your drawscreen...
" VDELP0=0:VDELP1=0"

#82 EvoMikeUK OFFLINE  

EvoMikeUK

Star Raider

• 85 posts

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:42 PM

Yes, that sorted the problem out. Well done!

#83 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 792 posts

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:02 PM

I think you just need to clear the VDELP# registers after the minikernel.

D'oh! Thanks. 

I'll upload a new version tomorrow that has this fix as well as the centering when score is disabled change. 

#84 RevEng OFFLINE  

RevEng

Bit Player

• 5,173 posts

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:43 PM

D'oh! Thanks.

You're welcome. It's was an easy oversight, seeing as the score code was clearing the registers, when the score was actually used.

#85 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 792 posts

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:21 AM

Version 0.7 is up.  This includes:

• Fix for sprites not lining-up
  • Better text centering when score is disabled

At this point, I believe the minikernel is feature-complete, with the exception of the incompatibility with the Multisprite kernel.  I do want to support the Multisprite kernel, so I will look into this next.

#86 EvoMikeUK OFFLINE  

EvoMikeUK

Star Raider

• 85 posts

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:54 AM

I shall test and report back later :-) great work!

#87 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 792 posts

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:43 AM

Good news on the Multisprite kernel front.  Much to my own surprise, I was able to find and fix the noscore bug in the Multisprite kernel, which allowed the text kernel to work after I changed one of the variables.

I still am seeing it go over lines when I'm switching sprites in RT's 9 object demo, but it's looking more likely that I'll be able to get it to work now.

9objtxt.bas.png

#88 EvoMikeUK OFFLINE  

EvoMikeUK

Star Raider

• 85 posts

Posted Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:53 PM

Latest version nice and stable :)

#89 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 792 posts

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:48 AM

Version 0.8 is up.  This version adds multisprite kernel support, and the documentation has been updated accordingly.  I noticed that the contents of the DPCplus directory didn't make it into the zip file for the last release, but this has also been corrected.  There are no changes to the support for the standard kernel or the DPC+ kernel since the last release.

#90 EvoMikeUK OFFLINE  

EvoMikeUK

Star Raider

• 85 posts

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:45 AM

Is there a difference in size etc if using an earlier build for just standard Kernel? Thank you.

#91 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 792 posts

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:48 AM

Is there a difference in size etc if using an earlier build for just standard Kernel? Thank you.

There are no changes for the standard kernel or the DPC+ kernel since the last release.

#92 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 792 posts

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:48 PM

Version 0.9 is up.  This is only an extremely minor update for all kernels that adds one more symbol (pound sign, which uses the _po label, or, alternately _ht).  Basically I miscalculated how many glyphs I could have with this before, and was able to add one more.  If you don't have a need to use the extra symbol, then there's no reason to upgrade.

#93 Lewis2907 OFFLINE  

Lewis2907

Moonsweeper

• 324 posts

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:21 AM

Karl,

I'm still a novice at this. How do I make the inline text12DPCplus.asm included with the .bin. I could never quite figure out how to accomplish that so basically I abandoned doing this to include the Title Screen Kernel. I'm trying to make it where when I or some downloads it on their phone they can play the game. Also the pdf was very helpful. I did strip down the DPC to make it user friendly for us beginners. Thanks for helping me with this.

***edit***

Never mind I answered my own question. I'm guessing the .asm was included in the .bin when I uploaded. I thought I had to do something special or extra to make it work. 

Attached Files

Edited by Lewis2907, Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:23 AM.

#94 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,956 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:30 PM

The PDF says "The user will need to dim a variable for the TextColor variable" but I don't see a dim for TextColor in the example program.

Troubleshooting

If you get a bunch of label mismatch errors when compiling, you're out of room. You may need to add more banks.

#95 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 792 posts

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:22 AM

Good catch on the TextColor - that is already allocated by the minikernel.  I meant to say TextCounter.  I have an extremely minor update to the minikernel coming soon, so I'll make that change there.

For the label mismatch error, do you happen to still have any code that will trigger it?  It doesn't make sense to me that that error would happen if you are out of space.

#96 Random Terrain OFFLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,956 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:44 AM

For the label mismatch error, do you happen to still have any code that will trigger it?  It doesn't make sense to me that that error would happen if you are out of space.

I had an 8k SC program, added the text minikernel, then got a ton of label mismatch errors. I couldn't find anything wrong, but after re-reading that the text minikernel weighs in at a whopping 1200 bytes, I figured that must be the problem because I had far less than 1200 bytes free in bank 2 before I added the text minikernel. I moved to 16k and the errors immediately vanished because the text minikernel had enough room.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users