Photo

Another unreleased CV game found and preserved!

colecovision prototype unreleased

260 replies to this topic

#251 Mike Harris OFFLINE  

Mike Harris

Chopper Commander

• 246 posts

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2019 9:55 AM

When I was a young boy, I remember going on a school trip to Ottawa, where we visited some kind of technology museum. It was a long time ago and my memory is fuzzy, but I do remember playing simple video games set up as kiosks, and these games were created specifically for this museum's exhibit. I believe this Energy Quizz game was made for such a kiosk setup, but I'd have to play it to be sure. If it doesn't use the keypad at all, it means you could plug Atari 2600 controllers into a ColecoVision hidden inside the kiosk, or even build a tabletop controller (built into the kiosk) with arcade machine parts.

Is this the same KIOSK that was in department stores like Jefferson Wards?
1982 is when I first seen the Colecovision on the KIOSK and next to it was the Intellivision and TI994A.
They eventually threw them out and I grabbed the controllers because they broke the whole thing into a hundred pieces.

#252 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 8,239 posts

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2019 10:55 AM

Is this the same KIOSK that was in department stores like Jefferson Wards?

No, it was a custom kiosk, made specifically for the museum exhibit. In fact, there were several of these kiosks at this exhibit, because I remember always going back to the same one, because the other similar kiosks were less interesting.

You couldn't see what machine was inside the kiosk, just the screen (behind a protective glass IIRC) and the controller, much like an arcade cabinet, only slightly cheaper-looking.

At the time, this was the kind of custom job that the Canadian government would have outsourced to a local software company, funded via some kind of technology-for-kids government program.

With the opening title screen featuring the Canadian flag in Energy Quizz, I'm thinking this game could have actually been part of that technology museum exhibit I'm talking about, or something similar.

#253 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 6,279 posts

Posted Mon Apr 8, 2019 11:03 AM

No, it was a custom kiosk, made specifically for the museum exhibit. In fact, there were several of these kiosks at this exhibit, because I remember always going back to the same one, because the other similar kiosks were less interesting.

You couldn't see what machine was inside the kiosk, just the screen (behind a protective glass IIRC) and the controller, much like an arcade cabinet, only slightly cheaper-looking.

At the time, this was the kind of custom job that the Canadian government would have outsourced to a local software company, funded via some kind of technology-for-kids government program.

With the opening title screen featuring the Canadian flag in Energy Quizz, I'm thinking this game could have actually been part of that technology museum exhibit I'm talking about, or something similar.

Are you sure it wasn't one of those Telidon/Teliguide kiosks I (half-jokingly) referenced in my earlier post? I used one frequently (it was perfect for 10 year-olds!) at the Thornhill Square Mall just around that time (1982-3), and though most were placed around the Toronto area, I'm sure Ottawa had some, too. They had a number of accessible programs, although I don't remember anything along the lines of Energy Quiz.

#254 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 8,239 posts

Posted Mon Apr 8, 2019 11:32 AM

Are you sure it wasn't one of those Telidon/Teliguide kiosks I (half-jokingly) referenced in my earlier post? I used one frequently (it was perfect for 10 year-olds!) at the Thornhill Square Mall just around that time (1982-3), and though most were placed around the Toronto area, I'm sure Ottawa had some, too. They had a number of accessible programs, although I don't remember anything along the lines of Energy Quiz.

I've never seen the "Telidon/Teliguide" kiosks you're talking about, and it was way too long ago, so I couldn't say. I barely remember my school trip to that Ottawa museum.

EDIT: Just googled Telidon/Teliguide, and I don't think that's what I saw at the museum.

Edited by Pixelboy, Mon Apr 8, 2019 11:36 AM.

#255 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 6,279 posts

Posted Mon Apr 8, 2019 12:49 PM

I've never seen the "Telidon/Teliguide" kiosks you're talking about, and it was way too long ago, so I couldn't say. I barely remember my school trip to that Ottawa museum.

EDIT: Just googled Telidon/Teliguide, and I don't think that's what I saw at the museum.

For those who may be curious. I have to say, though, that they didn't look like that in malls. They were put into arcade cabinet kiosks and had touch screens (I used them to look up the weather in Northern Ontario). There was a bunch of crap on the systems...little of which was of interest to the general public. OT, but around 1998 I saw an entire store on Queen St. in Toronto that was stacked to the ceiling with these things. It must have been every Teleguide unit used in Ontario...

