IGNORED

New PC controller compatibility for your 7800

ave1

There's now a way to make 80s and 90s PC joysticks, steering wheels, and gamepads compatible with the Atari 7800 one and two button games. For the one button games
all you need is this adapter: https://ebay.us/ON1DA8

For the two button games three adapters are required:

Adapter #1: Edladdin Seagull 78
Adapter #2: Sega Master System Rapid Fire Adapter
Adapter #3: 15 pin PC controller to Atari/Amiga adapter made by Ebay seller Ikonsgr74

Also included in the presentation is a unique way to play Robotron 2084 with combined gamepads.

Enjoy enhancing your 7800 games.

Edited by ave1
  • Like 3

The question is whether analog "long throw" PC controllers are really that great for playing 7800 games designed for rather short-throw digital joysticks. It might be more useful to have a PC joystick to 5200 converter.

There are a bunch of good PC gamepads that would work with this, too, not just long-throw joysticks, including the extremely popular Gravis Gamepads and Gravis Gamepad Pros - big fan of those.

Many thanks to the OP for sharing!!!

• Like 1

ANY COMPUTER EQUIPPED WITH 9 Pin D JOYSTICK PORT!
(*Note: Some more complicated/advanced Gamepads that needed special drivers in windows, might not work.)
(You can see a very nice presentation about usage and compatibility of the adapter here ,thanks a lot Steve! ;-) )

This Includes:
AMIGA & ATARI ST (with 2nd Fire button support),
ATARI 8bit (except Atari 7800),C64/128,VIC 20,
MSX Computers (set switches to 'msx' position as shown in the photo)
And practically
ANY COMPUTER EQUIPPED WITH A STANDARD ATARI TYPE JOYSTICK PORT!

I see the text in red and start to get confused as to its compatibility with the 7800 :/

Right, pretty sure that's why the OP said you need three adapters (not just the top one that is linked) in order to play two-button games on the 7800.

I'm specifically talking about the wording in the eBay listing. Thus the quoted text with color highlighting.

It's good that there's a solution once you have the product. I have to admit using a Playstation to Genesis adapter on my 7800 so nothing is too convoluted :P

I'm specifically talking about the wording in the eBay listing. Thus the quoted text with color highlighting.

It's good that there's a solution once you have the product. I have to admit using a Playstation to Genesis adapter on my 7800 so nothing is too convoluted :P

Yes, I know what you're talking about. We're on the same page. My assumption is the seller has that in the listing b/c as-is, it won't work with two-button games. Hence the OP stating you need those other adapters in conjunction with that eBay item.

I agree that it's a bit much needing all of these adapters just to get something to work with a 7800. I'm perfectly happy with my CX-78, though I know I'm in the minority on that :)

• Like 1

Someday, someone is going to make a USB joystick to 7800 console adapter out of an Arduino and make a few dollars. I think this topics solution indicates a critical point where consumers might just spend a little extra.

I've seen and bought plenty of classic console joystick to PC solutions. Time for turning that on its head: Use readily available retro PC USB joysticks for old consoles.