Ok, so let's do a recap of where we are now in terms of games:
- We have 3 games in different stages of development already running in the new hardware, Donkey Kong, Moon Patrol, Zaxxon
- 1 game has been started but still not running, Galaga
Those are the 4 launch games we selected. It would be a good idea to decide on improvements as soon as possible, so I can plan and get those games completed on schedule. Some of them pose some challenges in themselves:
- Moon Patrol uses 3 planes, and we have 2. I will have to be creative here.
- Zaxxon uses a very unusual hardware for background graphics, will require custom engine and possibly huge number of tiles and VROM
- Galaga uses two CPUs in parallel for game processing, I am assuming that isn't a big deal, but until I can get the game running, that is a red flag
So while we may dream with a lot of stuff, I must keep things down to Earth in terms of new content we will include.
Here are some suggestions:
- DK: 2-players simultaneous. 2~4 new screens. After further consideration, I think we should go for exclusive new screens instead of using existing material.
- Galaga: 2-players simultaneous. New thematic stages?
- Moon Patrol: New course. What else for 2 players?
- Zaxxon: New asteroid. What else for 2 players?
And with the remixed graphic modes (16-bit style), that should be pretty good content.
BTW, fun fact: did you know there is vestigial evidence of a 5th stage in Donkey Kong?
DK - exclusive new screens sounds like fun - plus a chance for you to show off your creative talents, which is always a good thing.
Galaga - how about including Galaxian instead of new stages? Or is that completely out of the question?
Moon Patrol - whatever you decide (I've always sucked at that game so its not high on my list).
Zaxxon - when you ask "what else for 2 players" are we talking 2 player simultaneous? One of my favorite Neo Geo titles is Viewpoint (a definite homage to Zaxxon) and enabling 2 player simultaneous play via the debug BIOS has always been the best part.