#256 Loafer OFFLINE  

Loafer

Star Raider

• 72 posts

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2019 6:39 PM

I've never seen the "Telidon/Teliguide" kiosks you're talking about, and it was way too long ago, so I couldn't say. I barely remember my school trip to that Ottawa museum.EDIT: Just googled Telidon/Teliguide, and I don't think that's what I saw at the museum.

I live in the Ottawa region and have often gone to the Science and Technology museum you are referring too. I don't specifically remember that colecovision game BUT at that the time they had a computer games corner exactly as you describe, with just the monitor and controller (or keyboard) for other games or experiences, one I remember was that "psychologist" type program called Eliza, they also had computer space and a few more modern (color) games.

Incidentally they have refurbished that museum and just reopened about two years ago. If I understand correctly they have a new warehouse next door to store thousands of past items. The likelyhood is they still have that old setup stored there,

#257 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,163 posts

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2019 6:46 PM

This thread is getting more and more interesting! :) 

#258 Mike Harris OFFLINE  

Mike Harris

Chopper Commander

• 246 posts

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2019 8:57 PM

Telidon/Teliguide" kiosks?

I know before I bought my first ADAM there was a department store inside the 163rd street mall named Burdines that I would hang out every day.  The salesman allowed me to play and program all their machines from the Vic 20, TI994A and the ADAM because it drove the sales up.

Anyway I know that one of these devices or something really similar came out in Miami around 1983 that allowed you to go to message boards, time, weather and some basic games like Colossal Cave Adventure which I would play till store closing if I wasn't doing something else.  I remember the Vectrex came out around then as well.

I wish I could track that down but I have yet to see it in the computer history museum website.

Edited by Mike Harris, Tue Apr 9, 2019 9:00 PM.

#259 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 4,178 posts

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:11 AM

For those who may be curious. I have to say, though, that they didn't look like that in malls. They were put into arcade cabinet kiosks and had touch screens (I used them to look up the weather in Northern Ontario). There was a bunch of crap on the systems...little of which was of interest to the general public. OT, but around 1998 I saw an entire store on Queen St. in Toronto that was stacked to the ceiling with these things. It must have been every Teleguide unit used in Ontario...

Was the store Active Surplus with the gorilla out front. Sadly the store closed in 2015. In the early 1980s, quite a bit of money was invested in these teletext/videotex systems. They thought everyone would have a terminal in their homes for news, banking, and shopping. These things were strictly character based with a fixed character set, so it doesn't apply to energy quiz.

We still don't know if Energy Quiz was only a proposal, a test project, or something that was actually implemented by the ministry of energy mines, and resources. Maybe, if more people see the game, someone out there might remember it.

Edited by mr_me, Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:23 AM.

#260 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 6,279 posts

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:51 AM

Was the store Active Surplus with the gorilla out front. Sadly the store closed in 2015. In the early 1980s, quite a bit of money was invested in these teletext/videotex systems. They thought everyone would have a terminal in their homes for news, banking, and shopping. These things were strictly character based with a fixed character set, so it doesn't apply to energy quiz.
We still don't know if Energy Quiz was only a proposal, a test project, or something that was actually implemented by the ministry of energy mines, and resources. Maybe, if more people see the game, someone out there might remember it.

It had bit-mapped graphics, though. The Environment Canada “mini-site” had a map of Ontario and each town had a different scene, like a moose or whatnot.

Can’t remember the name of the store on Queen, but it was downtown. It was closed, so I didn’t go in, but it definitely stopped me in my tracks.

I found a video on YouTube that shows a similar, but not identitical, weather display. The ones in the kiosks had static displays and did not scroll.

#261 Mike Harris OFFLINE  

Mike Harris

Chopper Commander

• 246 posts

Posted Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:16 AM

Yes, I forgot banking as well.
Chiclet keyboard and character graphics like a Commodore 64.  I think down here it was from AT&T.

You guys just made me remember.  It was called the AT&T Sceptre Videotex Terminal, 1983 | Videotex, teletext.

Edited by Mike Harris, Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:19 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colecovision, prototype, unreleased

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users