IGNORED

Another unreleased CV game found and preserved!

retroillucid

Most expensive ever? Im going to guess that someone found a proto of Wild Western.

That would be a great find and a very surprising one considering i've acquired a number of collections from former Coleco employees over the years who were avid gamers and none of then had Wild Western. But then again, no one had what J-F acquired.

I could imagine Wild Western, maybe with some kind of Roller Controller support...

This is going to sound strange, but what the hell? When I was in college, in about 1992, I imagined 2 ColecoVision games coming out in the future. I was in a tired dreamlike state, ... and I figured I half thought, half dreamed this. One game I thought could exist (And I swear I imagined it existing) was Astro Invader! Which now exists as a homebrew available in AtariAge's store! I've always been meaning to buy that someday...And maybe since Astro Invader already exists, maybe it's Astro Fighter? (A time for obscure guesses, right?)

But... on to the other one, which is not likely at all since the game came out in arcades in 1986 and seems too advanced for Coleco's hardware; But in my tired state I also imagined the game BreakThru from Data East coming out somehow for the ColecoVision...Remember they thought Zaxxon might be too hard for Coleco before it came out.

P.S. I'm sure it's neither of these, but wanted to make obscure guesses and tell the story :)

• Like 2

It is not Dino Eggs

I've checked the list and I think there's mistakes where Sydney Development sould be Sierra Online

All the Wiz games as an example

But there were ties between Sydney and Sierra as far as I understand.

Dang it. Gotta get a new phone as I can't open the Collectors List on my ancient S3!!!!

ED: can't type right either.

Edited by NIAD

I've checked the list and I think there's mistakes where Sydney Development sould be Sierra Online

All the Wiz games as an example

Maybe difference between developer and publisher

Sierra : http://colecoboxart.com/colecovision-publishers-developers.htm#sie

Sydney : http://colecoboxart.com/colecovision-publishers-developers.htm#syd

Too bad it's not Dino Eggs, as that would have been the find of the century. That game is a PERFECT one for Coleco. I still play the Apple II version to this day, it's incredibly fun and has a perfect combination of action and strategy.

Ditto for Crisis Mountain.

It's such a shame these never saw the light of day back in the day.

• Like 2

I have no plans too but if I wanted to release a Smurf game on the Colecovision I could into the public domain despite Sony owning the rights to distribute the movies as long as I am not making a cent on it.

While it is not relevant to this topic, I would like to add that a few years ago a guy made his own Smurf game for the Amiga, posted it on his website for download and may have mentioned it in an Amiga forum. Not long afterwards, he got a VERY harsh Cease & Desist letter from the lawyers representing the Smurf IP, so he had no other option than removing it. That was not a commercial product, just a labour of love. Of course if you work entirely under pseudonym on the Internet so nobody can determine who you are or who owns your website, you probably will be fine. The worst that can happen is that your ISP closes down your website for breach of rights.

Most intellectual properties are strongly guarded, but the Smurfs may be one of the most protected ones, perhaps even more than Nintendo's.

• Like 1

While it is not relevant to this topic, I would like to add that a few years ago a guy made his own Smurf game for the Amiga, posted it on his website for download and may have mentioned it in an Amiga forum. Not long afterwards, he got a VERY harsh Cease & Desist letter from the lawyers representing the Smurf IP, so he had no other option than removing it. That was not a commercial product, just a labour of love. Of course if you work entirely under pseudonym on the Internet so nobody can determine who you are or who owns your website, you probably will be fine. The worst that can happen is that your ISP closes down your website for breach of rights.

Most intellectual properties are strongly guarded, but the Smurfs may be one of the most protected ones, perhaps even more than Nintendo's.

I hear ya...

I wonder if Robot Chicken understands those rules because they DO make money off of the likeness of pretty much all characters across the spectrum.

Parody or not....

Besides, copywrites don't last forever unless you are Disney.

Edited by Mike Harris

Yes, I'm aware of that

But still, there's still some mistakes in the list

If there are mistakes could you please let me know what they are. I'd like to correct them for the next release of the Collectors List.

I guess technically the unreleased games should be listed with two names, developer & publisher, however in virtually all cases only one is known. For instance, in the case of the Wiz games Sydney may have been the developer and Sierra may have been the planned publisher. The ColecoVision FAQ, which is where I suspect most of this info originates, labels "manufacturer" for each of the unreleased games despite the fact the games were never manufactured. I also suspect that the unreleased games list is derived from publishers advertising vapourware via leaflets, brochures and magazine adverts. What's strange is that Sydney didn't directly publish any of the games they developed so where did the FAQ get information that Sydney were developing these Wiz games. Did Sydney advertise them somewhere? Or did Sierra?

I hear ya...

I wonder if Robot Chicken understands those rules because they DO make money off of the likeness of pretty much all characters across the spectrum.

Parody or not....

Besides, copywrites don't last forever unless you are Disney.

Copyrights are the same for everyone and thanks to disney, terms are longer than they use to be. You are certainly free to argue parody for your game; a judge will have the final say on fair use. A cease and desist letter is just a threat and not always fair or just. Edited by mr_me

Those games has already been found and dumped

The unreleased game we have has NEVER been dumped/released before

Full games have been found and dumped???? The only dump i'm aware of are not at all full game and far to be...:(

Just a question , the game in question , is it a good game? Or something more average?

If there are mistakes could you please let me know what they are. I'd like to correct them for the next release of the Collectors List.

I guess technically the unreleased games should be listed with two names, developer & publisher, however in virtually all cases only one is known. For instance, in the case of the Wiz games Sydney may have been the developer and Sierra may have been the planned publisher. The ColecoVision FAQ, which is where I suspect most of this info originates, labels "manufacturer" for each of the unreleased games despite the fact the games were never manufactured. I also suspect that the unreleased games list is derived from publishers advertising vapourware via leaflets, brochures and magazine adverts. What's strange is that Sydney didn't directly publish any of the games they developed so where did the FAQ get information that Sydney were developing these Wiz games. Did Sydney advertise them somewhere? Or did Sierra?

I'll contact you when I've a bit of free time

Not all Wiz games were made by Sydney though

The only game (I know of) they developped and publish is Evolution