IGNORED

Kaboom! Deluxe!

SpiceWare

We'll be featuring Kaboom! Deluxe! LIVE on today's ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT|2PM ET|7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games Today:

- Kaboom! Deluxe (2019 WIP Hack) by Darrell Spice Jr.
- Moth (2006) by Simone Serra aka Seemo
- Snowball Fight (2019 WIP) by Captain Spazer
- Risky Rick (2018 CV) by ArcadeVision

EDIT: Updated with video!

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 1

Based on feedback from the ZeroPage Homebrew stream, I'll be adding something to limit how many pixels the Mad Bomber can be moved on each frame. The pixel limit will increase after each round. Will likely add additional game variations 4+ which each start with a higher initial pixel limit (so game 5 would be more difficult than 3).

Sunset/skyline will be done first though as I've already started in on that.

• Like 2

It'll be another week before the next update. We found out my nephew's been taking online courses in the army using his phone, which is a bit difficult to do, so mom's giving him her old 2010 MacBook Air. I'm in the process of refurbishing it (clean install, new battery, OpenEMU, etc).

Photo is my dad, Brandin, & my mom at his graduation from Basic Training back in October. Our trip to Fort Benning is the furthest I've taken my Tesla so far, details here if you're interested in learning how an EV works out on road trips.

post-3056-0-27744000-1549731746_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I think that'd cause confusion for the player controlling the bomber, such as if this happened:

• At the end of prior round Mad Bomber was left in the middle.
  • Player about to control the Mad Bomber has paddle all the way to the left
  • At start of round player turns paddle right to move Mad Bomber right
  • However, Mad Bomber goes left because paddle wasn't turned past the mid-way point.

if there's any way to slow down the bomber?

Yes, that's what I was talking about adding in reply #29. As mentioned in reply #31 I'm currently taking a break from the hack because I'm setting up mom's old MacBook Air for my nephew. I finished the laptop last night. I included some entertainment options for him via OpenEMU:

post-3056-0-32108700-1550068432_thumb.jpg

Tonight I'll be writing up some instructions for him, such as this that I started on last night:

Bluetooth Gamepad.pages.pdf

Also did the first full backup via Time Machine last night, which took quite a while as the laptop has USB 2.0 ports. I'll be working up instructions about Time Machine and other things tonight.

Also, what about 1 bomber and 2 catchers? i.e. 3 player game? ;-)

There's only enough time to read 2 paddles per frame. To read 3 or 4 would require reading different paddles on alternating frames, which would reduce the movement to 30 fps. I won't be doing this as I believe Kaboom! needs 60 fps.

• Like 2

I think that'd cause confusion for the player controlling the bomber, such as if this happened:

• At the end of prior round Mad Bomber was left in the middle.
  • Player about to control the Mad Bomber has paddle all the way to the left
  • At start of round player turns paddle right to move Mad Bomber right
  • However, Mad Bomber goes left because paddle wasn't turned past the mid-way point.

Good point.

Having a game option with dampening down the bomber motion is a good idea though.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

While I could be wrong, I don't think we can make it available in the store for the same reason that none of the Activision ROMs for released games are in the AtariAge database. I'll check with Al to confirm it one way or the other after I've finished the hack.

I've changed the game to support game variations up to 8. I've also done some preliminary work on the Mad Bomber throttling, but it's not working.

post-3056-0-43070700-1552487522.png

Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it this week, been distracted from it by RL events such as my solar panel installation and the drive to Galveston with the Houston Tesla club.

• Like 1

Hmm, looks like I have a couple other things to fix. The Activision logo is a bit scrambled, and when attract mode kicks in the bottom area shows things it shouldn't.

post-3056-0-24342800-1552488323.png

The logo issue is most likely due to a branch that's now crossing a page. It might fix itself by the time I finish writing the Mad Bomber throttling routine.

• Like 1

While I could be wrong, I don't think we can make it available in the store for the same reason that none of the Activision ROMs for released games are in the AtariAge database. I'll check with Al to confirm it one way or the other after I've finished the hack.

Please do check with Al. I note that AA re-released Activision's Plaque Attack for Trak-Ball control support! Wonder how that one got released then on a cart?

• Like 2

Keeping an eye out here for updates. 8 variations? Sounds great.

Think you said about stripping out the screensaver code - might be worth doing if it's going to cause pain - but you might want to fix it as a point of principle!! :)

The "Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it this week" didn't occur, been battling a politician who introduced a bill that'll prevent Tesla from even servicing/repairing vehicles in the state of Texas. It's pathetic that its easier to buy and service an American made Tesla in China than it is here in Texas.

Can read about it here.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a wonderful hack to play with my kids. Thank you very much.

I was playing it earlier on my light sixer.

I noticed one issue, however: when playing mode 3 and P1 is the bomber, the difficultly switch for P2 seems to be stuck on the "a" difficulty. That is, P2 can only use the small buckets (or whatever they are) for catching bombs. If I flip the switch from "a" to "b" the large buckets appear for a split second but them immediately shrink again.

Edited by spspspsp
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, Kaboomer said:

Hey there, SpiceWare! Checking in on this...  :)

No change, RL has been keeping me busy.  Had a medical scare with dad and a road trip to Wisconsin. Dad's having surgery tomorrow, so I'm sure I won't be doing any Atari stuff this weekend either.

• Like 1